Guess % of resumes that have a statement that is not true - VMS

This is a discussion on Guess % of resumes that have a statement that is not true - VMS ; Source: http://www.gorecroot.com It’s not 5 or 10, not even 20. A survey of global recruiters puts the estimate at 40%. Almost all recruiters surveyed have confirmed that they have started investing more time in verifying authenticity of resumes. Top lies ...

  1. Guess % of resumes that have a statement that is not true

    Source: http://www.gorecroot.com

    It’s not 5 or 10, not even 20. A survey of global recruiters puts the
    estimate at 40%.

    Almost all recruiters surveyed have confirmed that they have started
    investing more time in verifying authenticity of resumes.

    Top lies are:
    1. Dates
    2. Achievements (stretching targets, increasing the number of people
    reporting in etc)
    3. Education
    4. Languages, skills

    Seemingly harmless short cuts are permeating all levels - right up to
    the now infamous RadioShack story. And, companies are including
    statements of the cleansing acts in their annual reports to the stock
    market.

    These short cuts are just that - so short lived. Like a candidate who
    had included couple of weeks of French grammar learning as,
    “Proficient in French” was stumped when the interviewer started en
    Francaise. Perhapse restricting to cheese and wine would have been
    more convenient.

    All that, now we have the candidate and the employer in one table, the
    interview starts…In a few minutes its all over - the employer has
    found some holes in the resume. Often recruiters take the brunt of all
    these.

    There are direct and indirect questions about: Did you doctor the
    resume?

    I would love to hear from fellow professionals on hilarious and some
    serious situations in the lines of above

  2. Re: Guess % of resumes that have a statement that is not true

    gorecroot wrote:
    > Source: http://www.gorecroot.com
    >

    > It’s not 5 or 10, not even 20. A survey of global recruiters puts the
    > estimate at 40%.
    >
    > Almost all recruiters surveyed have confirmed that they have started
    > investing more time in verifying authenticity of resumes.
    >
    > Top lies are:
    > 1. Dates
    > 2. Achievements (stretching targets, increasing the number of people
    > reporting in etc)
    > 3. Education
    > 4. Languages, skills
    >
    > Seemingly harmless short cuts are permeating all levels - right up to
    > the now infamous RadioShack story. And, companies are including
    > statements of the cleansing acts in their annual reports to the stock
    > market.
    >
    > These short cuts are just that - so short lived. Like a candidate who
    > had included couple of weeks of French grammar learning as,
    > “Proficient in French” was stumped when the interviewer started en
    > Francaise. Perhapse restricting to cheese and wine would have been
    > more convenient.
    >
    > All that, now we have the candidate and the employer in one table, the
    > interview starts…In a few minutes its all over - the employer has
    > found some holes in the resume. Often recruiters take the brunt of all
    > these.
    >
    > There are direct and indirect questions about: Did you doctor the
    > resume?
    >
    > I would love to hear from fellow professionals on hilarious and some
    > serious situations in the lines of above

    I recall one case, back in the 1990s, when a recruiter modified my
    resume and gave a copy to one of their clients. It was sufficient to
    get me the interview but I was forced to point out that what they had
    was NOT MY resume! I also made a point not to deal with that agency
    again. I think the client may have made a similar decision.

    Thereafter, I made a point of requesting that recruiters, employment
    agencies, etc, NOT alter my resume in any way, without my express
    permission. At the same time I offered to make any APPROPRIATE changes
    that they thought might be be beneficial.

+ Reply to Thread