DECServer 700 replacement. - VMS

This is a discussion on DECServer 700 replacement. - VMS ; All, I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700 (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced. Can anyone suggest anything? Many thanks, P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company will ...

  1. DECServer 700 replacement.

    All,

    I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    Can anyone suggest anything?

    Many thanks,

    P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

  2. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    "Paul" wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    > (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    > Can anyone suggest anything?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    > will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

    Assuming your needs aren't tied specifically to LAT protocol, you might want
    to have a look at http://www.comtrol.com/products/deviceservers (haven't
    actually used them yet, so can't comment in depth). Doubtless other folks
    will have other suppliers to recommend.

    Good luck,
    John

  3. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    The people who still can sell you a new DECserver 700 also sell other
    similar things.

    See http://www.vnetek.com/c-8-terminal-server.aspx

    (formally known as Digital Networks)

  4. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    On Fri, 9 May 2008 06:18:05 -0700 (PDT), Paul wrote:
    > All,

    > I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    > (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    > Can anyone suggest anything?

    > Many thanks,

    > P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    > will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

    How do you use the current DECserver 700?

    Do you need LAT?

    How tied are you to the DECserver 700 command language?

    (Yes to either of the last two questions will severely
    restrict your choices.)

    If you need LAT, call BlackBox (or maybe MRV? Do their
    products still do LAT?). If you don't, there are
    many terminal server manufacturers. For example, call
    Cyclades/Avocent.

    In any case, make sure you tell them your answers to the
    above when you call.

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  5. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    "Paul" wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    > (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    > Can anyone suggest anything?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    > will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

    I'm very happy with the Sena PS410 4 port terminal server that we bought to
    replace a failed DECserver 90TL.

    See: http://www.sena.com

  6. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 07:36:10 -0700, Dale Dellutri
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 9 May 2008 06:18:05 -0700 (PDT), Paul wrote:
    >> All,

    >> I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    >> (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    >> Can anyone suggest anything?

    >> Many thanks,

    >> P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    >> will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

    > How do you use the current DECserver 700?
    >
    > Do you need LAT?
    >
    > How tied are you to the DECserver 700 command language?
    >
    > (Yes to either of the last two questions will severely
    > restrict your choices.)
    >
    > If you need LAT, call BlackBox (or maybe MRV? Do their
    > products still do LAT?). If you don't, there are
    > many terminal server manufacturers. For example, call
    > Cyclades/Avocent.
    >
    > In any case, make sure you tell them your answers to the
    > above when you call.

    I use a 20 port Xyplex Maxserver connected to the console
    ports on VAX, Alpha, Itanium, Cisco , HSG80, Brocade
    works great.

    There is also a 40 port version.

    I got mine off ebay for $150.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  7. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    We have some DECSERVER 900 32 Port RJ45 $750 each

    DT

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "Paul" wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    > (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    > Can anyone suggest anything?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    > will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

  8. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    Paul wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    > (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    > Can anyone suggest anything?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    > will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

    There is, or was, a company named something like "Digital Networking"
    that makes or made this sort of stuff. A quick look with Google found
    lots of hits but none seemed to be really good matches.

    Not too many people use serial terminals any longer!

  9. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    On May 9, 8:18 am, Paul wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    > (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    > Can anyone suggest anything?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    > will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

    Paul
    VNETEK is the current supplier of Digital Network products (they
    merged). DECserver 708, 716, and 732 units are available NEW with
    warranty, and presumably support. I do not know if HP Field Service
    will cover these units, but they are supported by the company.

    http://www.vnetek.com/s-212-terminal-server.aspx

    These units will also run the most current DNAS software, which
    is not compatible with older 700s. I don't know if that buys much.

    We have placed several DECserver 90M+ units from D.N./Vnetek
    which are updates of the original DECserver 90Ms and have been working
    just fine for 2+ years now.

    Rich
    (not affiliated with DN/Vnetek except as a satisfied customer).

    HP did drop support for the "DEC" built units; several of our
    customers were hit by that, and are laying in spares.

  10. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <5367fe07-0c47-4b85-9b7d-a35e67602f30@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Paul writes:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    >> (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    >> Can anyone suggest anything?
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >>
    >> P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    >> will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

    > Please inform your company that those serial interfaces and the
    > equipment at the other end of them are "end of life".

    Probably not. There are a *lot* of equipment that still
    interfaces using serial links. I support an environment
    with *many* term-servers. 100's of LTA and TNA devices
    interfaces to barcode readers, label printers, PLC's,
    modems, and a heap of other equipment. Even a number
    of work-shop floor VT-terminals...

    Lantronix seems to be the prefered term-server.

    Jan-Erik.

  11. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    In article <5367fe07-0c47-4b85-9b7d-a35e67602f30@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Paul writes:
    > All,
    >
    > I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    > (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    > Can anyone suggest anything?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    > will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

    Please inform your company that those serial interfaces and the
    equipment at the other end of them are "end of life".

  12. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    General question:

    With VMS, one can define an LTAxxx: device that allows outgoing
    connections to a terminal server's port. Essentially giving that VMS box
    access to serial ports. This comes out of the box with VMS.

    Would it be correct to state that in the Unix world, there is no
    built-in facility for such virtualised serial ports and that one needs
    to buy some separate package that will provide outbound serial port
    access via a terminal server ? (I assume reverse telnet).

    Is there a strong RFC/standard on how virtual serial ports work between
    a host and the terminal server, or do each terminal servers have their
    own software/protocol to link a unix host with their terminal servers ?

  13. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    In article <4824b332$0$7261$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    > General question:
    >
    > With VMS, one can define an LTAxxx: device that allows outgoing
    > connections to a terminal server's port. Essentially giving that VMS box
    > access to serial ports. This comes out of the box with VMS.
    >
    > Would it be correct to state that in the Unix world, there is no
    > built-in facility for such virtualised serial ports and that one needs
    > to buy some separate package that will provide outbound serial port
    > access via a terminal server ? (I assume reverse telnet).

    A lot of terminal servers support reverse telnet. But I can't recall
    any common UNIX capability for accessing it.

    Yep, I think for UNIX in general you may need an additional product.
    I suspect you might find something on a particular vendor's UNIX.
    (UNIX is the portable operating system that's different on every
    platform.)

  14. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    Paul wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    > (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    > Can anyone suggest anything?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    > will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

    According to the current vendor of DECserver-700 series devices, they
    seem to be a current, in-production manufactured item.

    Your "company" should probably re-think that "end-of-life" stuff...

    David J Dachtera
    (formerly dba) DJE Systems

  15. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > General question:
    >
    > With VMS, one can define an LTAxxx: device that allows outgoing
    > connections to a terminal server's port.

    Or TNAnnn: ports, if you're running telnet capable
    servers and/or do not want/can use LAT on your LAN/WAN.

    TNA devices works *mostly* just as well as LTA devices...

    Jan-Erik.

    > Essentially giving that VMS box
    > access to serial ports. This comes out of the box with VMS.
    >
    > Would it be correct to state that in the Unix world, there is no
    > built-in facility for such virtualised serial ports and that one needs
    > to buy some separate package that will provide outbound serial port
    > access via a terminal server ? (I assume reverse telnet).
    >
    > Is there a strong RFC/standard on how virtual serial ports work between
    > a host and the terminal server, or do each terminal servers have their
    > own software/protocol to link a unix host with their terminal servers ?

  16. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    > JF Mezei wrote:
    >> General question:
    >>
    >> With VMS, one can define an LTAxxx: device that allows outgoing

    B.t.w, all connections are of course bi-derectional
    after the initial connection from the VMS server.

    Jan-Erik.

    >> connections to a terminal server's port.

    > Or TNAnnn: ports, if you're running telnet capable
    > servers and/or do not want/can use LAT on your LAN/WAN.
    >
    > TNA devices works *mostly* just as well as LTA devices...
    >
    > Jan-Erik.
    >
    >> Essentially giving that VMS box
    >> access to serial ports. This comes out of the box with VMS.
    >>
    >> Would it be correct to state that in the Unix world, there is no
    >> built-in facility for such virtualised serial ports and that one needs
    >> to buy some separate package that will provide outbound serial port
    >> access via a terminal server ? (I assume reverse telnet).
    >>
    >> Is there a strong RFC/standard on how virtual serial ports work between
    >> a host and the terminal server, or do each terminal servers have their
    >> own software/protocol to link a unix host with their terminal servers ?

  17. Re: DECServer 700 replacement.

    http://www.lantronix.com/data-center...elinx-slc.html

    FYI We sell lantronix

    David

    --

    "Paul" wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I am looking for a modern day equivalent product to the Decserver 700
    > (16 or 32 port) that is still being produced.
    > Can anyone suggest anything?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > P.S. Please dont suggest suppliers for DECServer 700's, my company
    > will not purchase them as they are deemed "end of life".

+ Reply to Thread