Don't complain about your billing rates just yet - VMS

This is a discussion on Don't complain about your billing rates just yet - VMS ; I was bored, but unable to focus on writing tonight, so did some poking around on Dice. There, posted in the last 7 days is an COBOL opening for an IBM COBOL consultant needing many years of experience with a ...

  1. Don't complain about your billing rates just yet

    I was bored, but unable to focus on writing tonight, so did some
    poking around on Dice. There, posted in the last 7 days is an COBOL
    opening for an IBM COBOL consultant needing many years of experience
    with a maximum billing rate of $24.00/hr. They claim to have no
    flexibility on the billing rate.

    2000 * $24 = $48000.

    Mom can have that operation now!

  2. Re: Don't complain about your billing rates just yet

    yyyc186 wrote:
    > I was bored, but unable to focus on writing tonight, so did some
    > poking around on Dice. There, posted in the last 7 days is an COBOL
    > opening for an IBM COBOL consultant needing many years of experience
    > with a maximum billing rate of $24.00/hr. They claim to have no
    > flexibility on the billing rate.
    >
    > 2000 * $24 = $48000.
    >
    > Mom can have that operation now!

    yeah, usually those stupid HH that sell the customer on a minimal rate
    then try to fill it... Morons.

  3. Re: Don't complain about your billing rates just yet

    That'll make someone in India, and their immediate and distant family very
    happy.

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International: 001 706 993 1787
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "yyyc186" wrote in message
    >I was bored, but unable to focus on writing tonight, so did some
    > poking around on Dice. There, posted in the last 7 days is an COBOL
    > opening for an IBM COBOL consultant needing many years of experience
    > with a maximum billing rate of $24.00/hr. They claim to have no
    > flexibility on the billing rate.
    >
    > 2000 * $24 = $48000.
    >
    > Mom can have that operation now!

  4. Re: Don't complain about your billing rates just yet

    On May 2, 7:47*am, "David Turner, Island Computers"
    wrote:
    > That'll make someone in India, and their immediate and distant family very
    > happy.
    >

    > > 2000 * $24 = $48000.

    Too bad it is for on-site work here in the U.S. With the national
    average for a new college grad being over $50K, they've just publicly
    advertized they are engaging in a criminal activity. I should have
    forwarded the link to the Justice Department.

  5. Re: Don't complain about your billing rates just yet

    In article <9208ecbb-68ed-4934-8a33-c321ef38dad1@e53g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
    yyyc186 writes:
    > On May 2, 7:47*am, "David Turner, Island Computers"
    > wrote:
    >> That'll make someone in India, and their immediate and distant family very>> happy.
    >>

    >> > 2000 * $24 = $48000.

    > Too bad it is for on-site work here in the U.S. With the national
    > average for a new college grad being over $50K, they've just publicly
    > advertized they are engaging in a criminal activity. I should have
    > forwarded the link to the Justice Department.

    What makes offering a low salary a criminal event? Hiring is a
    contract matter. If someone wants to work for less than they are
    worth, I see nothing criminal in it. Stupid, maybe, but not criminal.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  6. Re: Don't complain about your billing rates just yet

    billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    >In article <9208ecbb-68ed-4934-8a33-c321ef38dad1@e53g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
    > yyyc186 writes:

    >> Too bad it is for on-site work here in the U.S. With the national
    >> average for a new college grad being over $50K, they've just publicly
    >> advertized they are engaging in a criminal activity. I should have
    >> forwarded the link to the Justice Department.

    >What makes offering a low salary a criminal event? Hiring is a
    >contract matter. If someone wants to work for less than they are
    >worth, I see nothing criminal in it. Stupid, maybe, but not criminal.

    It might be part of a scam to get foreign workers to the US to work at
    low pay. They can't just go to the INS/ICE and ask for a bunch of visas
    for people from, for example, India. They have to "prove" that there are
    not enough people in the US with those skills so they have to bring in
    foreign workers. So they advertize the positions for low pay, nobody
    here is willing to take them, and they go to the INS saying "See? We
    tried to fill these positions but we can't. Could you please let us
    bring in some people from India with those skills?

    Maybe.

  7. Re: Don't complain about your billing rates just yet

    On May 4, 3:27 am, moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
    wrote:
    > billg...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    > >In article <9208ecbb-68ed-4934-8a33-c321ef38d...@e53g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
    > > yyyc186 writes:
    > >> Too bad it is for on-site work here in the U.S. With the national
    > >> average for a new college grad being over $50K, they've just publicly
    > >> advertized they are engaging in a criminal activity. I should have
    > >> forwarded the link to the Justice Department.

    > >What makes offering a low salary a criminal event? Hiring is a
    > >contract matter. If someone wants to work for less than they are
    > >worth, I see nothing criminal in it. Stupid, maybe, but not criminal.

    > It might be part of a scam to get foreign workers to the US to work at
    > low pay. They can't just go to the INS/ICE and ask for a bunch of visas
    > for people from, for example, India. They have to "prove" that there are
    > not enough people in the US with those skills so they have to bring in
    > foreign workers. So they advertize the positions for low pay, nobody
    > here is willing to take them, and they go to the INS saying "See? We
    > tried to fill these positions but we can't. Could you please let us
    > bring in some people from India with those skills?
    >
    > Maybe.

    In possibly related news, that fine upstanding IT journal The Register
    reports that a US bodyshop has been given a $45K penalty "over claims
    it discriminated against legal US residents by advertising only for
    developers on H-1B visas." The comments are at least as interesting as
    the article itself.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...tion_doj_fine/

    $45K is small fry compared to the business impact of a project which
    fails due to hiring cheap cowboys.

  8. Re: Don't complain about your billing rates just yet

    On May 3, 8:02*pm, billg...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > What makes offering a low salary a criminal event? *Hiring is a
    > contract matter. *If someone wants to work for less than they are
    > worth, I see nothing criminal in it. Stupid, maybe, but not criminal.

    If they fill it with anything other than a U.S. citizen (i.e. put out
    a rate that far below the Department of Labor averages and fill it
    with H1-B) it is a criminal action carrying fines and prison time. H1-
    B and other visa holders which are actually elgible to hold jobs (not
    those over here on vacation visa's working in IT) are required to be
    paid prevailing wage. You cannot pay below the published government
    national averages.

    The posting of this opening was a blatant criminal act.

  9. Re: Don't complain about your billing rates just yet

    On May 3, 9:27*pm, moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
    wrote:

    > It might be part of a scam to get foreign workers to the US to work at
    > low pay. *They can't just go to the INS/ICE and ask for a bunch of visas
    > for people from, for example, India. *They have to "prove" that there are
    > not enough people in the US with those skills so they have to bring in
    > foreign workers. *So they advertize the positions for low pay, nobody
    > here is willing to take them, and they go to the INS saying "See? *We
    > tried to fill these positions but we can't. *Could you please let us
    > bring in some people from India with those skills?
    >
    > Maybe.

    Oh, they intend to fill it with H1-B, but they went too far. They
    advertised a billing rate below the department of labor's national
    average entry level salary. As soon as they put an H1-B working into
    that spot it is a federal crime. The posting of the position is a
    blatant advertisement of intent to commit a federal crime.

  10. Re: Don't complain about your billing rates just yet

    yyyc186 wrote:
    > On May 3, 8:02?pm, billg...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    >> What makes offering a low salary a criminal event? ?Hiring is a
    >> contract matter. ?If someone wants to work for less than they are
    >> worth, I see nothing criminal in it. Stupid, maybe, but not criminal.
    >>

    > If they fill it with anything other than a U.S. citizen (i.e. put out
    > a rate that far below the Department of Labor averages and fill it
    > with H1-B) it is a criminal action carrying fines and prison time. H1-
    > B and other visa holders which are actually elgible to hold jobs (not
    > those over here on vacation visa's working in IT) are required to be
    > paid prevailing wage. You cannot pay below the published government
    > national averages.
    >
    > The posting of this opening was a blatant criminal act.

    I want an IBM cobol programmer for $17.50/hr.

    you better call 911 ASAP.

  11. Re: Don't complain about your billing rates just yet

    On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 10:59 AM, yyyc186 wrote:
    > On May 3, 9:27 pm, moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> It might be part of a scam to get foreign workers to the US to work at
    >> low pay. They can't just go to the INS/ICE and ask for a bunch of visas
    >> for people from, for example, India. They have to "prove" that there are
    >> not enough people in the US with those skills so they have to bring in
    >> foreign workers. So they advertize the positions for low pay, nobody
    >> here is willing to take them, and they go to the INS saying "See? We
    >> tried to fill these positions but we can't. Could you please let us
    >> bring in some people from India with those skills?
    >>
    >> Maybe.

    > Oh, they intend to fill it with H1-B, but they went too far. They
    > advertised a billing rate below the department of labor's national
    > average entry level salary. As soon as they put an H1-B working into
    > that spot it is a federal crime. The posting of the position is a
    > blatant advertisement of intent to commit a federal crime.

    There are fourteen people on my VMS team.

    We don't even LOOK at anybody with less than ten years of experience,
    and that puts nearly all of the H1Bs out of the picture..

    WWWebb

+ Reply to Thread