TCPIP-F-SSH_ALLOC_ERROR, ssh memory allocation error - VMS

This is a discussion on TCPIP-F-SSH_ALLOC_ERROR, ssh memory allocation error - VMS ; HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version T5.7 on an AlphaServer 800 5/500 running OpenVMS V8.3 But also seen on V5.6 and T5.7 on RX2600 and V5.6 on Alpha I have setup my SSH clients (Putty for Windows, Putty for ...

  1. TCPIP-F-SSH_ALLOC_ERROR, ssh memory allocation error

    HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version T5.7
    on an AlphaServer 800 5/500 running OpenVMS V8.3

    But also seen on V5.6 and T5.7 on RX2600 and V5.6 on Alpha

    I have setup my SSH clients (Putty for Windows, Putty for Pocket
    PC and some other product that I forget now) to do port
    forwarding so I can get POP mail and that works fine. But when I
    setup port forwarding for PC Anywhere and/or Remote Desktop I get
    "TCPIP-F-SSH_ALLOC_ERROR, ssh memory allocation error" in my
    TCPIP$SSH_RUN.LOG and the SSH client disconnects. I have doubled
    and tripled all quotas for the TCPIP$SSH username. I have also
    tried watching the quotas on the TCPIP$SSH process as it dies but
    none of the quotas get anywhere near their maximum.

    The Accounting information also shows that none of the quotas are
    near their maximum values (AUTHORIZE for the TCPIP$SSH account or
    PQL parameters in SYSGEN). Does anyone know what is causing this
    error and how to fix it?

    Peter Weaver
    www.WeaverConsulting.ca www.OpenVMSvirtualization.com
    www.VAXvirtualization.com www.AlphaVirtualization.com

  2. Re: TCPIP-F-SSH_ALLOC_ERROR, ssh memory allocation error

    Peter Weaver wrote:

    > [...] But when I
    > setup port forwarding for PC Anywhere and/or Remote Desktop

    That may tell someone else something about what you did, but
    not me.

    > I get
    > "TCPIP-F-SSH_ALLOC_ERROR, ssh memory allocation error" in my
    > TCPIP$SSH_RUN.LOG and the SSH client disconnects. I have doubled
    > and tripled all quotas for the TCPIP$SSH username. I have also
    > tried watching the quotas on the TCPIP$SSH process as it dies but
    > none of the quotas get anywhere near their maximum.

    Which quotas are "all" quotas? Is the problem with the
    TCPIP$SSH account, or the user's account?

    Knowing nothing, I'd assume that malloc() failed, so I'd
    suspect a shortage of virtual memory (page file quota).

    SMS.

  3. RE: TCPIP-F-SSH_ALLOC_ERROR, ssh memory allocation error

    > Which quotas are "all" quotas? Is the problem with the
    > TCPIP$SSH account, or the user's account?
    >
    > Knowing nothing, I'd assume that malloc() failed, so I'd
    > suspect a shortage of virtual memory (page file quota).

    The accounting record for TCPIP$SSH is the one showing the
    SSH_ALLOC_ERROR, it also shows in the .LOG for the TCPIP$SSH user
    so I think it is not the user's account. At least once I saw the
    user's process still around after the TCPIP$SSH process had
    already crashed.

    First I doubled PGFLQUOTA for the TCPIP$SSH user, then tripled it
    then raised it to match the PGFLQUOTA on the user's account
    (33554432). Then I raised PQL_DPGFLQUOTA on both the Alpha and
    IA64 to 33554432.

    Then I increased BYTLM, ASTLM, BIOLM, DIOLM, WSQUO, JTQUOTA and
    ENQLM for the account and the related PQL parameters.

    So I figured I would give up and see if someone else out here
    already solved the problem of using port forwarding to run PC
    Anywhere or Remote Desktop and felt like sharing the answer.

    Peter Weaver
    www.WeaverConsulting.ca www.OpenVMSvirtualization.com
    www.VAXvirtualization.com www.AlphaVirtualization.com

+ Reply to Thread