determing lable of unmounted drive - VMS

This is a discussion on determing lable of unmounted drive - VMS ; How can you find out the name without mounting it? -- PL/I for OpenVMS www.kednos.com...

  1. determing lable of unmounted drive

    How can you find out the name without mounting it?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > How can you find out the name without mounting it?

    At least up to ODS-5, the label is in logical block 0 of the disk.
    See the little program

    (from Carl Lydick !).

    But You don't need such a program:
    Since You need to be privileged anyway, use MOUNT/OVERWRITE=IDENT to
    mount it private, then MOUNT displays the label.

    --

    Joseph Huber - http://www.huber-joseph.de

  3. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Tom Linden wrote:
    > How can you find out the name without mounting it?

    You can't.

    But you can do a

    $ mou/over=id tapedrive

    to mount the tape without knowing the label.

    Ken

  4. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    Joseph Huber wrote:
    > Tom Linden wrote:
    >> How can you find out the name without mounting it?
    >>

    > At least up to ODS-5, the label is in logical block 0 of the disk.

    Sorry, should be logical block 1 !

    --

    Joseph Huber - http://www.huber-joseph.de

  5. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    On May 14, 6:47*am, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > How can you find out the name without mounting it?
    >
    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

    Without mounting it you would need to use a program using a QIO with
    PHYSICAL IO. (IO$_READPBLK)

    With mounting you can as stated just use MOUNT/FOR or MOUNT/OVER=ID
    and it will give the label.
    Once mounted foreign you can just use DCL to read it:

    $ ld crea tmp.disk/size=1000
    $ ld conn tmp.disk lda9:
    $ init lda9: hein
    $ mount/for lda9:
    %MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, HEIN mounted on _EISNER$LDA9:
    $ dump/blo=coun=1 lda9:
    :
    20202020 20204E49 45480087 80FDFF74 t....HEIN 000020
    73206120 746F6E20 73692020 20202020 is not a s 000030
    0000000A 0A0D6B73 6964206D 65747379 ystem disk...... 000040
    :
    $ open/read x lda9:
    $ read x record
    $ label = f$extr(38,12,record)
    $ show symb label
    LABEL = "HEIN "
    $ close x
    $ dism lda9
    $ ld discon lda9
    $ dele tmp.disk.

    Hein,

  6. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    in addition to the previous replies, the usual question - "What
    problem are you really trying to solve?"

  7. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    > How can you find out the name without mounting it?

    I re-arrange my document CD's quite often, so during boot I

    1. mount per-process (no /cluster or /system) with /ignore=label
    2. use f$getdvi to get the label
    3. dismount
    4. mount /cluster or /system with the label

    The only small issue I've had with this is that I sometimes mount
    ODS-3 (ISO 9660) or ODS-4 (High Sierra) and have volume names longer
    than f$getdvi will return. In that case I look for the short name
    and correct it.

  8. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    On May 14, 7:00 am, "Ken Robinson" wrote:
    > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Tom Linden wrote:
    > > How can you find out the name without mounting it?

    > You can't.
    >
    > But you can do a
    >
    > $ mou/over=id tapedrive
    >
    > to mount the tape without knowing the label.
    >
    > Ken

    Sure you can:

    $ MOUNT DKA200: ASDFASDF
    %MOUNT-F-INCVOLLABEL, incorrect volume label
    -MOUNT-I-VOLIDENT, label = 'DATA1 ', owner = ' ',
    format = 'DECFILE11B '
    $

    Just be sure to use a label you know it couldn't be!

    AEF

  9. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    On May 14, 7:44 am, Hein RMS van den Heuvel
    wrote:
    > On May 14, 6:47 am, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >
    > > How can you find out the name without mounting it?

    > > --
    > > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

    > Without mounting it you would need to use a program using a QIO with
    > PHYSICAL IO. (IO$_READPBLK)

    No. See my other post.

    AEF

    [...]
    > Hein,

  10. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    On May 14, 2:22 pm, AEF wrote:
    > On May 14, 7:00 am, "Ken Robinson" wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Tom Linden wrote:
    > > > How can you find out the name without mounting it?

    > > You can't.

    > > But you can do a

    > > $ mou/over=id tapedrive

    > > to mount the tape without knowing the label.

    > > Ken

    > Sure you can:
    >
    > $ MOUNT DKA200: ASDFASDF
    > %MOUNT-F-INCVOLLABEL, incorrect volume label
    > -MOUNT-I-VOLIDENT, label = 'DATA1 ', owner = ' ',
    > format = 'DECFILE11B '
    > $
    >
    > Just be sure to use a label you know it couldn't be!
    >
    > AEF

    I just realized you need to use MOUNT/NOASSIST. My MOUNT command above
    is a symbol that includes that. Using /ASSIST sends a request to the
    operator.

    AEF

  11. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 04:00:20 -0700, Ken Robinson
    wrote:

    > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Tom Linden wrote:
    >> How can you find out the name without mounting it?

    > You can't.
    >
    > But you can do a
    >
    > $ mou/over=id tapedrive
    >
    > to mount the tape without knowing the label.
    >
    > Ken

    I meant disk drive.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  12. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 05:20:18 -0700, IanMiller wrote:

    > in addition to the previous replies, the usual question - "What
    > problem are you really trying to solve?"

    I have several dives on the cluster which aren't mounted and I wanted
    to see what they were without mounting them and was just wondering
    if there were a way to do so.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  13. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 May 2008 05:20:18 -0700, IanMiller wrote:
    >
    >> in addition to the previous replies, the usual question - "What
    >> problem are you really trying to solve?"
    >>

    > I have several dives on the cluster which aren't mounted and I wanted
    > to see what they were without mounting them and was just wondering
    > if there were a way to do so.

    There is no way that is not more trouble than it's worth! You could
    probably kludge something together that would read raw disk blocks but I
    suspect it would require a custom disk driver or at least some pretty
    hairy coding! If you did that, you could read the disk label without
    mounting the disk.

    Since that's just what the O/S does when it mounts the disk, you might
    just as well take advantage of the code that already exists.

  14. Re: determing lable of unmounted drive

    On May 15, 10:48 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Tom Linden wrote:
    > > On Wed, 14 May 2008 05:20:18 -0700, IanMiller wrote:

    > >> in addition to the previous replies, the usual question - "What
    > >> problem are you really trying to solve?"

    > > I have several dives on the cluster which aren't mounted and I wanted
    > > to see what they were without mounting them and was just wondering
    > > if there were a way to do so.

    > There is no way that is not more trouble than it's worth! You could
    > probably kludge something together that would read raw disk blocks but I
    > suspect it would require a custom disk driver or at least some pretty
    > hairy coding! If you did that, you could read the disk label without
    > mounting the disk.
    >
    > Since that's just what the O/S does when it mounts the disk, you might
    > just as well take advantage of the code that already exists.

    Yes there is. See my other post. You basically MOUNT/NOASSIST the
    drive with a bogus label.

    AEF

+ Reply to Thread