TCPIP$CONFIG - VMS

This is a discussion on TCPIP$CONFIG - VMS ; HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.5 - ECO 2 on a COMPAQ Professional Workstation XP1000 running OpenVMS V8.2 When running the test,what does this mean? %%% TCPIP IVP: started %%% %%% TCPIP IVP: error - Create and Bind ...

  1. TCPIP$CONFIG

    HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.5 - ECO 2
    on a COMPAQ Professional Workstation XP1000 running OpenVMS V8.2

    When running the test,what does this mean?

    %%% TCPIP IVP: started %%%

    %%% TCPIP IVP: error - Create and Bind Sender Device-Socket %%%
    %SYSTEM-F-IVADDR, invalid media address

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: TCPIP$CONFIG

    Tom Linden wrote:

    > When running the test,what does this mean?
    > %%% TCPIP IVP: started %%%

    > %%% TCPIP IVP: error - Create and Bind Sender Device-Socket %%%
    > %SYSTEM-F-IVADDR, invalid media address

    When you use TCPIP$CONFIG to look at the core environment (option 1),
    does it show domain, interfaces etc in a way that looks reasonable ?

    If this all fails, suggest you look at:

    $DIR SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP*.DAT*

    the CONFIGURATION.DAT one contains your interface definitions. (stuff
    done with SET CONF). It also contains which services are to be started
    by default.

    You could delete this file and re-run the TCPIP$CONFIG and repopulate
    the core environment.

    Are you able to PING ? Traceroute ? (@SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$DEFINE_COMMANDS
    to define those commands).

    Does TCPIP> SHOW DEV provide any BG devices, or some error message ?

    Does TCPIP> SHOW NAME provide any meaningful output ?

  3. Re: TCPIP$CONFIG

    "Tom Linden" schreef in bericht
    newsp.ualvm7zghv4qyg@murphus.hsd1.ca.comcast.net...
    > HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.5 - ECO 2
    > on a COMPAQ Professional Workstation XP1000 running OpenVMS V8.2
    >
    > When running the test,what does this mean?
    >
    > %%% TCPIP IVP: started %%%
    >

    > %%% TCPIP IVP: error - Create and Bind Sender Device-Socket %%%
    > %SYSTEM-F-IVADDR, invalid media address
    >

    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMS
    > www.kednos.com

    An invalid MAC address perhaps? Seems unlikely though.

  4. Re: TCPIP$CONFIG

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 00:58:23 -0700, JF Mezei
    wrote:

    > Tom Linden wrote:
    >
    >> When running the test,what does this mean?
    >> %%% TCPIP IVP: started %%%

    >> %%% TCPIP IVP: error - Create and Bind Sender Device-Socket %%%
    >> %SYSTEM-F-IVADDR, invalid media address

    > When you use TCPIP$CONFIG to look at the core environment (option 1),
    > does it show domain, interfaces etc in a way that looks reasonable ?
    >
    > If this all fails, suggest you look at:
    >
    > $DIR SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP*.DAT*
    >
    > the CONFIGURATION.DAT one contains your interface definitions. (stuff
    > done with SET CONF). It also contains which services are to be started
    > by default.

    The file itself is not really readable

    > You could delete this file and re-run the TCPIP$CONFIG and repopulate
    > the core environment.

    I may try that. I have noted that changing the HOST file is not as easy as
    it used to be. Removing entries is not straight-forward. I may remove
    that
    too.

    > Are you able to PING ? Traceroute ? (@SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$DEFINE_COMMANDS
    > to define those commands).
    >
    > Does TCPIP> SHOW DEV provide any BG devices, or some error message ?

    Lots of BG devices

    > Does TCPIP> SHOW NAME provide any meaningful output ?

    Yes, but it also has the old IPs for the servers, rerunning BIND doesn't
    remove them.

    I am really not fond of these interfaces, very cumbersome.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  5. Re: TCPIP$CONFIG

    Tom Linden wrote:

    >> the CONFIGURATION.DAT one contains your interface definitions. (stuff

    > The file itself is not really readable

    It is a "binary" file. But the point is that if there is some corruption
    in it, you can delete it and start the tcpip$config procedure from
    scratch and it will create a new configuration.dat file.

    >> Does TCPIP> SHOW NAME provide any meaningful output ?

    > Yes, but it also has the old IPs for the servers, rerunning BIND doesn't
    > remove them.

    Except for SET NAME/INIT, all other aspects of SET NAME and SET HOST are
    related to the RESOLVER (aka: the client on this particular node). This
    is separate from the BIND server which can run on the same node, but
    could be anywhere.

    Restarting the BIND server (or doing SET NAME/INIT) rereads the config
    files in TCPIP$BIND_COMMON directory (notably TCPIP$BIND.CONF which
    points to the various zone files (.db)

    SET NAME/SYSTEM changes the dynamic RESOLVER settings.
    SET CONF NAME changes the permanent RESOLVER settings.

    If you wish to test the BIND SERVER despite the resolver being broken:
    $NSLOOKUP
    > SET SERVER ip.address.of.bind.server

    and then you can make requests and they will be resolved by that bind
    server.

+ Reply to Thread