Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file - VMS

This is a discussion on Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file - VMS ; Peter Weaver wrote: >> ... >> Any reference to that "free flex program" ? > > You can get the "Flex 3.0 SDK for all Platforms" from the link at the bottom > of http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitle...m?e=flex3email . The page > also ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    Peter Weaver wrote:
    >> Any reference to that "free flex program" ?

    > You can get the "Flex 3.0 SDK for all Platforms" from the link at the bottom
    > of http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitle...m?e=flex3email. The page
    > also has a link to download Flex Builder (which is what Richard used to get
    > his pie charts on the example he did) but that download is only good for 60
    > days. I did not bother with the Flex Builder since I know there is no way I
    > can justify the cost of the full Flex Builder.

    And the "Flex Builder" is the same thing as what's called
    "Flex Builder 3 Professional" on that page, right ?

    Anyway, the "Flex 3.0 SDK" seems to be enough to build some
    working examples, as I understand.

    B.t.w., the page says "(ZIP, 38 MB)" about the SDK, but I got
    a 80 MB ZIP file after download...

    Jan-Erik.

    > Peter Weaver
    > www.weaverconsulting.ca www.openvmsvirtualization.com
    > www.vaxvirtualization.com www.alphavirtualization.com

  2. Re: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    Jan-Erik S÷derholm wrote:
    > B.t.w., the page says "(ZIP, 38 MB)" about the SDK, but I got
    > a 80 MB ZIP file after download...

    Mine is 80 MB too.

    Arne

  3. Re: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    Richard Maher wrote:
    > Hi JF,
    >
    >> You have to specify Array.NUMERIC when you call the sortOn Array method.
    >> for example: myarray.sortOn('item', Array.NUMERIC);

    > I think the problem Peter's experiencing is on the default Flex datagrid
    > column sort. (ie. Just clicking on the column header). I don't use the
    > gratuitous waste of bandwith that is XML myself and am not sure how one
    > would distinguish a numeric from a string (although if you look at the Adobe
    > Dashboard example for a while it can't be too hard to figure out as it (with
    > XML) certainly works there.)

    [snip]

    The array is the one specified as the dataProvider of the datagrid. Just
    specified the flag and Flex do the job for you when you click on the
    column title.

    if you specified the sortOn method using Array.NUMERIC the array will be
    sorted (for this column) using a numeric sort instead of a string sort.

    My example use the AMF protocol which is native in Flex (according to
    the PyAMF site using AMF allow applications to load data up to 10 times
    faster than with text-based formats such as XML or SOAP.)

    JF
    ps.
    As promise a long time ago, I have set up a repository will full source
    of my example. I have,initially, planed to rewrite it using PureMVC but
    due to lack of time it's delayed, so I have decide to publish the code
    asis. I also expect to publish another example because 3 students are
    working on a T4 data browser using Flex.
    Send me email with a valid email and I will give you access (read only
    or read/write if you want to collaborate) to the repository.

  4. RE: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    Yeah, statements like "VMS is text based.." is like saying "Windows is
    DOS based ..".

    While both statements are correct, it is also true that both statements
    do not reflect today's reality.

    My standard response to naysayers questions about a shortage of Operations
    staff to manage OpenVMS environments is:

    "Do you meant to tell me that your Operations staff do not know how to
    use a standard mouse?"

    [Any OpenVMS environment today can be setup to be managed by first level
    Operations staff with a GUI Windows and/or Web based browser environment]

    Yes, Support Admins use command line interfaces, but that is also true for
    all other platforms as well. In fact, one of Windows 2008 selling features
    is a "much enhanced command line interface for enterprise operations"

    Hey - a good command line interface is considered a good thing these days.

    :-)

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  5. Re: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    Main, Kerry wrote:

    > Yeah, statements like "VMS is text based.." is like saying "Windows is
    > DOS based ..".
    >
    > While both statements are correct, it is also true that both statements
    > do not reflect today's reality.

    Considering that HP apologists go out of their way to justify why there
    is no further development of VMS gui applications, the "VMS is text
    based" is truer today than back in the early 1990s.

  6. RE: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    > Yeah, statements like "VMS is text based.." is like saying "Windows is
    > DOS based ..".
    >
    > While both statements are correct, it is also true that both statements
    > do not reflect today's reality.

    You and I know that, we even know that VMS is not dead, but many, many
    people who have been running VMS for years do not know either of those
    points.

    I think I posted here before the story of a person who had 25 years of
    programming experience, most of that doing Fortran on VMS, who could not
    believe that my web pages were being served by VMS because the page had
    colour and graphics.

    Many people I deal with think VMS died back when Palmer told them to go to
    NT.

    Peter Weaver
    www.WeaverConsulting.ca www.OpenVMSvirtualization.com
    www.VAXvirtualization.com www.AlphaVirtualization.com

  7. Re: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    On May 26, 2:02 am, "Main, Kerry" wrote:
> [...]

    A story about updating text based applications on VMS is at
    http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../01/08/3249390

  8. Re: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    Arne Vajh°j wrote:

    > Jan-Erik S÷derholm wrote:
    > > B.t.w., the page says "(ZIP, 38 MB)" about the SDK, but I got
    > > a 80 MB ZIP file after download...

    > Mine is 80 MB too.
    >
    > Arne

    Too many big bytes makes one fat. It's a great to worry health
    authorities...

    Cheers - Dave

    --

  9. Re: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    Peter Weaver wrote:
    > ..., the .mxml file was compiled into the .swf using the free flex
    > program loaded on my IA64 system. The IA64 system can compile the
    > code in about 35 seconds, my Alpha 800 5/500 takes over 3
    > minutes to do the same job.

    Right, so now I have a 80 Meg, close-to-1500-files ZIP file...

    What the heck am I supposed to do with that one to have it
    "loaded" onto my VMS system ? I guess that it's some regular
    set of steps to make a "java install", but I'm more or less
    completly lost as to what to do next.

    I do have a running Java environment, and the installed
    IDE$SERVER (server for the Distibuted Netbeans client) works
    just fine. But that was an PCSI-kit...

    Is there any general VMSINSTAL- or PROD INSTALL-like command
    for Java kits ? Guess not...

    Another thing...

    Peter Weavers example to "compile" mxml files, uses the bash
    command (line wrapped here) :

    > $ bash -c "java -Xmx384m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -jar

    /flex_disk/kits/flex/lib/mxmlc.jar
    +flexlib=/flex_disk/kits/flex/frameworks ''p1' ''p2'
    ''p3' ''p4' ''p5' ''p6' ''p7' ''p8'"

    Is bash needed or can the java command be run directly ?
    And if I *do* need bash, I guess that it's the GNV kit I
    should look for, right ?

    (I could probably also compile the mxml files on some
    other platform, but I'd realy like a VMS-only environment.)

    Oh well, someday I'll probably also understand what's so
    great with this "java thing"... :-) :-)

    Best Regards,
    Jan-Erik.

  10. RE: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    > Right, so now I have a 80 Meg, close-to-1500-files ZIP file...
    >
    > What the heck am I supposed to do with that one to have it
    > "loaded" onto my VMS system ? I guess that it's some regular
    > set of steps to make a "java install", but I'm more or less
    > completly lost as to what to do next.

    Just unzip it to some directory on you system. No installing is needed. In
    my case I put it in a directory called [KITS.FLEX] then I assigned a logical
    named FLEX_DISK (in the MXMLC.COM) to point to the disk drive.

    > Peter Weavers example to "compile" mxml files, uses the bash
    > command (line wrapped here) :
    >
    > > $ bash -c "java -Xmx384m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -jar

    > /flex_disk/kits/flex/lib/mxmlc.jar
    > +flexlib=/flex_disk/kits/flex/frameworks ''p1' ''p2'
    > ''p3' ''p4' ''p5' ''p6' ''p7' ''p8'"
    >
    > Is bash needed or can the java command be run directly ?
    > And if I *do* need bash, I guess that it's the GNV kit I
    > should look for, right ?

    I tried many different combinations of bash and java and logicals until I
    hit a combination that worked. I stopped trying then. But I just tested this
    without the bash and without the quotes.

    This worked (along with all the logicals defined in the MXMLC.COM);
    $ java -Xmx384m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -jar
    /flex_disk/kits/flex/lib/mxmlc.jar
    +flexlib=/flex_disk/kits/flex/frameworks 'p1' 'p2'
    'p3' 'p4' 'p5' 'p6' 'p7' 'p8'

    In my case mxmlc.jar is in flex_disk:[kits.flex.lib] and the framworks.dir
    is in flex_disk:[kits.flex] so you will need to edit this line. Note that
    your disk name (and directories) can not contain a dollar sign (which is why
    I created the flex_disk logical).

    BTW: If you still want bash then yes, it is in the GNV kit.

    > (I could probably also compile the mxml files on some
    > other platform, but I'd realy like a VMS-only environment.)

    Me too.

    > Oh well, someday I'll probably also understand what's so
    > great with this "java thing"... :-) :-)

    Me too.

    Peter Weaver
    www.weaverconsulting.ca www.openvmsvirtualization.com
    www.vaxvirtualization.com www.alphavirtualization.com

  11. Re: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    Jan-Erik S÷derholm wrote:
    > Another thing...
    >
    > Peter Weavers example to "compile" mxml files, uses the bash
    > command (line wrapped here) :
    >
    > > $ bash -c "java -Xmx384m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -jar

    > /flex_disk/kits/flex/lib/mxmlc.jar
    > +flexlib=/flex_disk/kits/flex/frameworks ''p1' ''p2'
    > ''p3' ''p4' ''p5' ''p6' ''p7' ''p8'"
    >
    > Is bash needed or can the java command be run directly ?
    > And if I *do* need bash, I guess that it's the GNV kit I
    > should look for, right ?
    >
    > (I could probably also compile the mxml files on some
    > other platform, but I'd realy like a VMS-only environment.)

    The above should run with DCL instead of bash.

    But an alternative does exist. Flex comes with ant tasks. And
    if they work on VMS, then that should really be the
    preferred way of building.

    > Oh well, someday I'll probably also understand what's so
    > great with this "java thing"... :-) :-)

    It is just another language.

    One great thing is that programs written in Java usually runs
    out of the box on VMS unlike so many C programs.

    Arne

  12. Re: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    Hi Peter, Jan-Erik,

    > Me too.

    Look, me three but I really think you're doing yourselves a disservice by
    not at least looking at FlexBuilder. I didn't want it either and only
    downloaded it 'cos I couldn't see any other way of getting access to Flex
    Charting. I also didn't use the graphical drag-n-drop GUI editor much and
    probably really only used 10% of the functionality, but I'm hooked! (But
    still waiting for a revenue opportunity to justify the price-tag :-)

    I guess I just don't want to give people another excuse to say "Is that how
    you and Fred Flintstone do it on VMS?". And I'd also like to point it out as
    an option for those who don't want the Java/Garbage-Collector bloatware
    running on their VMS boxes.

    Cheers Richard Maher

    PS. The FlexBuilder kit (which includes the Flex 3 SDK) for Windows is also
    enormous, but if the relative sizes of the Java SDKs is anything to go by,
    then it must be about a Terrabyte on OS-X :-)

    "Peter Weaver" wrote in message
    > > Right, so now I have a 80 Meg, close-to-1500-files ZIP file...
    > >
    > > What the heck am I supposed to do with that one to have it
    > > "loaded" onto my VMS system ? I guess that it's some regular
    > > set of steps to make a "java install", but I'm more or less
    > > completly lost as to what to do next.

    > Just unzip it to some directory on you system. No installing is needed. In
    > my case I put it in a directory called [KITS.FLEX] then I assigned a

    logical
    > named FLEX_DISK (in the MXMLC.COM) to point to the disk drive.

    > > Peter Weavers example to "compile" mxml files, uses the bash
    > > command (line wrapped here) :
    > >
    > > > $ bash -c "java -Xmx384m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -jar

    > > /flex_disk/kits/flex/lib/mxmlc.jar
    > > +flexlib=/flex_disk/kits/flex/frameworks ''p1' ''p2'
    > > ''p3' ''p4' ''p5' ''p6' ''p7' ''p8'"
    > >
    > > Is bash needed or can the java command be run directly ?
    > > And if I *do* need bash, I guess that it's the GNV kit I
    > > should look for, right ?

    > I tried many different combinations of bash and java and logicals until I
    > hit a combination that worked. I stopped trying then. But I just tested

    this
    > without the bash and without the quotes.
    >
    > This worked (along with all the logicals defined in the MXMLC.COM);
    > $ java -Xmx384m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -jar
    > /flex_disk/kits/flex/lib/mxmlc.jar
    > +flexlib=/flex_disk/kits/flex/frameworks 'p1' 'p2'
    > 'p3' 'p4' 'p5' 'p6' 'p7' 'p8'
    >
    > In my case mxmlc.jar is in flex_disk:[kits.flex.lib] and the framworks.dir
    > is in flex_disk:[kits.flex] so you will need to edit this line. Note that
    > your disk name (and directories) can not contain a dollar sign (which is

    why
    > I created the flex_disk logical).
    >
    > BTW: If you still want bash then yes, it is in the GNV kit.
    >

    > > (I could probably also compile the mxml files on some
    > > other platform, but I'd realy like a VMS-only environment.)

    > Me too.
    >
    > > Oh well, someday I'll probably also understand what's so
    > > great with this "java thing"... :-) :-)

    > Me too.
    >
    > Peter Weaver
    > www.weaverconsulting.ca www.openvmsvirtualization.com
    > www.vaxvirtualization.com www.alphavirtualization.com

  13. Re: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    Richard Maher wrote:
    > Hi Peter, Jan-Erik,
    >
    >> Me too.

    > Look, me three but I really think you're doing yourselves a disservice by
    > not at least looking at FlexBuilder. I didn't want it either and only
    > downloaded it 'cos I couldn't see any other way of getting access to Flex
    > Charting.

    Yes, that's definitely interesting.
    Did you get the Std or the Prof version of Builder ?
    It seems as it's the Prof version that has
    "advanced charting functions"... !?

    Jan-Erik.

  14. Re: Another Flex/VMS example - Browsing the ACCOUNTNG.DAT file

    Hi Jan-Erik,

    > Did you get the Std or the Prof version of Builder ?
    > It seems as it's the Prof version that has
    > "advanced charting functions"... !?

    Whatever comes with the 60-day free-trial (You may have noticed those
    annoying "Flex Data Visualization" watermarks all over my lovely demo :-)
    But I think it's the Professional mutt's nuts version.

    If only I had access to something like Mick Keyes' self-indulgence allowance
    then I could show you much more.

    Cheers Richard Maher

    PS. The good thing about the 60 day limit is it forces you to pull a finger
    out and have a go. You'll honestly be amazed at how easy it is! For example,
    you could take my .AS and .MXML and .HTML files and build a tiny project and
    be rockin' and rollin' in no time! (The tutorial woe-to-go is also pretty
    useful)

    "Jan-Erik S÷derholm" wrote in message
    > Richard Maher wrote:
    > > Hi Peter, Jan-Erik,
    > >
    > >> Me too.

    > > Look, me three but I really think you're doing yourselves a disservice

    by
    > > not at least looking at FlexBuilder. I didn't want it either and only
    > > downloaded it 'cos I couldn't see any other way of getting access to

    Flex
    > > Charting.

    > Yes, that's definitely interesting.
    > Did you get the Std or the Prof version of Builder ?
    > It seems as it's the Prof version that has
    > "advanced charting functions"... !?
    >
    > Jan-Erik.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2