DEFINE and reboot - VMS

This is a discussion on DEFINE and reboot - VMS ; Hello, I'm trying to reinstall a OpenVMS 8.3 on a AS800. I try to create a logical name like DISK$USERS to create users home directories. I have tried : $ CREATE/SYSTEM DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS] and I can use this logical name ...

  1. DEFINE and reboot

    Hello,

    I'm trying to reinstall a OpenVMS 8.3 on a AS800. I try to create a
    logical name like DISK$USERS to create users home directories.
    I have tried :
    $ CREATE/SYSTEM DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]

    and I can use this logical name to acces to SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]
    but this logical name is not permanent. If I hve understand,
    create/system writes this logical name in a file. Thus, why this
    logical name is erased when AS800 is stopped ?

    Regards,

    JKB

    --
    Le cerveau, c'est un véritable scandale écologique. Il représente 2% de notre
    masse corporelle, mais disperse à lui seul 25% de l'énergie que nous

  2. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    On May 15, 4:58*am, JKB wrote:
    > * * * * Hello,
    >
    > * * * * I'm trying to reinstall a OpenVMS 8.3 on a AS800. I try tocreate a
    > * * * * logical name like DISK$USERS to create users home directories.
    > * * * * I have tried :
    > * * * * $ CREATE/SYSTEM DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]

    Thar's not the best choice for a logical name.
    For starters, any name with a $ is supposed to be for VMS.
    You are suggested to choose underscored in user chosen names.

    More specifically OpenVMS will automagically create DISK$

  3. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    JKB wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to reinstall a OpenVMS 8.3 on a AS800. I try to create a
    > logical name like DISK$USERS to create users home directories.
    > I have tried :
    > $ CREATE/SYSTEM DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]
    >
    > and I can use this logical name to acces to SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]
    > but this logical name is not permanent.

    To create a proper root:

    $DEFINE/SYSTEM/TRANS=(CONCEALED)/EXEC DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS.]

    To be safer, you should have:

    $DEFINE/SYSTEM/TRANS=(CONCEALED,TERMINAL)/EXEC DISK$USERS -
    'f$trnlnm("SYS$DISK","LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE")'[USERS.]

    Note that the . after Users is important. This allows you to use syntax
    such as DISK$USERS:[JOHN_DOE] which will map to dua0:[USERS.JOHN_DOE]

    It is not recommended to put your users under SYS$SYSROOT. This is the
    OS specific directory tree. (in fact, this would go into the node
    specific area of the OS).

    Also, logical names are not permanent. You need to define them whenever
    the system boots. You can add the "define" commands in systartup_vms.com
    or in sylogicals.com (both are in sys$manager: directory).

    Note that if you are in a cluster, you can use

    /TABLE=LNMS$SYSCLUSTER_TABLE instead of /SYSTEM and this logical name
    definition will automatically propage to all nodes in a cluster.

    Note that the /EXEC is there to define the logical in an executuve mode
    which makes it impossible for unprivileged users to redefine. (which
    would be a security issue).

  4. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    Le 15-05-2008, à propos de
    Re: DEFINE and reboot,
    JF Mezei écrivait dans comp.os.vms :
    > JKB wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to reinstall a OpenVMS 8.3 on a AS800. I try to create a
    >> logical name like DISK$USERS to create users home directories.
    >> I have tried :
    >> $ CREATE/SYSTEM DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]
    >>
    >> and I can use this logical name to acces to SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]
    >> but this logical name is not permanent.

    > To create a proper root:
    >
    > $DEFINE/SYSTEM/TRANS=(CONCEALED)/EXEC DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS.]
    >
    > To be safer, you should have:
    >
    > $DEFINE/SYSTEM/TRANS=(CONCEALED,TERMINAL)/EXEC DISK$USERS -
    > 'f$trnlnm("SYS$DISK","LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE")'[USERS.]
    >
    > Note that the . after Users is important. This allows you to use syntax
    > such as DISK$USERS:[JOHN_DOE] which will map to dua0:[USERS.JOHN_DOE]
    >
    > It is not recommended to put your users under SYS$SYSROOT. This is the
    > OS specific directory tree. (in fact, this would go into the node
    > specific area of the OS).

    Which node ?

    > Also, logical names are not permanent. You need to define them whenever
    > the system boots. You can add the "define" commands in systartup_vms.com
    > or in sylogicals.com (both are in sys$manager: directory).

    Problem, I cannot modify this file because I have a PWS keyboard
    that is not correctly mapped for X. I have tried a lot of
    configurations to fix it without any success. I should tried to boot
    in text mode to modify these files.

    > Note that if you are in a cluster, you can use
    >
    > /TABLE=LNMS$SYSCLUSTER_TABLE instead of /SYSTEM and this logical name
    > definition will automatically propage to all nodes in a cluster.
    >
    > Note that the /EXEC is there to define the logical in an executuve mode
    > which makes it impossible for unprivileged users to redefine. (which
    > would be a security issue).

    Thanks a lot,

    JKB

    --
    Le cerveau, c'est un véritable scandale écologique. Il représente 2% de notre
    masse corporelle, mais disperse à lui seul 25% de l'énergie que nous
    consommons tous les jours.

  5. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    In article , JKB writes:
    >Le 15-05-2008, à propos de
    >Re: DEFINE and reboot,
    > JF Mezei écrivait dans comp.os.vms :
    >> JKB wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to reinstall a OpenVMS 8.3 on a AS800. I try to create a
    >>> logical name like DISK$USERS to create users home directories.
    >>> I have tried :
    >>> $ CREATE/SYSTEM DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]
    >>>
    >>> and I can use this logical name to acces to SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]
    >>> but this logical name is not permanent.

    >> To create a proper root:
    >>
    >> $DEFINE/SYSTEM/TRANS=(CONCEALED)/EXEC DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS.]
    >>
    >> To be safer, you should have:
    >>
    >> $DEFINE/SYSTEM/TRANS=(CONCEALED,TERMINAL)/EXEC DISK$USERS -
    >> 'f$trnlnm("SYS$DISK","LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE")'[USERS.]
    >>
    >> Note that the . after Users is important. This allows you to use syntax
    >> such as DISK$USERS:[JOHN_DOE] which will map to dua0:[USERS.JOHN_DOE]
    >>
    >> It is not recommended to put your users under SYS$SYSROOT. This is the
    >> OS specific directory tree. (in fact, this would go into the node
    >> specific area of the OS).

    > Which node ?

    Cluster node. Assuming a cluster of VMS machines booting off of a common
    system disk, VMS files which are common to all nodes are located with the
    logical SYS$COMMON (which translates to disk:[SYSn.SYSCOMMON.] and which
    is aliased from disk:[VMS$COMMON]). Files specific to a node are located
    with the logical SYS$SPECIFIC (which translates to disk:[SYSn.] where 'n'
    is a number assigned to the node when the cluster is configured.

    The logical SYS$SYSROOT is a search list of SYS$SPECIFIC and SYS$COMMON.

    Conceptually:

    +--------+ +--------+
    | node 0 |<--->(SYS$COMMON)<--->| node 1 |
    +--------+ +--------+
    ^ ^
    | |
    V V
    SYS$SPECIFC SYS$SPECIFIC
    disk:[SYS0.] disk:[SYS1.]

    >> Also, logical names are not permanent. You need to define them whenever
    >> the system boots. You can add the "define" commands in systartup_vms.com
    >> or in sylogicals.com (both are in sys$manager: directory).

    > Problem, I cannot modify this file because I have a PWS keyboard
    > that is not correctly mapped for X. I have tried a lot of
    > configurations to fix it without any success. I should tried to boot
    > in text mode to modify these files.

    What editor and how are you accessing this VMS machine? EDT and simple
    delete and the arrow keys should get you around without any issue. I'm
    able to access VMS from a linux laptop and edit files without any issue
    using: 'gnome-terminal --geometry 132x24 -x screen -q' so I don't see
    why you should have any real difficulties with a simple editing job from
    PWS.

    >> Note that if you are in a cluster, you can use
    >>
    >> /TABLE=LNMS$SYSCLUSTER_TABLE instead of /SYSTEM and this logical name
    >> definition will automatically propage to all nodes in a cluster.
    >>
    >> Note that the /EXEC is there to define the logical in an executuve mode
    >> which makes it impossible for unprivileged users to redefine. (which
    >> would be a security issue).

    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > JKB

    You're obviously a VMS newbie. Slow down. Ask clear and concise questions
    here and somebody will help you and, hopefully, you'll gain a better under-
    standing of the OS.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  6. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    Note you can use EDIT in line mode to do the editing :-)

  7. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    On May 15, 4:58 am, JKB wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to reinstall a OpenVMS 8.3 on a AS800. I try to create a
    > logical name like DISK$USERS to create users home directories.
    > I have tried :
    > $ CREATE/SYSTEM DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]
    >
    > and I can use this logical name to acces to SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]
    > but this logical name is not permanent. If I hve understand,
    > create/system writes this logical name in a file. Thus, why this
    > logical name is erased when AS800 is stopped ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > JKB
    >
    > --
    > Le cerveau, c'est un véritable scandale écologique. Il représente 2%de notre
    > masse corporelle, mais disperse à lui seul 25% de l'énergie que nous
    > consommons tous les jours.

    JKB,

    There is a mis-understanding at work here. Logical names are not
    written to a non-volatile store by the [ASSIGN DEFINE] /SYSTEM command
    (as are environment variables under Windows in certain situations).

    The editing issue can be addressed by using a non-screen oriented
    editor. In non-screen friendly situations, I frequently use TECO, but
    that is a whole different discussion.

    While it has always been the recommendation to reserve names
    containing the dollar sign to (successively) Digital, Compaq, and now,
    HP, I have always viewed this as a recommendation that was not
    particularly problematical in the creation of "pseudo-disks" (e.g.,
    hidden, rooted directory trees used by parts of user communities). My
    reasoning has always been that the DEFINE/ASSIGN statement creating
    the logical name is, in effect the equivalent of the SUPPORTED MOUNT
    command that would create the same name.

    That said, to reduce the chance for mis-adventure, my general
    recommendation is to put those commands in a separate file in SYS
    $MANAGER, and execute them AFTER the appropriate disk has been
    mounted, with the appropriate check that the underlying disk is
    actually present. For invoking this file, my preferred mechanism is
    the STARTUP database (see "SYSMAN for Improved Restart Performance",
    from the 1999 US DECUS Symposium; slides available via
    http://www.rlgsc.com/decus/usf99/index.html ). My alternative
    mechanism is to invoke this file using a SPAWN command from within SYS
    $MANAGER:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM (also with the appropriate check for file
    existence).

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  8. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    Le 15-05-2008, à propos de
    Re: DEFINE and reboot,

    Thanks a lot,

    JKB

    --
    Le cerveau, c'est un véritable scandale écologique. Il représente 2% de notre
    masse corporelle, mais disperse à lui seul 25% de l'énergie que nous
    consommons tous les jours.

  9. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    On May 15, 8:49 am, Bob Gezelter wrote:
    > On May 15, 4:58 am, JKB wrote:
    >

    > > Hello,

    > > I'm trying to reinstall a OpenVMS 8.3 on a AS800. I try to create a
    > > logical name like DISK$USERS to create users home directories.
    > > I have tried :
    > > $ CREATE/SYSTEM DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]

    [...]
    > That said, to reduce the chance for mis-adventure, my general
    > recommendation is to put those commands in a separate file in SYS
    > $MANAGER, and execute them AFTER the appropriate disk has been
    > mounted, with the appropriate check that the underlying disk is
    > actually present.

    Pardon me if I'm missing something obvious, but what problem would
    occur if it was down before? Either way, if you reference the logical
    name before both are done, you'll get the "error in device name..."
    error.

    > For invoking this file, my preferred mechanism is
    > the STARTUP database (see "SYSMAN for Improved Restart Performance",
    > from the 1999 US DECUS Symposium; slides available viahttp://www.rlgsc.com/decus/usf99/index.html). My alternative
    > mechanism is to invoke this file using a SPAWN command from within SYS
    > $MANAGER:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM (also with the appropriate check for file
    > existence).

    Why not just put it in the file? How long does it take to DEFINE/
    SYSTEM a logical name?

    > - Bob Gezelter,http://www.rlgsc.com

    AEF

  10. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    On May 15, 1:00 pm, AEF wrote:
    > On May 15, 8:49 am, Bob Gezelter wrote:
    >

    > > On May 15, 4:58 am, JKB wrote:

    > > > Hello,

    > > > I'm trying to reinstall a OpenVMS 8.3 on a AS800. I try to create a
    > > > logical name like DISK$USERS to create users home directories.
    > > > I have tried :
    > > > $ CREATE/SYSTEM DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]

    > [...]
    > > That said, to reduce the chance for mis-adventure, my general
    > > recommendation is to put those commands in a separate file in SYS
    > > $MANAGER, and execute them AFTER the appropriate disk has been
    > > mounted, with the appropriate check that the underlying disk is
    > > actually present.

    > Pardon me if I'm missing something obvious, but what problem would
    > occur if it was down before? Either way, if you reference the logical
    > name before both are done, you'll get the "error in device name..."
    > error.
    >
    > > For invoking this file, my preferred mechanism is
    > > the STARTUP database (see "SYSMAN for Improved Restart Performance",
    > > from the 1999 US DECUS Symposium; slides available viahttp://www.rlgsc.com/decus/usf99/index.html). My alternative
    > > mechanism is to invoke this file using a SPAWN command from within SYS
    > > $MANAGER:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM (also with the appropriate check for file
    > > existence).

    > Why not just put it in the file? How long does it take to DEFINE/
    > SYSTEM a logical name?
    >

    > > - Bob Gezelter,http://www.rlgsc.com

    > AEF

    AEF,

    It is not a time-efficiency question.

    One of the most common STARTUP related problems that I encounter
    repeatedly is the silent termination of SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM because of
    editing errors. I therefore try to discourage people, particularly
    less experienced system managers, from adding more than the linkage
    (and then using a SPAWN) so that a clumsy edit in the secondary file
    will not terminate the execution of SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  11. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    On May 15, 1:39 pm, Bob Gezelter wrote:
    > On May 15, 1:00 pm, AEF wrote:

    > > [...]
    > > > That said, to reduce the chance for mis-adventure, my general
    > > > recommendation is to put those commands in a separate file in SYS
    > > > $MANAGER, and execute them AFTER the appropriate disk has been
    > > > mounted, with the appropriate check that the underlying disk is
    > > > actually present.

    > > Pardon me if I'm missing something obvious, but what problem would
    > > occur if it was down before? Either way, if you reference the logical
    > > name before both are done, you'll get the "error in device name..."
    > > error.

    > > > For invoking this file, my preferred mechanism is
    > > > the STARTUP database (see "SYSMAN for Improved Restart Performance",
    > > > from the 1999 US DECUS Symposium; slides available viahttp://www.rlgsc.com/decus/usf99/index.html). My alternative
    > > > mechanism is to invoke this file using a SPAWN command from within SYS
    > > > $MANAGER:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM (also with the appropriate check for file
    > > > existence).

    > > Why not just put it in the file? How long does it take to DEFINE/
    > > SYSTEM a logical name?

    > > > - Bob Gezelter,http://www.rlgsc.com

    > > AEF

    > AEF,
    >
    > It is not a time-efficiency question.
    >
    > One of the most common STARTUP related problems that I encounter
    > repeatedly is the silent termination of SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM because of
    > editing errors. I therefore try to discourage people, particularly
    > less experienced system managers, from adding more than the linkage
    > (and then using a SPAWN) so that a clumsy edit in the secondary file
    > will not terminate the execution of SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.
    >
    > - Bob Gezelter,http://www.rlgsc.com

    OK. Every system I've inherited has SET NOON at the beginning of its
    SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM and I've just left them that way. Maybe that's a bad
    practice, but I have yet to have it cause a problem.

    AEF

  12. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    JKB wrote:
    > Le 15-05-2008, à propos de
    > Re: DEFINE and reboot,
    > JF Mezei écrivait dans comp.os.vms :
    >> JKB wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to reinstall a OpenVMS 8.3 on a AS800. I try to create a
    >>> logical name like DISK$USERS to create users home directories.
    >>> I have tried :
    >>> $ CREATE/SYSTEM DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]
    >>>
    >>> and I can use this logical name to acces to SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS]
    >>> but this logical name is not permanent.

    >> To create a proper root:
    >>
    >> $DEFINE/SYSTEM/TRANS=(CONCEALED)/EXEC DISK$USERS SYS$SYSROOT:[USERS.]
    >>
    >> To be safer, you should have:
    >>
    >> $DEFINE/SYSTEM/TRANS=(CONCEALED,TERMINAL)/EXEC DISK$USERS -
    >> 'f$trnlnm("SYS$DISK","LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE")'[USERS.]
    >>
    >> Note that the . after Users is important. This allows you to use syntax
    >> such as DISK$USERS:[JOHN_DOE] which will map to dua0:[USERS.JOHN_DOE]
    >>
    >> It is not recommended to put your users under SYS$SYSROOT. This is the
    >> OS specific directory tree. (in fact, this would go into the node
    >> specific area of the OS).

    > Which node ?
    >
    >> Also, logical names are not permanent. You need to define them whenever
    >> the system boots. You can add the "define" commands in systartup_vms.com
    >> or in sylogicals.com (both are in sys$manager: directory).

    > Problem, I cannot modify this file because I have a PWS keyboard
    > that is not correctly mapped for X. I have tried a lot of
    > configurations to fix it without any success. I should tried to boot
    > in text mode to modify these files.

    If you are running DECwindows, from the DECterm you want to do the
    editing on enter the following DCL command:

    $ DEFINE/SYSTEM EVE$KEYPAD EDT

    The keypad will now behave like a VTxxx terminal's keypad as far as
    EDIT/TPU is concerned.

    Once you have a working keyboard 8-) edit SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGICALS.COM
    removing the comment character "!" from the file's EVE$KEYPAD command.
    Now each time you boot, all your DECterms will have the editor's keypad
    mapping defined.

    >> Note that if you are in a cluster, you can use
    >>
    >> /TABLE=LNMS$SYSCLUSTER_TABLE instead of /SYSTEM and this logical name
    >> definition will automatically propage to all nodes in a cluster.
    >>
    >> Note that the /EXEC is there to define the logical in an executuve mode
    >> which makes it impossible for unprivileged users to redefine. (which
    >> would be a security issue).

    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > JKB

    Jeff

  13. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    In article <085a3589-1886-47ff-a852-3a954fe4a0f0@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Bob Gezelter writes:

    > One of the most common STARTUP related problems that I encounter
    > repeatedly is the silent termination of SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM because of
    > editing errors. I therefore try to discourage people, particularly
    > less experienced system managers, from adding more than the linkage
    > (and then using a SPAWN) so that a clumsy edit in the secondary file
    > will not terminate the execution of SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.

    I always SET NOON at the start of all boot scripts unless I have
    specific error handling, just for this reason.

    If you SPAWN, don't you have to wait for all those subprocesses to
    complete before the STARTUP process logs out? Having the subprocess
    wind down unexpectedly could leave you in an unpredictable state.

    I did once work with some systems that used SUBMIT a lot during
    boot, but then when you logged in some things might not yet be ready.

  14. Re: DEFINE and reboot

    On May 15, 9:01 pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article <085a3589-1886-47ff-a852-3a954fe4a...@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Bob Gezelter writes:
    >

    > > One of the most common STARTUP related problems that I encounter
    > > repeatedly is the silent termination of SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM because of
    > > editing errors. I therefore try to discourage people, particularly
    > > less experienced system managers, from adding more than the linkage
    > > (and then using a SPAWN) so that a clumsy edit in the secondary file
    > > will not terminate the execution of SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.

    > I always SET NOON at the start of all boot scripts unless I have
    > specific error handling, just for this reason.
    >
    > If you SPAWN, don't you have to wait for all those subprocesses to
    > complete before the STARTUP process logs out? Having the subprocess
    > wind down unexpectedly could leave you in an unpredictable state.
    >
    > I did once work with some systems that used SUBMIT a lot during
    > boot, but then when you logged in some things might not yet be ready.

    Bob,

    Yes, using SPAWN will pause the parent process. Which would happen
    anyway if a simple "@" were done.

    When I have my choice of solutions, I invariably use the STARTUP
    database, and add files to the list of files to be run at various
    points. It allows for synchronization, and some degree of safety and
    parallelism.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

+ Reply to Thread