Using sftp from OpenVMS to Windows - How to avoid version numbers ? - VMS

This is a discussion on Using sftp from OpenVMS to Windows - How to avoid version numbers ? - VMS ; Hi all, I use OpenVMS V7.3-2 on Alpha with TCPIP V5.4 ECO 6. I use sftp to copy files (my current directory contains: 1.tmp;1 , 2.tmp;1 , 3.tmp;1 ). when I copy a single file, say: put 1.tmp It gets ...

  1. Using sftp from OpenVMS to Windows - How to avoid version numbers ?

    Hi all,

    I use OpenVMS V7.3-2 on Alpha with TCPIP V5.4 ECO 6.
    I use sftp to copy files (my current directory contains: 1.tmp;1 ,
    2.tmp;1 , 3.tmp;1 ).
    when I copy a single file, say:
    put 1.tmp
    It gets the name 1.tmp in the Windows machine.
    But where I copy all the above files, like this:
    put *.* (or even mput *.*)
    It get the names 1.tmp;1 2.tmp;1 3.tmp;1 under Windows, that is: the
    version number gets to be
    part of the file name...
    Is there a way to copy all 3 files without the version number ?
    (I mean: without looping and sending them one by one...)
    The ssh installation in the Windows machine is Bitvise's WinSSHD 4.26

    Thans,
    Ami.

  2. Re: Using sftp from OpenVMS to Windows - How to avoid version numbers?

    ami.kurtser@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I use OpenVMS V7.3-2 on Alpha with TCPIP V5.4 ECO 6.
    > I use sftp to copy files (my current directory contains: 1.tmp;1 ,
    > 2.tmp;1 , 3.tmp;1 ).
    > when I copy a single file, say:
    > put 1.tmp
    > It gets the name 1.tmp in the Windows machine.
    > But where I copy all the above files, like this:
    > put *.* (or even mput *.*)
    > It get the names 1.tmp;1 2.tmp;1 3.tmp;1 under Windows, that is: the
    > version number gets to be
    > part of the file name...
    > Is there a way to copy all 3 files without the version number ?
    > (I mean: without looping and sending them one by one...)
    > The ssh installation in the Windows machine is Bitvise's WinSSHD 4.26
    >
    > Thans,
    > Ami.

    If you can zip up the files on the VMS side, copy the zip file over then
    unzip it you shouldn't get version numbers.

    Jeff Coffield

  3. Re: Using sftp from OpenVMS to Windows - How to avoid version numbers?

    ami.kurtser@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I use OpenVMS V7.3-2 on Alpha with TCPIP V5.4 ECO 6.
    > I use sftp to copy files (my current directory contains: 1.tmp;1 ,
    > 2.tmp;1 , 3.tmp;1 ).
    > when I copy a single file, say:
    > put 1.tmp
    > It gets the name 1.tmp in the Windows machine.
    > But where I copy all the above files, like this:
    > put *.* (or even mput *.*)
    > It get the names 1.tmp;1 2.tmp;1 3.tmp;1 under Windows, that is: the
    > version number gets to be
    > part of the file name...
    > Is there a way to copy all 3 files without the version number ?
    > (I mean: without looping and sending them one by one...)
    > The ssh installation in the Windows machine is Bitvise's WinSSHD 4.26
    >
    > Thans,
    > Ami.

    You can rename the files before sending them. I've never used SFTP
    (private network - no need) but with regular ftp you can specify the
    file name on the local node and the file name on the remote not.

    $ FTP MUMBLE.COM
    ascii
    put stuff.dat;1 stuff1.dat
    put stuff.dat;2 stuff2.dat
    put stuff.dat;3 stuff3.dat

  4. Re: Using sftp from OpenVMS to Windows - How to avoid version numbers?

    On May 1, 8:44*am, ami.kurt...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I use OpenVMS V7.3-2 on Alpha with TCPIP V5.4 ECO 6.
    > I use sftp to copy files (my current directory contains: 1.tmp;1 ,
    > 2.tmp;1 , 3.tmp;1 ).
    > when I copy a single file, say:
    > put 1.tmp
    > It gets the name 1.tmp in the Windows machine.
    > But where I copy all the above files, like this:
    > put *.* *(or even mput *.*)
    > It get the names 1.tmp;1 2.tmp;1 3.tmp;1 under Windows, that is: the
    > version number gets to be
    > part of the file name...
    > Is there a way to copy all 3 files without the version number ?
    > (I mean: without looping and sending them one by one...)
    > The ssh installation in the Windows machine is Bitvise's WinSSHD 4.26
    >
    > Thans,
    > Ami.

    You need to define the following logical:

    "TCPIP$FTP_NO_VERSION" = "1"

    Hope this helps,

    WWWebb

  5. Re: Using sftp from OpenVMS to Windows - How to avoid version numbers?

    On May 1, 8:33 pm, WWWebb wrote:
    > On May 1, 8:44 am, ami.kurt...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > Hi all,

    > > I use OpenVMS V7.3-2 on Alpha with TCPIP V5.4 ECO 6.
    > > I use sftp to copy files (my current directory contains: 1.tmp;1 ,
    > > 2.tmp;1 , 3.tmp;1 ).
    > > when I copy a single file, say:
    > > put 1.tmp
    > > It gets the name 1.tmp in the Windows machine.
    > > But where I copy all the above files, like this:
    > > put *.* (or even mput *.*)
    > > It get the names 1.tmp;1 2.tmp;1 3.tmp;1 under Windows, that is: the
    > > version number gets to be
    > > part of the file name...
    > > Is there a way to copy all 3 files without the version number ?
    > > (I mean: without looping and sending them one by one...)
    > > The ssh installation in the Windows machine is Bitvise's WinSSHD 4.26

    > > Thans,
    > > Ami.

    > You need to define the following logical:
    >
    > "TCPIP$FTP_NO_VERSION" = "1"
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > WWWebb

    Hi WWWebb,

    Thanks for the answer, but it didn't work:
    $ Define/system TCPIP$FTP_NO_VERSION 1
    $ sftp mywindow
    sftp> put *.*
    still moves 1.tmp;1 etc.

    Maybe this option applies to ftp only, but not to Sftp...
    Anyway, thanks for the good will !

    Ami

+ Reply to Thread