Scrolling wheel support on VMS - VMS

This is a discussion on Scrolling wheel support on VMS - VMS ; In article , "Tom Linden" writes: > On Mon, 12 May 2008 06:11:09 -0700, George Cook > wrote: > >> As far as images sent as attachments, Xv or Mosaic can display just >> about any image. PMDF Mail will ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    > On Mon, 12 May 2008 06:11:09 -0700, George Cook
    > wrote:
    >
    >> As far as images sent as attachments, Xv or Mosaic can display just
    >> about any image. PMDF Mail will spawn the right viewer if requested.

    > What do you use to create pdf documents? From a spread sheets, from
    > Autocad
    > or types of documents often presented in pdf?

    I have never even once had the need, much less the desire, to create a
    pdf document. I am not a documentation writer. I never use spreadsheets
    nor Autocad or anything else which might produce pdf output.

    The couple times in my life where someone has sent me a spreadsheet,
    it was simple enough to ask my co-worker to view or print it. I have
    never had the need to modify one nor ever expect to.

    I use only what I need, not what others or giant corporations tell me
    I need to use. My VMS workstations do what I need at least 99.98% of
    the time. I used to use the old Mac in my office to produce Postscript
    from pdf, but stopped once Xpdf became good enough.

    Others have other needs and should use what meets those needs.
    Unfortunately, most PC users I know spend what appear to be endless
    hours fiddling with their PC software instead of producing actual work.
    I know how addictive that can be because I spent several months of
    spare time just configuring the OS on my old "Classic" Macs. If I
    recall correctly, I added nearly a hundred third party extensions
    and layered software packages, multiple browsers and media players,
    etc. Many hours were spent making everything play nice together.
    It was a lot of fun, but otherwise mostly a complete waste of time.
    I still fire the one up at work every few months just so it can update
    its virus software.

    Then there is the issue of the constant need for PC hardware upgrades
    to run all the bloatware PC users "need" to use.

    George Cook
    WVNET

  2. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    In article , cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) writes:
    >In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    >> On Mon, 12 May 2008 06:11:09 -0700, George Cook
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> As far as images sent as attachments, Xv or Mosaic can display just
    >>> about any image. PMDF Mail will spawn the right viewer if requested.

    >> What do you use to create pdf documents? From a spread sheets, from
    >> Autocad
    >> or types of documents often presented in pdf?

    >I have never even once had the need, much less the desire, to create a
    >pdf document. I am not a documentation writer. I never use spreadsheets
    >nor Autocad or anything else which might produce pdf output.

    I produce PostScript from Document and then convert it to PDF to put on
    a web server. That is the extent of my involvement with PDF other than
    to read some documentation in PDF format from the web. Hey, at least it
    is not Micro$hit W(ei)RD.

    >The couple times in my life where someone has sent me a spreadsheet,
    >it was simple enough to ask my co-worker to view or print it. I have
    >never had the need to modify one nor ever expect to.

    Me too. I've never found myself pining for a spreadsheet program for
    anything I've ever needed or wanted to do.

    >I use only what I need, not what others or giant corporations tell me
    >I need to use. My VMS workstations do what I need at least 99.98% of
    >the time. I used to use the old Mac in my office to produce Postscript
    >from pdf, but stopped once Xpdf became good enough.
    >
    >Others have other needs and should use what meets those needs.
    >Unfortunately, most PC users I know spend what appear to be endless
    >hours fiddling with their PC software instead of producing actual work.
    >I know how addictive that can be because I spent several months of
    >spare time just configuring the OS on my old "Classic" Macs. If I
    >recall correctly, I added nearly a hundred third party extensions
    >and layered software packages, multiple browsers and media players,
    >etc. Many hours were spent making everything play nice together.
    >It was a lot of fun, but otherwise mostly a complete waste of time.
    >I still fire the one up at work every few months just so it can update
    >its virus software.

    Isn't anti-virus software *THE* killer app in the Micro$hit space?

    >Then there is the issue of the constant need for PC hardware upgrades
    >to run all the bloatware PC users "need" to use.

    Lamers and Gamers.

    My latest pet peeve has been the employment ads which read: To be con-
    sidered, resumes _must_ be submitted in Micro$hit W(ei)RD format. If
    that requirement is more important than hiring a qualified individual,
    I make note and will NOT do business with said company.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  3. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    In article , "Tom Linden" writes:

    > What do you use to create pdf documents?

    LaTex.

  4. Re: Scrolling wheel support on VMS

    On May 13, 10:16*am, Tom Wade wrote:
    > > How did you do that ? I have Exceed 2006. What are the config steps
    > > for using this in XConfig?

    > Bring up the Exceed configuration program, and select Mouse Input.
    >
    > Select "Wheel movement invokes macro" and click on Macro Bindings.
    > Create new Macros for wheel up and wheel down. *Click on Record to
    > record the input sequence for each. *The keys are CTRL/Up-Arrow &
    > CTRL/Down-Arrow.
    > Tom Wade * * * * * * * * | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
    > EuroKom * * * * * * * * *| Tel: * +353 (1) 296-9696
    > A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: * +353 (1) 296-9697
    > Rathfarnham * * * * * * *| Disclaimer: *This is not a disclaimer
    > Dublin 14 * * * * * * * *| Tip: * "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
    > Ireland

    Worked like a charm. Why didn't I think of it before???
    Thanks
    Van

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2