Re: RT-11 support for the PC11/PC05 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: RT-11 support for the PC11/PC05 - VMS ; >Bob Armstrong wrote: > Does RT11 support the PC05/PC11 high speed reader punch? I just >took it for granted that it would, but I can't find the device driver >for it in any recent (e.g. 5.x) version of RT. > ...

  1. Re: RT-11 support for the PC11/PC05

    >Bob Armstrong wrote:

    > Does RT11 support the PC05/PC11 high speed reader punch? I just
    >took it for granted that it would, but I can't find the device driver
    >for it in any recent (e.g. 5.x) version of RT.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bob Armstrong

    Jerome Fine replies:

    The PC.SYS device driver was retired as of V05.05 of RT-11. However, it
    is still
    available in prior versions of RT-11.

    An RT-11 collection of binary distributions up to V05.03 of RT-11 is
    available at:
    http://www.classiccmp.org/PDP-11/RT-11/dists/
    RT11DV10.ISO.zip
    For those individuals legally licensed to use V05.07 of RT-11, a second
    file,
    RT11DV50.ISO.zip
    is available with binary distributions up to V05.07 of RT-11.

    Mentec also included the commented source code, PC.MAC, in the V05.07 binary
    distribution of RT-11, although it is now officially UNSUPPORTED.

    Of course, since it is apparent that Mentec no longer even seems to accept a
    payment for a license of any PDP-11 software, let alone provides support
    for any PDP-11 software, that aspect will now fall on the hobby users of
    RT-11.

    As one of the hobby users, I am currently looking at fixing bugs in RT-11.
    Recently, the command:
    SET RUN [NO] VBGEXE
    was fixed, although there are rather annoying side effects - which I have
    found to be easily fixed as far as my experience is concerned.

    And although no one else seems to be interested (they seem to have the
    excuse that they will be dead by the date that is of interest), the Y9K
    bug is of great interest. Does anyone else agree or disagree? Comments
    are requested!

    What else do you want to know?

    Sincerely yours,

    Jerome Fine

  2. Re: RT-11 support for the PC11/PC05

    Jerome H. Fine wrote:
    (snip)

    > An RT-11 collection of binary distributions up to V05.03 of RT-11 is
    > available at:
    > http://www.classiccmp.org/PDP-11/RT-...11DV10.ISO.zip

    yes

    > For those individuals legally licensed to use V05.07 of RT-11, a second
    > file,
    > RT11DV50.ISO.zip
    > is available with binary distributions up to V05.07 of RT-11.

    No, I don't see any file like that.

    -- glen

  3. Re: RT-11 support for the PC11/PC05

    >glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

    > >Jerome H. Fine wrote:

    >> An RT-11 collection of binary distributions up to V05.03 of RT-11 is
    >> available at:
    >> http://www.classiccmp.org/PDP-11/RT-...11DV10.ISO.zip

    > yes
    >
    >> For those individuals legally licensed to use V05.07 of RT-11, a
    >> second file,
    >> RT11DV50.ISO.zip
    >> is available with binary distributions up to V05.07 of RT-11.

    > No, I don't see any file like that.

    Jerome Fine replies:

    There is a difference between "available at" and "available".

    Can you provide documentation that you have access to a PDP-11 which has a
    legal license to run V05.07 of RT-11?

    On the other hand, if you have any questions about RT-11 itself, the
    hobby users
    here will do their best to answer.

    And if you would care to answer, how do you intend to run RT-11? As far as
    hobby users are concerned, V05.03 of RT-11 provides 99% of the facilities
    that would be helpful to use and learn to run RT-11 based programs,
    including
    the ability to partition disk (or files if you are running under the
    SIMH emulator)
    up to 8 GB in size. Under SIMH that might be a bit of a problem since no
    operating system I use supports files of more than about 2 GB, but that
    should
    be far more than enough under RT-11 which is easily able to run on 10 MB
    drives and have more than half of the drive for working space.

    If you master RT-11 using V05.03 of RT-11, then it will be time to graduate
    and try running under V05.07 which is the only official version which
    supports
    dates from years 2000 to 2099.

    On the other hand, I intend to provide hobby users (even if it kills
    them) with
    Y2K compliant utilities for V05.03 of RT-11 followed by Y9K compliant
    software. Does anyone want to participate? Over the past 10 years, the
    answer has been consistent -
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Sincerely yours,

    Jerome Fine

  4. Re: RT-11 support for the PC11/PC05

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 00:03:35 -0400, "Jerome H. Fine"
    wrote:

    > >Bob Armstrong wrote:

    >> Does RT11 support the PC05/PC11 high speed reader punch? I just
    >>took it for granted that it would, but I can't find the device driver
    >>for it in any recent (e.g. 5.x) version of RT.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Bob Armstrong
    >>

    >Jerome Fine replies:
    >
    >The PC.SYS device driver was retired as of V05.05 of RT-11. However, it
    >is still
    >available in prior versions of RT-11.

    It was retired and placed in the DECUS library in V5.5.

    As of V5.06 or V5.07 (I forget which) it is back on the kit but
    unsupported.

    Ian

  5. Re: RT-11 support for the PC11/PC05

    >paramucho wrote:

    >>On Sun, 25 May 2008 00:03:35 -0400, "Jerome H. Fine" wrote:

    >>>Bob Armstrong wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Does RT11 support the PC05/PC11 high speed reader punch? I just
    >>>took it for granted that it would, but I can't find the device driver
    >>>for it in any recent (e.g. 5.x) version of RT.
    >>>

    >>Jerome Fine replies:
    >>
    >>The PC.SYS device driver was retired as of V05.05 of RT-11. However, it
    >>is still
    >>available in prior versions of RT-11.
    >>

    >It was retired and placed in the DECUS library in V5.5.
    >
    >As of V5.06 or V5.07 (I forget which) it is back on the kit but
    >unsupported.

    Jerome Fine replies:

    Is there a link to access the DECUS library?

    You are correct about the PC.MAC file being included in V05.07 of the binary
    distribution of RT-11, but not on V05.05 or V05.06 of the distributions
    of RT-11.

    If you want to refer back to may post of the above date and time, that
    information
    immediately follows the paragraph which you included.

    Does anyone read the complete post these days?

    I will not bother to include the other questions, I anyone is really
    interested. see
    the original post from around May 25th, 2008.

    Sincerely yours,

    Jerome Fine

  6. Re: RT-11 support for the PC11/PC05

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:15:19 -0400, "Jerome H. Fine"
    wrote:

    >>>The PC.SYS device driver was retired as of V05.05 of RT-11. However, it
    >>>is still
    >>>available in prior versions of RT-11.
    >>>

    >>It was retired and placed in the DECUS library in V5.5.
    >>
    >>As of V5.06 or V5.07 (I forget which) it is back on the kit but
    >>unsupported.
    >>

    >Jerome Fine replies:
    >
    >Is there a link to access the DECUS library?

    Most of it was destroyed. Some of it has been recovered:

    http://www.classiccmp.org/PDP-11/RT-...eware/decus11/

    But the retired drivers are not among these contributions.

    >You are correct about the PC.MAC file being included in V05.07 of the binary
    >distribution of RT-11, but not on V05.05 or V05.06 of the distributions
    >of RT-11.
    >
    >If you want to refer back to may post of the above date and time, that
    >information
    >immediately follows the paragraph which you included.
    >
    >Does anyone read the complete post these days?

    I tend to make one-stop replies.

    And I tend not to be grouchy :-)

    Ian

  7. Re: RT-11 support for the PC11/PC05

    Don't Tim Shoppa have almost everything from DECUS on Trailing Edge?

    Johnny

    --
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    email: bqt@softjar.se || Reading murder books