Re: Help: VMS DECwindows Guide to Applications Programming - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Help: VMS DECwindows Guide to Applications Programming - VMS ; From: Larry > We have to support a very old system ( VMS 5.4-2 ), and have to > change old source code which uses DECWindows. I'm looking for a > document named >. Where have you looked so far? ...

  1. Re: Help: VMS DECwindows Guide to Applications Programming

    From: Larry

    > We have to support a very old system ( VMS 5.4-2 ), and have to
    > change old source code which uses DECWindows. I'm looking for a
    > document named <>.

    Where have you looked so far? I seem to have a CD-ROM (March 1993)
    with the online (Bookreader) documentation for Motif V1.0 and V1.1. I
    don't know if I could easily segregate the Motif parts, but I could
    probably make an image of the CD. You might need to get the bits onto a
    VMS system to read the stuff.

    > I'm also like to know I if VMS 5.4 has Motif installed or not.

    VMS DECwindows Motif was a separate (and separately licensed) layered
    product, not part of VMS. My CD-ROM archives (November 1990) suggest
    that it was not even available when VMS V5.4 was released, but I did
    find a (March 1993) kit for VMS DECwindows Motif®, Version 1.1, and in
    its System Support Addendum, it says:

    SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

    VMS Operating System V5.4-3 through V5.5-1

    so you're close. Perhaps Motif V1.0 would be supported on VMS V5.4-2?

    Of course, as the SPD says:

    VMS DECwindows Motif Version 1.1 complies with the License Manage-
    ment Facility (LMF) and requires a license Product Authorization
    Key (PAK). [...]

    so you'd appear to need a DW-MOTIF PAK, too, which might be tough to
    obtain legally these days. SHOW LICENSE or LICENSE LIST (or something
    similar) would probably tell you if you have the PAK installed.

    If you can find SYS$SYSTEMECW$MWM.EXE (the Motif Window Manager
    image), that would suggest that Motif is installed.

    > checked the old system, there is a DECW$EXAMPLESECBURGER.COM file.
    > Is this part of Motif?

    The V1.1 installation guide does mention the DECBURGER*.* files, so
    I'd suspect that it is.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Help: VMS DECwindows Guide to Applications Programming

    Thank you very much Steven. I really appreciate your reply.

    I checked my system. It's version 5.4-2. I went to Sys$System
    directory and searched DECW$MWM.exe. There is no such filet. Show
    License doen't show DW-MOTIF PAK info. I don't think Motif is
    installed on my system.

    The document name I'm looking for is : VMS DECwindows Guide to
    Applications Programming Volume 1A. We have a document which
    references this document.

    Best regards

    Laurence Chang

  3. Re: Help: VMS DECwindows Guide to Applications Programming

    Larry wrote:
    > Thank you very much Steven. I really appreciate your reply.
    >
    > I checked my system. It's version 5.4-2. I went to Sys$System
    > directory and searched DECW$MWM.exe. There is no such filet. Show
    > License doen't show DW-MOTIF PAK info. I don't think Motif is
    > installed on my system.

    Perhaps FredK can chime in here. But I recall some complaints in early
    1990s about needing to buy Motif licences when decwindows was "free"
    before.

    Did VMS go directly from VWS to DECWINDOWS-MOTIF, or was there an
    intermediate step that had decwindows without Motif ?

    BTW, if you want to Motif routines and structures, I have a web based
    version:

    http://www.vaxination.ca/vms and then look at the bottom right for the
    framed version of it.

    From Xwindows calls, I use
    http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/manindex3.html

    VMS doesn't have all of them, of course, but when you know about a
    function, you can find its definition there.

    I do have some DECW manuals in bookreader format, for instance:
    DECwindows Motif for OpenVMS
    Guide to Non-C Bindings

    January 1994

    This guide supplies non-C bindings for programmers developing
    DECwindows Motif for OpenVMS applications in languages other
    than C. Pascal and Fortran are supported. Programmers can choose
    from among OSF/Motif and ancillary widgets supplied by Digital.

    Revision/Update Information: This is a revised manual.

    Operating System: OpenVMS AXP Version 1.5 VMS
    Version 5.5-2

  4. Re: Help: VMS DECwindows Guide to Applications Programming

    Hello Steven,

    Thank you again for your help. I can not find the ident number of the
    document now.

    I checked my VMS5.4-2, there are some DECW$* files in SYS$System
    directory. I think at that time Motif was not released yet. VMS 5.4-2
    has something like Motif to make user interface.

    I found a web based document VMS DECWINDOWS MOTIF (R) APPLICATIONS
    GUIDE [V1.2] from HP. I'm reading it and I think some basic
    conceptions are still same.

    Thanks all of you for your information. Have a good day.

  5. Re: Help: VMS DECwindows Guide to Applications Programming

    In article <4828ea0a$0$31177$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:

    > Did VMS go directly from VWS to DECWINDOWS-MOTIF, or was there an
    > intermediate step that had decwindows without Motif ?

    VWS was pre-X11 and Motif was not the first style of X11 implemented
    as DECWindows. Yes, there was something in between. I used it and
    developed code to it (but I no longer have documentation for it).

  6. Re: Help: VMS DECwindows Guide to Applications Programming

    It was called XUI.

    "Bob Koehler" wrote in message
    > In article <4828ea0a$0$31177$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei
    > writes:
    >>
    >> Did VMS go directly from VWS to DECWINDOWS-MOTIF, or was there an
    >> intermediate step that had decwindows without Motif ?

    > VWS was pre-X11 and Motif was not the first style of X11 implemented
    > as DECWindows. Yes, there was something in between. I used it and
    > developed code to it (but I no longer have documentation for it).

+ Reply to Thread