OpenVMS Update - VMS

This is a discussion on OpenVMS Update - VMS ; Dear Distribution Lists, I hope this message finds you well on this beautiful day. You will notice in this update that we are coming into the busy season for events. There are all kinds of things for you to be ...

  1. OpenVMS Update

    Dear Distribution Lists,

    I hope this message finds you well on this beautiful day. You will
    notice in this update that we are coming into the busy season for
    events. There are all kinds of things for you to be involved with.

    You can post everything but the job since it has a personal contact.

    On a sad note, the VMS community lost a huge corner stone last week
    when Dick Hustvedt passed away. He will be remember by us all with
    much affection. Our thoughts are with Audrey and their sons at this
    time of loss. Here is his son's blog
    http://seedwatcher.typepad.com/seedw...ory-of-my.html

    Warm Regards,
    Sue

    1.0 Events - you need to register now
    April 26th OpenVMS for the Hobbyist - Trenton NJ
    April 29 Encompass NY Metro Chapter meeting - Jersey City, NJ
    April 30th NYC HP Oracle event
    May 1 Washington DC - HP Oracle event
    May 18-23 Boot Camp
    May 6 - 22 Integrated by Design seminars
    2.0 OpenVMS Technical Journal Call for participation
    3.0 Encompass
    4.0 Partners
    BRUDEN-OSSG Announces the Addition of "Think Link" and VHPT White
    Paper
    Announcing CA(r) Performance Management for OpenVMS r3.1 Beta
    5.0 Sue's Fav's
    5.1 500% performance improvement
    5.2 United Natural Foods
    5.3 Boot Camp audio cast
    6.0 Job

    **************************
    ***************************

    1.0 Events

    LAST CHANCE TO SIGN UP
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    On April 26, 2008
    Mr. Gezelter will present OpenVMS for the Hobbyist:
    Industrial Strength at No Cost as part of the 33rd Annual Trenton
    Computer Festival, one of the oldest forums for computing hobbyists.

    Hewlett-Packardís OpenVMS is ranked as the Gold Standard for security
    and reliability. Since May 1997, over 1,200,000 licenses have been
    issued at no-cost to hobbyists who wish to work with OpenVMS on a non-
    commercial, personal hobby basis. The low-cost availability of VAX,
    Alpha, and simulated environments has made fully functional Hobbyist
    OpenVMS systems including all features within the reach of every
    hobbyist.

    This presentation will cover the functionality available with the
    OpenVMS Hobbyist program and how to get started as an OpenVMS
    hobbyist.

    A complete abstract of this talk and information about the
    presentation can be found at:
    http://www.rlgsc.com/trentoncomputer...n-openvms.html

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    April 29, 2008

    NYC area April 29th Tuesday, 2008 Noon-2:30PM Encompass NY Metro
    Chapter meeting (NYMLUG).Exchange Place, Jersey City, NJ

    http://snipurl.com/lug0804a You may contact encompass (at)
    McCready.com if the above link does not work, or if you have
    questions.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    April 30, 2008

    NYC - Wednesday, April 30, 2008, New York City to register please send
    email to Nancy.davidson@hp.com - Oracle Database and Oracle Rdb on
    OpenVMS Technical Update

    May 1, 2008

    WASHINTON DC - Thursday, May 1st, Washington, DC - to register please
    send email to Nancy.davidson@hp.com - Oracle Database and Oracle Rdb
    on OpenVMS Technical Update

    Topics Covered

    Oracle Database and Oracle Rdb Business and Product Updates
    HP OpenVMS Technical Update
    Building the Oracle Rdb Native I64 JIT Code Generator
    Oracle Rdb I64 Large Systems Testing
    Oracle Rdb 7.3 New Features
    Performance of the Oracle Database on Itanium
    Oracle Database 10.2.0.4 and 11gR2 for OpenVMS

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    May 18-23 2008

    TIME SENSITIVE - OpenVMS Advanced Boot Camp - Join fellow VMS
    Technologists from 20 countries. Only 28 seats left for the Boot Camp
    http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/bootcamp and to check out the agenda
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/symposium/...08/agenda.html

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Experience the power of Virtualization: Integrated by Design
    seminars

    https://h30406.www3.hp.com/campaigns/2008/events/ibd-seminar/index.php?mcc=DGHY&dimid=%3cDI_MEMBER_ID/%3e&dicid=%3cDI_TRACKING_CODE/%3e&jumpid=em_sredm-r2548/us/apr08/ent/tsg/event/1-4muhx/mcc|dghy/registerlink/ITILwebcast

    May 06 Philadelphia, PA*

    May 08 - Boston, MA*

    May 13 - Washington, DC*

    May 15 - Jacksonville, FL*

    May 20 - Chicago, IL*

    May 22 - Dallas, TX

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    2.0 OpenVMS Technical Journal Call for participation - If you would
    like to do an article for the next technical journal (V12) now is the
    time to fill out the Call for Participation (CFP)
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/cfp.html Articles must be
    related to OpenVMS and technical in nature. There is not a word limit
    (you just can not convey a technical concept in 300 words). You are
    provided a .doc template. Articles will be due by June 16.

    Speaking of the OpenVMS Technical Journal, http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/index.html
    so far this year the Tech Journal has had over 12,300 views. From the
    feedback we have received many folks feel that the articles are a
    great way to learn about VMS and associated technologies. You can
    leave feedback and it is always welcome.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    3.0 Encompass

    HP Technical Forum in Las Vegas (HPTF)
    https://www.encompassus.org/events/Conference/

    Local User Groups
    https://www.encompassus.org/community/LUGs/manager/

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    4.0 Partners

    BRUDEN-OSSG Announces the Addition of "Think Link" and VHPT White
    Paper

    April 11, 2008
    The Think Link will get you to a page of technical articles and white
    papers of interest to the OpenVMS and UNIX communities.

    To launch the Think Link, Bruce Ellis has written a White Paper on how
    certain applications may gain 5-10+% performance gains by resizing the
    Virtual Hash Page Table on OpenVMS Integrity Server Systems.

    This is the first of many articles that BRUDEN-OSSG is publishing to
    serve the OpenVMS and UNIX technical communities.

    Another great source of OpenVMS related information you may wish to
    visit is OpenVMS.org

    Announcing CA(r) Performance Management for OpenVMS r3.1 Beta

    CA (r) Performance Management for OpenVMS r3.1 is now entering beta.
    You can sign up for the beta by using the following registration link
    (CA Support login is required):

    http://supportconnectw.ca.com/public...nvms31beta.asp

    This release of CA Performance Management brings all the new and
    exciting things we did in the first I64 release back to Alpha along
    with new features on both Alpha and I64.

    CA Performance Management for OpenVMS automatically collects and
    analyzes performance data from Alpha and HP Integrity servers,
    providing you with knowledge-based expert tuning advice, real-time
    monitoring and historical graphs and reports. It helps you identify
    potential performance problems and take remedial actions before the
    problems adversely impact your business. Highlights of its features
    are:

    * Real-time monitoring of OpenVMS performance metrics such as CPU
    utilization, disk I/O per second, hard fault rate, direct I/O, etc.

    * Expert performance tuning advice using a knowledge-base of tuning
    rules

    * Historical performance analysis reports, graphs and charts analyzing
    the collected data

    * Integration with CA Unicenter(R) Network and Systems Management
    System Performance Trend

    This release includes for Alpha the features previously added on I64:
    enhanced data collection for HP Integrity servers, new and enhanced
    performance tuning rules, reports and graphs, data collection and
    analysis of OpenVMS eXtended File Cache (XFC), support for a large
    number of disks (up to 4000 disks) and mixed architecture cluster
    support and the ability to analyze HP Integrity, Alpha and VAX servers
    from a single Performance Advisor.

    This new release also includes IPv6 support, additional data in
    Performance cubes, and extended graph support for more than six CPUs
    for a node.

    5.0 Sue's Fav's

    5.1 http://www.texmemsys.com/files/f000239.pdf - Newsletter from a
    company called Texas Memory Systems there is a great interview with a
    VMS customer that saw a 500% performance improvement using their
    product on Integrity.

    5.2 http://www.synergyde.com/news/CB_WorkbenchArticle.aspx This is
    from the Synergex web site and worth the read
    See how United Natural Foods is using Workbench in a multiplatform
    environment. United Natural Foods is the largest publicly traded
    wholesale distributor to the natural and organic foods industry.
    Carrying more than 40,000 products, the company supplies over 18,000
    customers nationwide and services a wide variety of retail formats,
    including super natural chains, independent natural products
    retailers, and conventional supermarkets.

    Technology
    The UNFI core business systems are written mainly in Synergy Language
    on an HP OpenVMS Alpha cluster. We have worked on leveraging our
    systems to provide value to both our internal and external customers
    using a combination of Synergy Language and other technologies. Until
    recently, like most developers working on OpenVMS, we did our
    development on the Alphas using EVE, TPU, or EDT, which have been the
    tools of choice for OpenVMS developers for many years. We have now,
    however, begun using Synergy/DE Professional Series Workbench. With
    existing developers, this was a bit of a culture shock, and it took a
    little while to win friends. But Workbench has now become our major
    development environment, primarily due to the productís tagging,
    keyword highlighting, and syntax expansion abilities.
    5.3 Keep a look out or listen for some of the boot camp speakers doing
    an audio cast about their sessions on www.openvms.org we did some
    tapes this week.

  2. Re: OpenVMS Update

    In article
    , Sue
    writes:

    > On a sad note, the VMS community lost a huge corner stone last week
    > when Dick Hustvedt passed away. He will be remember by us all with
    > much affection. Our thoughts are with Audrey and their sons at this
    > time of loss. Here is his son's blog
    > http://seedwatcher.typepad.com/seedw...ory-of-my.html

    For the few who don't know, Hustvedt had a huge influence on the design
    of VMS, more than others who are often given the credit. Unfortunately,
    he was incapacitated by an accident.

+ Reply to Thread