Advantages of Clustered 4100s - VMS

This is a discussion on Advantages of Clustered 4100s - VMS ; I have two 4100s that are clustered. Do they share CPUs and memory when a user logs into any of the 4100s? I am considering shutting down one of the 4100s. Thanks, Mike Cross...

  1. Advantages of Clustered 4100s

    I have two 4100s that are clustered. Do they share CPUs and memory when
    a user logs into any of the 4100s? I am considering shutting down one
    of the 4100s.

    Thanks,

    Mike Cross

  2. Re: Advantages of Clustered 4100s

    Cross Michael C Mr CIV USAF 53 CSS/SCO wrote:
    > I have two 4100s that are clustered. Do they share CPUs and memory when
    > a user logs into any of the 4100s?

    No!

    >I am considering shutting down one
    > of the 4100s.

    You can probably move CPU's and memory from the machine you shut down to
    the machine you still have running, assuming that it's not already maxed
    out. ISTR that a 4100 can support up to four CPU's. I don't recall
    what the maximum memory might be but I'd be surprised if you couldn't
    install at least 4 GB.

  3. Re: Advantages of Clustered 4100s

    Cross Michael C Mr CIV USAF 53 CSS/SCO wrote:
    > I have two 4100s that are clustered. Do they share CPUs and memory when
    > a user logs into any of the 4100s? I am considering shutting down one
    > of the 4100s.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike Cross

    I hope you are aware of what you need to do about the cluster
    configuration when you remove one node (computer) from a cluster. The
    least you need to do is to reconfigure the cluster.
    I also hope that you are sure that you don't need the other node for
    some application or service and you don't create any single point of
    failure.
    Usually OpenVMS nodes are clustered to provide better service or redundancy.

    Regards,

    Kari

  4. Re: Advantages of Clustered 4100s

    On 5 May, 17:56, "Cross Michael C Mr CIV USAF 53 CSS/SCO"
    wrote:
    > I have two 4100s that are clustered. *Do they share CPUs and memory when
    > a user logs into any of the 4100s? *I am considering shutting down one
    > of the 4100s.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike Cross

    Hi Mike,

    You don't make it clear whether they are AlphaServer 4100s (which take
    up to four CPUs each) or VAX 4000-100 systems, sometimes known as VAX
    4100.

    Is the shutdown permanent or temporary? Are there any resources that
    are hung directly off the system that is being shutdown which are not
    accessible directly to the other server (e.g. a local tape drive?)

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread