Another sad day - Digital Starion bites the dust. - VMS

This is a discussion on Another sad day - Digital Starion bites the dust. - VMS ; After running for more that 13 years my Digital Starion has bit the dust. From 95-1999 it ran Windows 95/98/ME. Then in 1999 I installed Caldera Linux. It has been functioning to log into my linksys router and updating my ...

  1. Another sad day - Digital Starion bites the dust.

    After running for more that 13 years my Digital Starion has bit the
    dust. From 95-1999 it ran Windows 95/98/ME. Then in 1999 I installed
    Caldera Linux. It has been functioning to log into my linksys router
    and updating my dynamic DNS provider ever since. It lost the "C:" drive
    part of the controller around 2001 - and has been booting off of a
    floppy and changing control to the hard drive ever since.

    Anyway it died a horrible death and no longer reboots or anything. I
    replaced it's functionality tonight with a simple php script that does
    the same thing - Logs into the router, checks the IP address, compares
    it to my DNS, then updates if it has changed - resubmits batch job and
    runs every 5 minutes.

    DEC really knew how to build hardware. (and software, and drives and
    tape and chips and .. and... and... )

  2. Re: Another sad day - Digital Starion bites the dust.

    Michael Austin wrote:
    > After running for more that 13 years my Digital Starion has bit the
    > dust. From 95-1999 it ran Windows 95/98/ME. Then in 1999 I installed
    > Caldera Linux. It has been functioning to log into my linksys router
    > and updating my dynamic DNS provider ever since. It lost the "C:" drive
    > part of the controller around 2001 - and has been booting off of a
    > floppy and changing control to the hard drive ever since.
    >
    > Anyway it died a horrible death and no longer reboots or anything. I
    > replaced it's functionality tonight with a simple php script that does
    > the same thing - Logs into the router, checks the IP address, compares
    > it to my DNS, then updates if it has changed - resubmits batch job and
    > runs every 5 minutes.
    >
    > DEC really knew how to build hardware. (and software, and drives and
    > tape and chips and .. and... and... )

    And, had they been willing/able to do so at competitive prices, they
    might still be around.

    RIP DEC

+ Reply to Thread