Re: ES45 says power supply failed - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: ES45 says power supply failed - VMS ; On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:48:44 -0700, Malcolm Dunnett wrote: >I have just gotten a used ES45 that I'm having a problem powering up. > >When I plug the system in the first green light comes on for all three ...

  1. Re: ES45 says power supply failed

    wrote:

    >I have just gotten a used ES45 that I'm having a problem powering up.
    >
    >When I plug the system in the first green light comes on for all three
    >power supplies and the OCP says "System is down". When I hit the power
    >button the fans don't spin up and I get a "PS0 Failed" on the OCP. If I
    >unplug PS0 the same thing happens, but it says "PS1 Failed", ditto for
    >PS2. If I remove the CPU door I can see a green led lit up on each CPU.
    >
    >It seems odd to me that all three power supplies would be failed, I even
    >swapped in a power supply from another ES45 I got at the same time, same
    >error.
    >
    >Do I really have five power supplies that are all adequate to run the
    >OCP but not the system or is this a bogus error that may be caused by a
    >loose cable or failed door interlock (or something of that ilk?)

    Sounds like they are plugged into 110. Check and see what the ES45
    needs for power.

    Pete

  2. Re: ES45 says power supply failed

    Pete wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:48:44 -0700, Malcolm Dunnett
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have just gotten a used ES45 that I'm having a problem powering up.
    >>
    >> When I plug the system in the first green light comes on for all three
    >> power supplies and the OCP says "System is down". When I hit the power
    >> button the fans don't spin up and I get a "PS0 Failed" on the OCP. If I
    >> unplug PS0 the same thing happens, but it says "PS1 Failed", ditto for
    >> PS2. If I remove the CPU door I can see a green led lit up on each CPU.
    >>
    >> It seems odd to me that all three power supplies would be failed, I even
    >> swapped in a power supply from another ES45 I got at the same time, same
    >> error.
    >>
    >> Do I really have five power supplies that are all adequate to run the
    >> OCP but not the system or is this a bogus error that may be caused by a
    >> loose cable or failed door interlock (or something of that ilk?)

    > Sounds like they are plugged into 110. Check and see what the ES45
    > needs for power.
    >
    > Pete

    Note that the power required by these boxes, and thus the number of
    power supplies, depends on things like the number of CPUs installed.
    Somewhere, there's a document with the configuration rules which you can
    use to determine the minimum number of power supplies required.

    Of course it's possible that you bought a broken box!

+ Reply to Thread