MX duplicate name - VMS

This is a discussion on MX duplicate name - VMS ; I have been struggling with a seemingly trivial problem, changing my IP die to a flake ISP. TCPIP leaves a lot to be desired, but leave that for the moment, Can't start the MX smtp server ODIN> more MX_ROOT:[SMTP]SMTP_SERVER_ODIN.LOG 3-MAY-2008 ...

  1. MX duplicate name

    I have been struggling with a seemingly trivial problem, changing my IP
    die to a flake ISP. TCPIP leaves a lot to be desired, but leave that for
    the moment, Can't start the MX smtp server

    ODIN> more MX_ROOT:[SMTP]SMTP_SERVER_ODIN.LOG
    3-MAY-2008 07:26:12.08: MX SMTP Server (pid 21420E8F) starting
    %SYSTEM-F-DUPLNAM, duplicate name
    %TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows

    Where would I look for the duplication?

    Tom

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: MX duplicate name

    On May 3, 9:41*pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > I have been struggling with a seemingly trivial problem, changing my IP
    > die to a flake ISP. *TCPIP leaves a lot to be desired, but leave that for
    > the moment, *Can't start the MX smtp server
    >
    > ODIN> more MX_ROOT:[SMTP]SMTP_SERVER_ODIN.LOG
    > * 3-MAY-2008 07:26:12.08: *MX SMTP Server (pid 21420E8F) starting
    > %SYSTEM-F-DUPLNAM, duplicate name
    > %TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
    >
    > Where would I look for the duplication?

    Process name?
    $ help /mess dupname

    Hein.

  3. Re: MX duplicate name

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 23:16:59 -0700, Hein RMS van den Heuvel
    wrote:

    > On May 3, 9:41*pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >> I have been struggling with a seemingly trivial problem, changing my IP
    >> die to a flake ISP. *TCPIP leaves a lot to be desired, but leave that
    >> for
    >> the moment, *Can't start the MX smtp server
    >>
    >> ODIN> more MX_ROOT:[SMTP]SMTP_SERVER_ODIN.LOG
    >> * 3-MAY-2008 07:26:12.08: *MX SMTP Server (pid 21420E8F) starting
    >> %SYSTEM-F-DUPLNAM, duplicate name
    >> %TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
    >>
    >> Where would I look for the duplication?

    > Process name?
    > $ help /mess dupname
    >
    > Hein.

    FREJA> help /mess duplname
    %MSGHLP-F-NOTFOUND, message not found in Help Message database

    Nothing in MX either.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  4. Re: MX duplicate name

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 23:16:59 -0700, Hein RMS van den Heuvel
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On May 3, 9:41 pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >>> I have been struggling with a seemingly trivial problem, changing my IP
    >>> die to a flake ISP. TCPIP leaves a lot to be desired, but leave that
    >>> for
    >>> the moment, Can't start the MX smtp server
    >>>
    >>> ODIN> more MX_ROOT:[SMTP]SMTP_SERVER_ODIN.LOG
    >>> 3-MAY-2008 07:26:12.08: MX SMTP Server (pid 21420E8F) starting
    >>> %SYSTEM-F-DUPLNAM, duplicate name
    >>> %TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
    >>>
    >>> Where would I look for the duplication?

    >> Process name?
    >> $ help /mess dupname
    >>
    >> Hein.

    > FREJA> help /mess duplname
    > %MSGHLP-F-NOTFOUND, message not found in Help Message database

    Actually found on VMS V8.3 with help/mess dup (is this a bug?):

    DUPLNAM, duplicate name

    Facility: SYSTEM, System Services

    Explanation: This message can occur under either of the following
    circumstances:

    o A process name specified in a request to create a process
    duplicates the name of an existing process executing with
    the same group number. Process names must be unique within
    a group.

    o A global section name specified in a request to create a
    global section duplicates the name of an existing global
    section within the system. Global section names must be
    unique within a group for group global sections or unique
    within the system for system global sections.

    User Action: Specify an alternative process name or global section name.
    Check whether the existing process or global section with that
    name should be deleted. If so, use the DCL command STOP to
    delete the process or use the system service $DGBLSC to delete
    the global section.

  5. Re: MX duplicate name

    On May 4, 8:39*am, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 23:16:59 -0700, Hein RMS van den Heuvel *
    >

    > wrote:
    > > On May 3, 9:41*pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > >> I have been struggling with a seemingly trivial problem, changing my IP
    > >> die to a flake ISP. *TCPIP leaves a lot to be desired, but leave that*
    > >> for
    > >> the moment, *Can't start the MX smtp server

    > >> ODIN> more MX_ROOT:[SMTP]SMTP_SERVER_ODIN.LOG
    > >> * 3-MAY-2008 07:26:12.08: *MX SMTP Server (pid 21420E8F) starting
    > >> %SYSTEM-F-DUPLNAM, duplicate name
    > >> %TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows

    > >> Where would I look for the duplication?

    Hein> > Process name?
    Hein> > $ help /mess dupname

    ... oops managed to highlight and paste a command line with typo.
    missing "L".

    Tom> FREJA> help /mess duplname
    > %MSGHLP-F-NOTFOUND, message not found in Help Message database

    Typo... extraneous "E"

    fwiw.
    Hein.

  6. Re: MX duplicate name

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 05:39:32 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 23:16:59 -0700, Hein RMS van den Heuvel
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On May 3, 9:41*pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >>> I have been struggling with a seemingly trivial problem, changing my IP
    >>> die to a flake ISP. *TCPIP leaves a lot to be desired, but leave that
    >>> for
    >>> the moment, *Can't start the MX smtp server
    >>>
    >>> ODIN> more MX_ROOT:[SMTP]SMTP_SERVER_ODIN.LOG
    >>> * 3-MAY-2008 07:26:12.08: *MX SMTP Server (pid 21420E8F) starting
    >>> %SYSTEM-F-DUPLNAM, duplicate name
    >>> %TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
    >>>
    >>> Where would I look for the duplication?

    >> Process name?
    >> $ help /mess dupname
    >>
    >> Hein.

    > FREJA> help /mess duplname
    > %MSGHLP-F-NOTFOUND, message not found in Help Message database
    >
    > Nothing in MX either.

    Spelling it correctly doesn't shed any new light , but looking at OPCON
    see

    INTERnet ACP AUXS error during process exit Status = %SYSTEM-F-LINKDISCON

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  7. SOLVED: MX duplicate name

    On Mon, 05 May 2008 08:52:55 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 05:39:32 -0700, Tom Linden
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 03 May 2008 23:16:59 -0700, Hein RMS van den Heuvel
    >> wrote:

    >>> Process name?
    >>> $ help /mess dupname
    >>>
    >>> Hein.

    >> FREJA> help /mess duplname
    >> %MSGHLP-F-NOTFOUND, message not found in Help Message database
    >>
    >> Nothing in MX either.
    >>

    > Spelling it correctly doesn't shed any new light , but looking at OPCON
    > see
    >
    > INTERnet ACP AUXS error during process exit Status =
    > %SYSTEM-F-LINKDISCON

    Apparently under 8.3 a SHOW SYSTEM doesn't display a TCPIP SMTP client,
    at least I didn't recognise one, but turning it off via the config
    script did the trick

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com