How to avoid additional enter when using ssh - VMS

This is a discussion on How to avoid additional enter when using ssh - VMS ; Hi All, I use OpenVMS V7.3-2 on Alpha with TCPIP V5.4 ECO 6. I use SSH. The ssh declared version (ssh -h) is 3.2.0 . There is an annoying behavior of ssh (both when activated towards a remote OpenVMS machine ...

  1. How to avoid additional enter when using ssh

    Hi All,

    I use OpenVMS V7.3-2 on Alpha with TCPIP V5.4 ECO 6.
    I use SSH.
    The ssh declared version (ssh -h) is 3.2.0 .

    There is an annoying behavior of ssh (both when activated towards a
    remote OpenVMS machine or
    a Windows machin). The example is:

    I activate:
    $ SSH -o "batchmode yes" vms2 "@test" ! vms2 is the name of the
    remote node
    where the test.com contains, for example:

    $ show time

    The output is:
    Authentication successful

    {the current date & time}

    And there it stops AND WAITS FOR MY ADDITIONAL ENTER !!!

    So, how can I avoid the additional ENTER ?!

    By the way: The SSH command procedure on the remote node is actually
    used as a
    "post-copy function", to move files that sftp copied but cannot
    bring to their final target in the remote nodet. The "show time"
    example here is just for
    simlicitly.

    Thanks,
    Ami.

  2. Re: How to avoid additional enter when using ssh

    ami.kurt...@gmail.com wrote:

    > [...]
    > $ SSH -o "batchmode yes" vms2 "@test" ! vms2 is the name of the
    > remote node
    > where the test.com contains, for example:
    >
    > $ show time
    >
    > The output is:
    > Authentication successful
    >
    > {the current date & time}
    >
    > And there it stops AND WAITS FOR MY ADDITIONAL ENTER !!!
    >
    > So, how can I avoid the additional ENTER ?!
    > [...]

    The only solution I've found was a suggestion on the ITRC forum. Not
    classy, but apparently effective:

    define /user_mode sys$command nl:
    ssh host -o "batchmode yes" "@ cmd_proc.com"

    For example:

    alp $ ssh alp -o "batchmode yes" "@ my_mode.com"
    Authentication successful.

    My mode is NETWORK. [Hangs.]

    alp $ define /user_mode sys$command nl:
    alp $ ssh alp -o "batchmode yes" "@ my_mode.com"
    Authentication successful.

    My mode is NETWORK.
    alp $

    The hanging seems to depend on exactly what's in the command
    procedure,
    but I haven't bothered to puzzle out exactly what causes it.

  3. Re: How to avoid additional enter when using ssh

    On 5 mei, 15:18, sms.antin...@gmail.com wrote:
    > ami.kurt...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > [...]
    > > $ SSH -o "batchmode yes" vms2 "@test" ! vms2 is the name of the
    > > remote node
    > > where the test.com contains, for example:

    > > $ show time

    > > The output is:
    > > Authentication successful

    > > {the current date & time}

    > > And there it stops AND WAITS FOR MY ADDITIONAL ENTER !!!

    > > So, how can I avoid the additional ENTER ?!
    > > [...]

    > The only solution I've found was a suggestion on the ITRC forum. Not
    > classy, but apparently effective:
    >
    > define /user_mode sys$command nl:
    > ssh host -o "batchmode yes" "@ cmd_proc.com"
    >
    > For example:
    >
    > alp $ ssh alp -o "batchmode yes" "@ my_mode.com"
    > Authentication successful.
    >
    > My mode is NETWORK. [Hangs.]
    >
    > alp $ define /user_mode sys$command nl:
    > alp $ ssh alp -o "batchmode yes" "@ my_mode.com"
    > Authentication successful.
    >
    > My mode is NETWORK.
    > alp $
    >
    > The hanging seems to depend on exactly what's in the command
    > procedure,
    > but I haven't bothered to puzzle out exactly what causes it.

    As you already found out this seems to be an ssh client issue. On
    TCPIP/IP 5.6
    eco 2 it seems to work, but on TCPIP 5.4 ECO 6 and 7 it doesn't work.
    There are however point -fix ssh images for TCPIP 5.4 available at HP
    that fix this problem
    (among others) as we have them installed on some systems, and there
    the extra enter is not needed.
    I would contact HP if I were you.

    regards,
    jose

  4. Re: How to avoid additional enter when using ssh

    On May 5, 6:02 pm, Jose Baars wrote:
    > On 5 mei, 15:18, sms.antin...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > ami.kurt...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > [...]
    > > > $ SSH -o "batchmode yes" vms2 "@test" ! vms2 is the name of the
    > > > remote node
    > > > where the test.com contains, for example:

    > > > $ show time

    > > > The output is:
    > > > Authentication successful

    > > > {the current date & time}

    > > > And there it stops AND WAITS FOR MY ADDITIONAL ENTER !!!

    > > > So, how can I avoid the additional ENTER ?!
    > > > [...]

    > > The only solution I've found was a suggestion on the ITRC forum. Not
    > > classy, but apparently effective:

    > > define /user_mode sys$command nl:
    > > ssh host -o "batchmode yes" "@ cmd_proc.com"

    > > For example:

    > > alp $ ssh alp -o "batchmode yes" "@ my_mode.com"
    > > Authentication successful.

    > > My mode is NETWORK. [Hangs.]

    > > alp $ define /user_mode sys$command nl:
    > > alp $ ssh alp -o "batchmode yes" "@ my_mode.com"
    > > Authentication successful.

    > > My mode is NETWORK.
    > > alp $

    > > The hanging seems to depend on exactly what's in the command
    > > procedure,
    > > but I haven't bothered to puzzle out exactly what causes it.

    > As you already found out this seems to be an ssh client issue. On
    > TCPIP/IP 5.6
    > eco 2 it seems to work, but on TCPIP 5.4 ECO 6 and 7 it doesn't work.
    > There are however point -fix ssh images for TCPIP 5.4 available at HP
    > that fix this problem
    > (among others) as we have them installed on some systems, and there
    > the extra enter is not needed.
    > I would contact HP if I were you.
    >
    > regards,
    > jose

    to sms.antinode@gmail.com and Jose:

    Thanks. I'll soon move to TCPIP/IP 5.6 eco 2, so this problem will be
    solved then.
    Anyway, The bypass suggested by sms.antinode@gmail.com works, and
    will serve me for the time being. Again - Thanks a lot !

    regards,
    Ami

+ Reply to Thread