LICENSE suggestion (file locked) - VMS

This is a discussion on LICENSE suggestion (file locked) - VMS ; It is that time of the year again, Hobbyist license renewalls :-) This year, I decided to have one DECterm do a LICENSE LIST/FULL/before/term=18-may-2008 and then delete old licences and reload new ones for each of the products I have. ...

  1. LICENSE suggestion (file locked)

    It is that time of the year again, Hobbyist license renewalls :-)

    This year, I decided to have one DECterm do a

    LICENSE LIST/FULL/before/term=18-may-2008

    and then delete old licences and reload new ones for each of the
    products I have. (I only load licences I use, and I have some "real"
    licenses that I preserve, of course.)

    The problem is that when, on a second window, I started to issue
    commands such as LICENCE DELETE, I got:

    > $ licence delete c /author=DECUS-CAN-078xxxxxx-1053462
    > %LICENSE-F-BADLDB, error reading license database SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE]LMF$LICENSE
    > .LDB;
    > -RMS-E-FLK, file currently locked by another user

    Turns out the LICENSE LIST command is taking locks on the database that
    prevents updates !

    So the suggestion is that LICENSE LIST shouldn't take out locks on the
    whole database/records so that from another window, we could them do
    updates to the database for each record that needs to be updated (or
    deleted and then replaced with new one).

  2. Re: LICENSE suggestion (file locked)

    On May 6, 2:37 am, JF Mezei wrote:
    > It is that time of the year again, Hobbyist license renewalls :-)
    >
    > This year, I decided to have one DECterm do a
    >
    > LICENSE LIST/FULL/before/term=18-may-2008
    >
    > and then delete old licences and reload new ones for each of the
    > products I have. (I only load licences I use, and I have some "real"
    > licenses that I preserve, of course.)

    :
    :
    > Turns out the LICENSE LIST command is taking locks on the database that
    > prevents updates !
    >
    > So the suggestion is that LICENSE LIST shouldn't take out locks on the
    > whole database/records so that from another window, we could them do
    > updates to the database for each record that needs to be updated (or
    > deleted and then replaced with new one).

    Not a solution to the lock issue, but for cleaning up PAKs, I use the
    process detailed in this article:

    http://openvms.hobby-site.com/pivot/entry.php?id=9

    This also references an ATW article -- the pertinent part is all the
    way to the bottom of the article: "If you have very many terminated
    PAKs..."

    I've also used this process to keep PAKs that I don't want deleted:

    http://openvms.hobby-site.com/pivot/entry.php?id=44

    That way, I automate the entire process inside the PAK .com file,
    rather than managing each license individually by hand (or DECterm, as
    the case may be...)

    HTH,
    Aaron

+ Reply to Thread