OT: lost - VMS

This is a discussion on OT: lost - VMS ; I lost a good friend to CRF this week. As you may or may not know, I suffer from chronic nephritis and myriad health issues, so his passing has touched me deeply. We were acquianted about 12+ years ago and ...

  1. OT: lost

    I lost a good friend to CRF this week. As you may or may not know, I
    suffer from chronic nephritis and myriad health issues, so his passing
    has touched me deeply. We were acquianted about 12+ years ago and he
    helped console me when I was contemplating 'early expiry' as a result
    of my life's path crossing with the path of the most vile, pernicious,
    evil, bigoted, and hate-filled despot I have ever had the misfortune of
    knowing. Thanks in part to this friend, I'm here to write today. I'm
    telling this to c.o.v. because I have been blessed to know and to meet
    some truly wonderful people here due to another shared interest -- VMS.
    I'm saddened that I will not be able to meet up with my many VMS friends
    next week in Nashua. So, to those of you here that will be there, have
    fun at bootcamp.

    PS. Lepers, and you know who you are, drink up!

    Maybe next year?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  2. Re: OT: lost

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > PS. Lepers, and you know who you are, drink up!

    Something to cheer you up:

    In the british comedy series "Coupling", one actor got smart when
    negotiating his role. He got the writers to specify that his character
    only drank "Guinness". (the characters spent a lot of time in a bar).

    BBC had fake lager beer to pour into the othert actor's glasses, not not
    having fake Guiness, they ended up having to give him real Guiness !

    If you download/buy the 4 seasons, you can in fact verify that Ben Miles
    (Patrick) only drinks Guiness and that it is real beer in his glasses,
    and the glasses do get emptied during the course of an episode !

    This is verified in the IMDB.

    Thought you might enjoy this. Though of you when I read about it (and
    watched all 4 seasons recently).

  3. Re: OT: lost

    I had hoped to see you in Nashua this year. I thought they where
    getting the black stuff in just for you :-)

    I will have a Guinness in the granite bar just for you.

  4. Re: OT: lost

    In article <531e6213-203e-4c46-9e11-7444c87cc20f@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, IanMiller writes:
    >I had hoped to see you in Nashua this year. I thought they where
    >getting the black stuff in just for you :-)

    Me too but I've been too busy making scumbags monetarily wealthy at the
    detriment to my health, my sanity, and my ability to afford bootcamp.

    I should have taken 'early expirement'.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. Re: OT: lost

    nil carborundum illegitimi

    About your friend - Don't despair - it will get easier to live with
    the loss after a while.

  6. Re: OT: lost

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <531e6213-203e-4c46-9e11-7444c87cc20f@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, IanMiller writes:
    >> I had hoped to see you in Nashua this year. I thought they where
    >> getting the black stuff in just for you :-)

    > Me too but I've been too busy making scumbags monetarily wealthy at the
    > detriment to my health, my sanity, and my ability to afford bootcamp.

    Any chance we can persuade one of the companies sponsoring a bootcamp
    scholarship to consider you as a potential nominee? ISTM that your
    wealth of experience with VMS could only make a good bootcamp experience
    better for the attendees.

    Besides, the Arthur Guinness brewing company will miss a substantial
    portion of their yearly income from the Nashua, NH area. :-)

  7. Re: OT: lost

    In article <482CC820.7030202@comcast.net>, bradhamilton writes:
    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article <531e6213-203e-4c46-9e11-7444c87cc20f@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, IanMiller writes:
    >>> I had hoped to see you in Nashua this year. I thought they where
    >>> getting the black stuff in just for you :-)

    >> Me too but I've been too busy making scumbags monetarily wealthy at the
    >> detriment to my health, my sanity, and my ability to afford bootcamp.

    >Any chance we can persuade one of the companies sponsoring a bootcamp
    >scholarship to consider you as a potential nominee? ISTM that your
    >wealth of experience with VMS could only make a good bootcamp experience
    >better for the attendees.

    I'd think it a little late in the game.

    >Besides, the Arthur Guinness brewing company will miss a substantial
    >portion of their yearly income from the Nashua, NH area. :-)

    Well, Arthur Guinness and co will have no problem staying afloat.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  8. Re: OT: lost

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > I lost a good friend to CRF this week. As you may or may not know, I
    > suffer from chronic nephritis and myriad health issues, so his passing
    > has touched me deeply. We were acquianted about 12+ years ago and he
    > helped console me when I was contemplating 'early expiry' as a result
    > of my life's path crossing with the path of the most vile, pernicious,
    > evil, bigoted, and hate-filled despot I have ever had the misfortune of
    > knowing. Thanks in part to this friend, I'm here to write today. I'm
    > telling this to c.o.v. because I have been blessed to know and to meet
    > some truly wonderful people here due to another shared interest -- VMS.
    > I'm saddened that I will not be able to meet up with my many VMS friends
    > next week in Nashua. So, to those of you here that will be there, have
    > fun at bootcamp.
    >
    > PS. Lepers, and you know who you are, drink up!
    >
    > Maybe next year?

    Brian,

    My sympathies. I just lost a long time friend as well, and I know how
    hard it can be.

    Unfortunately, I can't make the boot camp either (again).

    Next year it will have to be.

    Cheers,
    Jim.
    --
    www.eight-cubed.com

  9. Re: OT: lost

    Hi Brian,

    Sorry for the loss of your friend, and really hope things pick up for you
    soon! (Maybe a couple of days at Bootcamp would be just the tonic? Having
    experienced your company, I know your turning up would certainly be
    beneficial for others even if not for you!)

    Hi Brad,

    > Any chance we can persuade one of the companies sponsoring a bootcamp
    > scholarship to consider you as a potential nominee?

    I believe the last of the Attendee-Funding budget went into helping
    press-gang some of the hotel-cleaners and cafeteria-workers into making up
    the attendance figures. They've agreed to sit in on many of the sessions as
    an alternative to painting the empty seats different colors so that they
    don't look crap on camera. (You know, like they do in football stadiums when
    know one wants to see the game)

    Regards Richard Maher

    IanMiller writes:
    > >> I had hoped to see you in Nashua this year. I thought they where
    > >> getting the black stuff in just for you :-)

    > > Me too but I've been too busy making scumbags monetarily wealthy at the
    > > detriment to my health, my sanity, and my ability to afford bootcamp.

    > Any chance we can persuade one of the companies sponsoring a bootcamp
    > scholarship to consider you as a potential nominee? ISTM that your
    > wealth of experience with VMS could only make a good bootcamp experience
    > better for the attendees.
    >
    > Besides, the Arthur Guinness brewing company will miss a substantial
    > portion of their yearly income from the Nashua, NH area. :-)

  10. Re: OT: lost

    IanMiller wrote:
    > nil carborundum illegitimi

    Noli nothis permittere te terere.

    --
    Markus

  11. Re: OT: lost

    IanMiller wrote:
    > nil carborundum illegitimi

    Noli nothis permittere te terere.

    --
    Markus

  12. Re: OT: lost

    On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:30 PM, IanMiller wrote:
    > I had hoped to see you in Nashua this year. I thought they where
    > getting the black stuff in just for you :-)
    >
    > I will have a Guinness in the granite bar just for you.

    Brian,

    Tried emailing you personally and your provider apparently doesn't
    care for email from Gmail.

    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

    I am also sorry that I won't get to meet you at bootcamp this year.

    Ian got here today, and I will join him in raising a glass to both you
    and the friend you have lost.

    Best regards,

    WWWebb

  13. Re: OT: lost

    On May 15, 6:30 pm, IanMiller wrote:
    > I had hoped to see you in Nashua this year. I thought they where
    > getting the black stuff in just for you :-)
    >
    > I will have a Guinness in the granite bar just for you.

    I had a Guinness in the Granite Bar last night but its pouring far too
    slowly and the bar person gave up after dispensing a few so I did not
    get a second :-(
    .. Apparently the previous keg was OK so guess there has been a
    'technical hitch' somewhere. What we need is someone here who knows
    how to deal with this stuff.

  14. Re: OT: lost

    In article <8660a3a10805172111lbb283ffu53a928681afc50dc@mail.g mail.com>, "William Webb" writes:
    >On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:30 PM, IanMiller wrote:
    >> I had hoped to see you in Nashua this year. I thought they where
    >> getting the black stuff in just for you :-)
    >>
    >> I will have a Guinness in the granite bar just for you.
    >>

    >Brian,
    >
    >Tried emailing you personally and your provider apparently doesn't
    >care for email from Gmail.
    >
    >I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
    >
    >I am also sorry that I won't get to meet you at bootcamp this year.
    >
    >Ian got here today, and I will join him in raising a glass to both you
    >and the friend you have lost.
    >
    >Best regards,
    >
    >WWWebb

    I've banned nearly all of the disposable email providers: hotmail, gmail,
    etc. The amount of SPAM being rejected daily is excruciatingly painful
    to my T1 bandwidth. I will search my SPAM rejection logs for your email
    and put it on the whitelist.

    I am sorry too. When DECUS was still alive, I missed very few. I sent
    myself to nearly every DECUS I ever attended. Bootcamp had become, for
    me, the subrogate for DECUS. However, I just can't afford bootcamp at
    the present time. Ask Sue to fill you in. She's well aware of what/who
    is bleeding me dry financially.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  15. Re: OT: lost

    In article , IanMiller writes:
    >On May 15, 6:30 pm, IanMiller wrote:
    >> I had hoped to see you in Nashua this year. I thought they where
    >> getting the black stuff in just for you :-)
    >>
    >> I will have a Guinness in the granite bar just for you.

    >I had a Guinness in the Granite Bar last night but its pouring far too
    >slowly and the bar person gave up after dispensing a few so I did not
    >get a second :-(
    >.. Apparently the previous keg was OK so guess there has been a
    >'technical hitch' somewhere. What we need is someone here who knows
    >how to deal with this stuff.

    WHAT?? There's Guinness on draught now? Last time in Nashua, Guinness
    was the brewed by Labatt's of Canada bottled variety. To properly pump
    a pint requires some knowledge of the environment such as: an accurate
    temperature reading and accurate gas mixture pressures at the manifold.
    If it's pouring too slow, the pressure of the N2 push may be too low or
    the lines are dirty. Just a little beerstone in the lines can cause a
    slowdown because of fluid dynamic friction along the beer line. Also,
    if the Guinness isn't often poured, the restrictor may be gummed up or
    clogged. Unscrew the black tip of the pump handle faucet and clean out
    the build up (warm/hot water only). There will me a small number that
    is stamped into the restrictor plate (typically 30) which is the pres-
    sure that is needed to force the Guinness through the restrictor. At
    proper storage temp, the CO2 should be between 6-8 PSI and the remain-
    der of the pressure supplied by the N2 push to total 30 PSI. If the
    beer line is long, there is a need for extra pressure because of line
    restriction losses. There are various rules of thumb but I usually go
    with .5 PSI per foot after 6 ft of beer line. Never increase the CO2.
    CO2 is readily dissolved into solution when the solution is cold and
    under pressure. Increasing the CO2 would cause too much carbonation
    to the Guinness. N2, on the otherhand, does not readily dissolve into
    solution and is the ideal "work" gas. (Basic chemisty PV=nRT). If
    a "stout" mix is used (typically a gas mixture of 75% N2/25% CO2), it
    can't be avoided that the Guinness will be over carbonated. In this
    case, the best bet is to change the spout restrictor for a lower PSI
    rated restrictor.

    I do wish that I were there to fix this problem personally.

    Maybe next year.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  16. Re: OT: lost

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article , IanMiller writes:
    >
    >> .. Apparently the previous keg was OK so guess there has been a
    >> 'technical hitch' somewhere. What we need is someone here who knows
    >> how to deal with this stuff.

    > WHAT?? There's Guinness on draught now? Last time in Nashua, Guinness
    > was the brewed by Labatt's of Canada bottled variety. To properly pump
    > a pint requires some knowledge of the environment such as: an accurate
    > temperature reading and accurate gas mixture pressures at the manifold.
    > If it's pouring too slow, the pressure of the N2 push may be too low or
    > the lines are dirty. Just a little beerstone in the lines can cause a
    > slowdown because of fluid dynamic friction along the beer line. Also,
    > if the Guinness isn't often poured, the restrictor may be gummed up or
    > clogged. Unscrew the black tip of the pump handle faucet and clean out
    > the build up (warm/hot water only). There will me a small number that
    > is stamped into the restrictor plate (typically 30) which is the pres-
    > sure that is needed to force the Guinness through the restrictor. At
    > proper storage temp, the CO2 should be between 6-8 PSI and the remain-
    > der of the pressure supplied by the N2 push to total 30 PSI. If the
    > beer line is long, there is a need for extra pressure because of line
    > restriction losses. There are various rules of thumb but I usually go
    > with .5 PSI per foot after 6 ft of beer line. Never increase the CO2.
    > CO2 is readily dissolved into solution when the solution is cold and
    > under pressure. Increasing the CO2 would cause too much carbonation
    > to the Guinness. N2, on the otherhand, does not readily dissolve into
    > solution and is the ideal "work" gas. (Basic chemisty PV=nRT). If
    > a "stout" mix is used (typically a gas mixture of 75% N2/25% CO2), it
    > can't be avoided that the Guinness will be over carbonated. In this
    > case, the best bet is to change the spout restrictor for a lower PSI
    > rated restrictor.

    Or you could just use VMS to regulate/fix all of the above issues. :-)

  17. Re: OT: lost

    In article <48303F99.9080006@comcast.net>, bradhamilton writes:
    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article , IanMiller writes:
    >>
    >>> .. Apparently the previous keg was OK so guess there has been a
    >>> 'technical hitch' somewhere. What we need is someone here who knows
    >>> how to deal with this stuff.

    >> WHAT?? There's Guinness on draught now? Last time in Nashua, Guinness
    >> was the brewed by Labatt's of Canada bottled variety. To properly pump
    >> a pint requires some knowledge of the environment such as: an accurate
    >> temperature reading and accurate gas mixture pressures at the manifold.
    >> If it's pouring too slow, the pressure of the N2 push may be too low or
    >> the lines are dirty. Just a little beerstone in the lines can cause a
    >> slowdown because of fluid dynamic friction along the beer line. Also,
    >> if the Guinness isn't often poured, the restrictor may be gummed up or
    >> clogged. Unscrew the black tip of the pump handle faucet and clean out
    >> the build up (warm/hot water only). There will me a small number that
    >> is stamped into the restrictor plate (typically 30) which is the pres-
    >> sure that is needed to force the Guinness through the restrictor. At
    >> proper storage temp, the CO2 should be between 6-8 PSI and the remain-
    >> der of the pressure supplied by the N2 push to total 30 PSI. If the
    >> beer line is long, there is a need for extra pressure because of line
    >> restriction losses. There are various rules of thumb but I usually go
    >> with .5 PSI per foot after 6 ft of beer line. Never increase the CO2.
    >> CO2 is readily dissolved into solution when the solution is cold and
    >> under pressure. Increasing the CO2 would cause too much carbonation
    >> to the Guinness. N2, on the otherhand, does not readily dissolve into
    >> solution and is the ideal "work" gas. (Basic chemisty PV=nRT). If
    >> a "stout" mix is used (typically a gas mixture of 75% N2/25% CO2), it
    >> can't be avoided that the Guinness will be over carbonated. In this
    >> case, the best bet is to change the spout restrictor for a lower PSI
    >> rated restrictor.

    >Or you could just use VMS to regulate/fix all of the above issues. :-)

    The OS isn't the issue nor the application; it's the costly digital pressure
    guages, digital thermometers, digital control values and digital scales.

    What I'd like to see if VMS lugging the new Guinness can down the stairs and
    cleaning the lines of beerstone with Na5P3O10 (sodium triphosphate).

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

+ Reply to Thread