Re: 8.3 Alpha Upgrade Tips - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: 8.3 Alpha Upgrade Tips - VMS ; Jan-Erik wrote: >Mike wrote: > > > Rephrasing the original question, if you had a choice, would you > > upgrade 7.3 to 8.3 (possibly requiring an intermediate upgrade) or > > re-build live onto 8.3? > > That's highly ...

  1. Re: 8.3 Alpha Upgrade Tips

    Jan-Erik wrote:
    >Mike wrote:
    >
    > > Rephrasing the original question, if you had a choice, would you
    > > upgrade 7.3 to 8.3 (possibly requiring an intermediate upgrade) or
    > > re-build live onto 8.3?

    > That's highly dependent on what's on the sys-disk !

    One licenced app plus the usual gamut of freeware apps co-resident
    with the OS.

    > *I* would probably do two upgrades (if needed, and if
    > I had access to the medias needed).

    The hobbyist kits are thankfully now available.

    Rebuilding vs. updating. I guess though if the OS "jump" was big
    enough you'd rebuild?

    Would your choice be influenced by the wish to make the cold standby
    a little warmer?

  2. Re: 8.3 Alpha Upgrade Tips

    Mike wrote:

    > Jan-Erik wrote:
    >> Mike wrote:
    >>
    >> > Rephrasing the original question, if you had a choice, would you
    >> > upgrade 7.3 to 8.3 (possibly requiring an intermediate upgrade) or
    >> > re-build live onto 8.3?

    >> That's highly dependent on what's on the sys-disk !

    > One licenced app plus the usual gamut of freeware apps co-resident
    > with the OS.
    >
    >> *I* would probably do two upgrades (if needed, and if
    >> I had access to the medias needed).

    > The hobbyist kits are thankfully now available.
    >
    > Rebuilding vs. updating. I guess though if the OS "jump" was big
    > enough you'd rebuild?

    My choice whould be based on the work of doing two
    upgrades vs. the job to re-install the app and all
    freewares. The end result is the same. In most
    cases (with users registred in UAF, queues setup
    and so on) I'd go the upgrade route.

    Jan-Erik.

    > Would your choice be influenced by the wish to make the cold standby
    > a little warmer?

+ Reply to Thread