Scrolling wheel support on VMS - VMS

This is a discussion on Scrolling wheel support on VMS - VMS ; For the "workstation" environment, I was provided some time ago with a nice patch which provided scrolling wheel support on VMS-Alpha-DECWindows. This essentially generated up/down arrow movements as seen from an application't point of view. However, having heeded the recommendations ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    For the "workstation" environment, I was provided some time ago with a
    nice patch which provided scrolling wheel support on VMS-Alpha-DECWindows.

    This essentially generated up/down arrow movements as seen from an
    application't point of view.

    However, having heeded the recommendations that VMS wasn't meant to be a
    workstation anymore, I have shutdown my alpha workstation and only have
    one alpha "server" still running (as well as a VAX).

    My desktop workstation has a nifty rodent device with 2 axis scroll
    wheel. (But in Xwindows, XEV only shows events for the up/down axis
    movements).

    When running VMS applications with displays on my non VMS workstation,
    the mouse scroll wheel events are not acted upon.

    Is there a way to change some definition *ON VMS* so that applications
    on VMS will see up/down arrow events when the foreign mouse wheel is
    used ? Or would this absolutely have to be done on the Mac to redefine
    the mouse events into up/down events (which would then affect all X
    applications displaying on the Mac, not just those coming from a VMS
    application)

    Does X windows on VMS have any native support for scroll wheels that
    could be enabled, or is the expectation that the mouse driver will just
    generate up/down events for the remainder of VMS' life ?

  2. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    On May 8, 12:31*pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > For the "workstation" environment, *I was provided some time ago with a
    > nice patch which provided scrolling wheel support on VMS-Alpha-DECWindows.
    >
    > This essentially generated up/down arrow movements as seen from an
    > application't point of view.

    Was this patch ever made generally available, to anyone's knowledge?

    Sorry I can't help with your question...

  3. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 09:31:07 -0700, JF Mezei
    wrote:

    > For the "workstation" environment, I was provided some time ago with a
    > nice patch which provided scrolling wheel support on
    > VMS-Alpha-DECWindows.
    >
    > This essentially generated up/down arrow movements as seen from an
    > application't point of view.
    >
    > However, having heeded the recommendations that VMS wasn't meant to be a
    > workstation anymore, I have shutdown my alpha workstation and only have
    > one alpha "server" still running (as well as a VAX).
    >
    > My desktop workstation has a nifty rodent device with 2 axis scroll
    > wheel. (But in Xwindows, XEV only shows events for the up/down axis
    > movements).
    >

    > When running VMS applications with displays on my non VMS workstation,
    > the mouse scroll wheel events are not acted upon.
    >

    > Is there a way to change some definition *ON VMS* so that applications
    > on VMS will see up/down arrow events when the foreign mouse wheel is
    > used ? Or would this absolutely have to be done on the Mac to redefine
    > the mouse events into up/down events (which would then affect all X
    > applications displaying on the Mac, not just those coming from a VMS
    > application)
    >
    > Does X windows on VMS have any native support for scroll wheels that
    > could be enabled, or is the expectation that the mouse driver will just
    > generate up/down events for the remainder of VMS' life ?

    If you connect using PuTTY it should work

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  4. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    Galen wrote:

    > Was this patch ever made generally available, to anyone's knowledge?

    Yes.

    You can go to deja news
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=xx-elmer

    And look for "thumbwheel" in comp.os.vms There is a thread in november
    2006 "Mouse: thumbwheel support"

    Fopr the actual kit:
    http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~sneddon/

    This was done by the venerable FredK. Not sure if it is distributed
    officially yet.

    This is for PS2 style mice only. (sys$imbdriver.exe )

  5. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 May 2008 09:31:07 -0700, JF Mezei
    > wrote:
    >
    >> For the "workstation" environment, I was provided some time ago with a
    >> nice patch which provided scrolling wheel support on
    >> VMS-Alpha-DECWindows.
    >>
    >> This essentially generated up/down arrow movements as seen from an
    >> application't point of view.
    >>
    >> However, having heeded the recommendations that VMS wasn't meant to be a
    >> workstation anymore, I have shutdown my alpha workstation and only have
    >> one alpha "server" still running (as well as a VAX).
    >>
    >> My desktop workstation has a nifty rodent device with 2 axis scroll
    >> wheel. (But in Xwindows, XEV only shows events for the up/down axis
    >> movements).
    >>

    >> When running VMS applications with displays on my non VMS workstation,
    >> the mouse scroll wheel events are not acted upon.
    >>

    >> Is there a way to change some definition *ON VMS* so that applications
    >> on VMS will see up/down arrow events when the foreign mouse wheel is
    >> used ? Or would this absolutely have to be done on the Mac to redefine
    >> the mouse events into up/down events (which would then affect all X
    >> applications displaying on the Mac, not just those coming from a VMS
    >> application)
    >>
    >> Does X windows on VMS have any native support for scroll wheels that
    >> could be enabled, or is the expectation that the mouse driver will just
    >> generate up/down events for the remainder of VMS' life ?
    >>

    > If you connect using PuTTY it should work

    But if they use {DEC|X}Windows - it won't...

  6. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 18:04:13 -0700, Michael Austin
    wrote:

    > If you connect using PuTTY it should work
    > But if they use {DEC|X}Windows - it won't...

    I understand that, there are many ways to flay the feline.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  7. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 06:48:44 -0700, Bob Koehler
    wrote:

    > That's just plain silly. My Alpha running 8.3 is my favorite
    > workstation.

    How do you run Acrobat professional, spread sheets, Autocad, do I need to
    go on?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  8. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    > Is there a way to change some definition *ON VMS* so that applications
    > on VMS will see up/down arrow events when the foreign mouse wheel is
    > used ? Or would this absolutely have to be done on the Mac to redefine
    > the mouse events into up/down events (which would then affect all X
    > applications displaying on the Mac, not just those coming from a VMS
    > application)

    I've found when using DECterm windows with Hummingbird, I could get
    wheelmouse scrolling by defining the wheel as CTRL/up-arrow and
    CTRL/down-arrow.

    Tom Wade | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
    EuroKom | Tel: +353 (1) 296-9696
    A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: +353 (1) 296-9697
    Rathfarnham | Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer
    Dublin 14 | Tip: "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
    Ireland

  9. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    In article <48232b5d$0$7268$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    > For the "workstation" environment, I was provided some time ago with a
    > nice patch which provided scrolling wheel support on VMS-Alpha-DECWindows.
    >
    > This essentially generated up/down arrow movements as seen from an
    > application't point of view.
    >
    > However, having heeded the recommendations that VMS wasn't meant to be a
    > workstation anymore, I have shutdown my alpha workstation and only have
    > one alpha "server" still running (as well as a VAX).

    That's just plain silly. My Alpha running 8.3 is my favorite
    workstation.

  10. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    > In article <48232b5d$0$7268$c3e8...@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    > > However, having heeded the recommendations that VMS wasn't meant to be a
    > > workstation anymore, I have shutdown my alpha workstation and only have
    > > one alpha "server" still running (as well as a VAX).

    If you listen to HP, you aren't supposed to use OpenVMS at all. You
    are supposed to use that worthless HP/UX stuff.

    Most companies are putting Ubuntu with OpenOffice on the desktop these
    days. Completely avoiding all HP products, including their printers.

  11. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    >>
    >> How do you run Acrobat professional, spread sheets, Autocad, do I need to
    >> go on?
    >>

    > A bunch of stuff I have no use for? No, you do not need to go on.

    Agreed. You mentioned nothing which I have any use for, which is why my
    primary workstations are VMS both at work and home. I do keep old Macs
    at both locations which are rarely used. For example, the Mac at home
    is mainly used to update the time settings in my X-10 house controller.

    George Cook
    WVNET

  12. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    In article , "Tom Linden" writes:

    > How do you run Acrobat professional, spread sheets, Autocad, do I need to
    > go on?

    A bunch of stuff I have no use for? No, you do not need to go on.

  13. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    In article , cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) writes:

    > Agreed. You mentioned nothing which I have any use for, which is why my
    > primary workstations are VMS both at work and home. I do keep old Macs
    > at both locations which are rarely used. For example, the Mac at home
    > is mainly used to update the time settings in my X-10 house controller.

    You know, I did have Lotus/123 and 2020 as spreadsheets on my VLC
    at one time, but never found much use for them.

  14. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 11:18:15 -0700, Bob Koehler
    wrote:

    > In article , "Tom Linden"
    > writes:
    >>
    >> How do you run Acrobat professional, spread sheets, Autocad, do I need
    >> go on?
    >>

    > A bunch of stuff I have no use for? No, you do not need to go on.

    Right, but the point is the rest of the world does. It is an integral part
    of business today, the ability to do it. Your needs are very specific and
    narrow so you can live with it.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  15. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    Bob Koehler schrieb:
    > In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    >
    >>On Fri, 09 May 2008 11:18:15 -0700, Bob Koehler
    >>
    >>Right, but the point is the rest of the world does. It is an integral part
    >>of business today, the ability to do it. Your needs are very specific and
    >>narrow so you can live with it.
    >>

    > It's been my experience that everybody's needs are different.

    maybe, but your needs are not very representative it seems.
    When bosses and/or customers keep sending doc and pdf
    documents, it is not the wisest move to just ignore them,
    saying "I have no use for them".

  16. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    > On Fri, 09 May 2008 11:18:15 -0700, Bob Koehler
    >
    > Right, but the point is the rest of the world does. It is an integral part
    > of business today, the ability to do it. Your needs are very specific and
    > narrow so you can live with it.

    It's been my experience that everybody's needs are different.

  17. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    On May 9, 9:27*am, Tom Wade wrote:
    > > Is there a way to change some definition *ON VMS* so that applications
    > > on VMS will see up/down arrow events when the foreign mouse wheel is
    > > used ? *Or would this absolutely have to be done on the Mac to redefine
    > > the mouse events into up/down events (which would then affect all X
    > > applications displaying on the Mac, not just those coming from a VMS
    > > application)

    > I've found when using DECterm windows with Hummingbird, I could get
    > wheelmouse scrolling by defining the wheel as CTRL/up-arrow and
    > CTRL/down-arrow.

    > Tom Wade * * * * * * * * | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
    > EuroKom * * * * * * * * *| Tel: * +353 (1) 296-9696
    > A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: * +353 (1) 296-9697
    > Rathfarnham * * * * * * *| Disclaimer: *This is not a disclaimer
    > Dublin 14 * * * * * * * *| Tip: * "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
    > Ireland

    How did you do that ? I have Exceed 2006. What are the config steps
    for using this in XConfig?
    TIA
    Van

  18. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    In article , Michael Kraemer writes:
    > Bob Koehler schrieb:
    >> In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 09 May 2008 11:18:15 -0700, Bob Koehler
    >>>
    >>>Right, but the point is the rest of the world does. It is an integral part
    >>>of business today, the ability to do it. Your needs are very specific and
    >>>narrow so you can live with it.
    >>>

    >> It's been my experience that everybody's needs are different.
    >>

    > maybe, but your needs are not very representative it seems.
    > When bosses and/or customers keep sending doc and pdf
    > documents, it is not the wisest move to just ignore them,
    > saying "I have no use for them".

    There hasn't been a single PDF I have encountered which the latest
    version of Xpdf for VMS doesn't handle properly. My VMS Mail UA
    (provided with PMDF) automatically spawns Xpdf to view PDF attachments.
    Xpdf does a very good job producing Postscript when I need to print
    a PDF. One thing I wish Xpdf did do was to produce duplex Postscript,
    but that is not a major issue because it is a simple one line edit
    to the Postscript file to make it print duplex.

    As far as doc attachments, I don't recall ever receiving one that
    had any value. If one ever did, I'd yell over the wall to my co-worker
    for help who keeps a PC in addition to his VMS workstation.

    As far as images sent as attachments, Xv or Mosaic can display just
    about any image. PMDF Mail will spawn the right viewer if requested.

    George Cook
    WVNET

  19. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 06:11:09 -0700, George Cook
    wrote:

    > As far as images sent as attachments, Xv or Mosaic can display just
    > about any image. PMDF Mail will spawn the right viewer if requested.

    What do you use to create pdf documents? From a spread sheets, from
    Autocad
    or types of documents often presented in pdf?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  20. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    > How did you do that ? I have Exceed 2006. What are the config steps
    > for using this in XConfig?

    Bring up the Exceed configuration program, and select Mouse Input.

    Select "Wheel movement invokes macro" and click on Macro Bindings.
    Create new Macros for wheel up and wheel down. Click on Record to
    record the input sequence for each. The keys are CTRL/Up-Arrow &