msa30 & Itanium/Alpha Cluster questions - VMS

This is a discussion on msa30 & Itanium/Alpha Cluster questions - VMS ; The MSA30 will hold 14 disks. I utilize dual controllers on this but only use 7 currently for Raid 0+1 config. If I were to add 7 more disks to fill this out, can each of the new seven disks ...

  1. msa30 & Itanium/Alpha Cluster questions

    The MSA30 will hold 14 disks. I utilize dual controllers on this
    but only use 7 currently for Raid 0+1 config. If I were to add 7 more
    disks to fill this out, can each of the new seven disks be configured
    like an
    internal scsi disk and utilized as such?

    Can the data from an Itanium 146gb sas disk be copied
    to say a 300gb scsi disk on an Alpha and utilized without any
    concerns (will it be transparent)? We're talking about data
    disks, not system disks. We run VMS 8.3 on the
    Alphas and will be running VMS 8.3 on the Itaniums.

    Can an Itanium server running 146gb sas internal disks be
    clustered to an Alpha DS25 with 300gb scsi internal disks?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: msa30 & Itanium/Alpha Cluster questions

    In article ,
    Chuck Aaron wrote:

    > The MSA30 will hold 14 disks. I utilize dual controllers on this
    > but only use 7 currently for Raid 0+1 config. If I were to add 7 more
    > disks to fill this out, can each of the new seven disks be configured
    > like an
    > internal scsi disk and utilized as such?

    I've not used the MSA30 much myself, but I don't any problem with your
    proposal.

    > Can the data from an Itanium 146gb sas disk be copied
    > to say a 300gb scsi disk on an Alpha and utilized without any
    > concerns (will it be transparent)? We're talking about data
    > disks, not system disks. We run VMS 8.3 on the
    > Alphas and will be running VMS 8.3 on the Itaniums.

    Yes, the data is portable. VMS is VMS.

    > Can an Itanium server running 146gb sas internal disks be
    > clustered to an Alpha DS25 with 300gb scsi internal disks?

    Yes. VMS clustering doesn't much care about disk details.

    If you enable disk serving on your cluster, you can make all the disks
    available to all cluster members simultaneously.

    > Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread