rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600 - VMS

This is a discussion on rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600 - VMS ; In reading the specifications for these Itanium servers, the largest disk size available is 146gb. However, they do mention in the future that 300gb disks will be available. Does anyone know when in the future these disks will be available ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600

  1. rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600

    In reading the specifications for these Itanium servers, the largest
    disk size available is 146gb. However, they do mention in the future that
    300gb disks will be available. Does anyone know when in the future these
    disks will be available on these servers?

    Thanks,
    Chuck

  2. Re: rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600

    On May 6, 11:12 am, Chuck Aaron wrote:
    > In reading the specifications for these Itanium servers, the largest
    > disk size available is 146gb. However, they do mention in the future that
    > 300gb disks will be available. Does anyone know when in the future these
    > disks will be available on these servers?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chuck


    Hi Chuck,

    I'm currently running 300gig drives on several rx26x0 systems -- they
    are available and work fine. As a direct response to your question, I
    would say "last year".

    Aaron

  3. Re: rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600

    Are these SATA/PATA SAS or SCSI?


    --
    David B Turner

    =============================================

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International: 001 706 993 1787
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    =============================================
    "Chuck Aaron" wrote in message
    news:fvq013$7nm$1@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu...
    > In reading the specifications for these Itanium servers, the largest
    > disk size available is 146gb. However, they do mention in the future that
    > 300gb disks will be available. Does anyone know when in the future these
    > disks will be available on these servers?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chuck




  4. Re: rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600

    On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Alphaman
    wrote:
    >
    > On May 6, 11:12 am, Chuck Aaron wrote:
    > > In reading the specifications for these Itanium servers, the largest
    > > disk size available is 146gb. However, they do mention in the future that
    > > 300gb disks will be available. Does anyone know when in the future these
    > > disks will be available on these servers?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chuck

    >
    > Hi Chuck,
    >
    > I'm currently running 300gig drives on several rx26x0 systems -- they
    > are available and work fine. As a direct response to your question, I
    > would say "last year".
    >
    > Aaron
    >


    We've got 300s hanging off of our rx2600s for sure.
    Don't recall what the 7640s and 8640s have- probably 72s.

    Hot swappable SAS, I believe, but that's off the top of my head..

    WWWebb

  5. Re: rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600

    A reply from HP on the 300gb internal drives on the Itanium Servers.

    -The rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600 do not support 300GB drives internal to the server.

    John Short
    Configuration Design Specialist II
    Hewlett Packard Solutions


    William Webb wrote:
    > On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Alphaman
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On May 6, 11:12 am, Chuck Aaron wrote:
    >> > In reading the specifications for these Itanium servers, the largest
    >> > disk size available is 146gb. However, they do mention in the future that
    >> > 300gb disks will be available. Does anyone know when in the future these
    >> > disks will be available on these servers?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Chuck

    >>
    >> Hi Chuck,
    >>
    >> I'm currently running 300gig drives on several rx26x0 systems -- they
    >> are available and work fine. As a direct response to your question, I
    >> would say "last year".
    >>
    >> Aaron
    >>
    >>

    >
    > We've got 300s hanging off of our rx2600s for sure.
    > Don't recall what the 7640s and 8640s have- probably 72s.
    >
    > Hot swappable SAS, I believe, but that's off the top of my head..
    >
    > WWWebb
    >


  6. Re: rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600

    On 7 May, 12:25, Chuck Aaron wrote:
    > A reply from HP on the 300gb internal drives on the Itanium Servers.
    >
    > -The rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600 do not support 300GB drives internal to the server.
    >
    > John Short
    > Configuration Design Specialist II
    > Hewlett Packard Solutions
    >
    >
    >
    > William Webb wrote:
    > > On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Alphaman
    > > wrote:

    >
    > >> On May 6, 11:12 am, Chuck Aaron wrote:
    > >> *> In reading the specifications for these Itanium servers, the largest
    > >> *> disk size available is 146gb. However, they do mention in the future that
    > >> *> 300gb disks will be available. Does anyone know when in the futurethese
    > >> *> disks will be available on these servers?

    >
    > >> *> Thanks,
    > >> *> Chuck

    >
    > >> *Hi Chuck,

    >
    > >> *I'm currently running 300gig drives on several rx26x0 systems -- they
    > >> *are available and work fine. *As a direct response to your question, I
    > >> *would say "last year".

    >
    > >> *Aaron

    >
    > > We've got 300s hanging off of our rx2600s for sure.
    > > Don't recall what the 7640s and 8640s have- probably 72s.

    >
    > > Hot swappable SAS, I believe, but that's off the top of my head..

    >
    > > WWWebb- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Possibly they run hotter than the other drives or they've never been
    qualified?
    Could also be a limitation on the controller cards for the internal
    disks.
    Probably get better performance on an external disk, though at
    additional cost of course!

  7. Re: rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600

    > -The rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600 do not support 300GB drives internal to the server.


    From a compatibility point of view, is the IDE issue simply whether the
    controller is new enough to support anything bigger than 128 gigs ? Or
    is there some other threshold beyond 128 gigs ?

    (or is IDE dead, replaced by SATA in new machines ?)

  8. Re: rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600

    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > On 7 May, 12:25, Chuck Aaron wrote:
    >> A reply from HP on the 300gb internal drives on the Itanium Servers.
    >>
    >> -The rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600 do not support 300GB drives internal to the server.
    >>
    >> John Short
    >> Configuration Design Specialist II
    >> Hewlett Packard Solutions
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> William Webb wrote:
    >>> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Alphaman
    >>> wrote:
    >>>> On May 6, 11:12 am, Chuck Aaron wrote:
    >>>> > In reading the specifications for these Itanium servers, the largest
    >>>> > disk size available is 146gb. However, they do mention in the future that
    >>>> > 300gb disks will be available. Does anyone know when in the future these
    >>>> > disks will be available on these servers?
    >>>> > Thanks,
    >>>> > Chuck
    >>>> Hi Chuck,
    >>>> I'm currently running 300gig drives on several rx26x0 systems -- they
    >>>> are available and work fine. As a direct response to your question, I
    >>>> would say "last year".
    >>>> Aaron
    >>> We've got 300s hanging off of our rx2600s for sure.
    >>> Don't recall what the 7640s and 8640s have- probably 72s.
    >>> Hot swappable SAS, I believe, but that's off the top of my head..
    >>> WWWebb- Hide quoted text -

    >> - Show quoted text -

    >
    > Possibly they run hotter than the other drives or they've never been
    > qualified?
    > Could also be a limitation on the controller cards for the internal
    > disks.
    > Probably get better performance on an external disk, though at
    > additional cost of course!

    The aforementioned servers support 2.5" Small Form Factor SAS drives. At
    this time, there are no 300GB SFF drives available. The older servers,
    such as the rx2600/rx2620 and the mid-range rx7640/rx8640 use 3.5" SCSI
    drives. 300GB SCSI hard drives are common, and available for those
    platforms.

    /danno

  9. Re: rx2660, rx3600, and rx6600

    Alphaman wrote:
    > On May 6, 11:12 am, Chuck Aaron wrote:
    >> In reading the specifications for these Itanium servers, the largest
    >> disk size available is 146gb. However, they do mention in the future that
    >> 300gb disks will be available. Does anyone know when in the future these
    >> disks will be available on these servers?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Chuck

    >
    > Hi Chuck,
    >
    > I'm currently running 300gig drives on several rx26x0 systems -- they
    > are available and work fine. As a direct response to your question, I
    > would say "last year".
    >
    > Aaron

    ....but not on the rx2660. That one uses 2.5" SAS drives. 300GB HDDs are
    not available for the rx2660.

+ Reply to Thread