Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals - VMS

This is a discussion on Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals - VMS ; Sorry for repeating myself, but does anyone out there have a set of the VAX APL Manuals? Thanks for your time, Mark....

  1. Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals

    Sorry for repeating myself, but does anyone out there have a set of
    the VAX APL Manuals?

    Thanks for your time,

    Mark.

  2. Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals

    On Apr 26, 3:08 pm, urbancamo wrote:
    > Sorry for repeating myself, but does anyone out there have a set of
    > the VAX APL Manuals?
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    >
    > Mark.

    I certainly don't have hardcopy. Would they have ever been available
    on the CONDIST/CONDOC sets? If so any idea what timeframe? I do have
    some moderately old ones of those but stored offsite so I can't look
    at them now.

    Rich

  3. Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals

    Rich Jordan submitted this idea :
    > On Apr 26, 3:08 pm, urbancamo wrote:
    >> Sorry for repeating myself, but does anyone out there have a set of
    >> the VAX APL Manuals?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time,
    >>
    >> Mark.

    > I certainly don't have hardcopy. Would they have ever been available
    > on the CONDIST/CONDOC sets? If so any idea what timeframe? I do have
    > some moderately old ones of those but stored offsite so I can't look
    > at them now.
    >
    > Rich

    As far as I remember, VAX APL is a product that has been retired
    quite early, before Alpha, I would say around 1990 but I'm not sure.
    I'm almost sure it has never been published on CD at all. After product
    retirement, its sources have been donated to DECUS. May be the sources
    of the manuals followed the same way ?

    I have been a user of VAX APL since its field test (around 1980) and
    I still very well remember the LA120 teletypes that had a special eprom
    to display the specific character set of APL. I still have my APL 360
    manual and a few listings. Is that languqge still used today, can one
    still buy a specific keyboard ?

    --
    Marc Van Dyck

  4. Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals

    With thanks to the excellent people involved in scanning and posting
    the VAX APL manuals, I now have a working system

    However, this of course means I now have a tonne of questions...

    Something I can't figure out is how to get APL character overstriking
    to work (for example to produce the domino character, or combining 'o'
    and '*'). As far as I can tell the manual suggests in a DECWindows
    environment that using Ctrl-D between the two component characters
    will work, but it doesn't work. I've also tried the COMPOSE key to no
    avail.

    Marc: maybe you can shed some light? Maybe I'm missing something in
    the
    configuration.

    Anyone interested can see a screenshot at
    http://www.wickensonline.co.uk/publi...-apl-4.0-1.jpg.

    I also have a VT520 which when I startup VAX APL as a VT320 displays
    APL characters as mapped to the keyboard but I have the same problem
    in using overstrike.

    Oh, and as for the keyboard, well, if I can get APL working correctly
    I may just bite the bullet and buy a 2nd hand one (yes, some people
    still have the LK201 variant!)

    Thanks for the help,

    Mark.

  5. Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals

    Marc Van Dyck wrote:
    > Rich Jordan submitted this idea :
    >
    >> On Apr 26, 3:08 pm, urbancamo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sorry for repeating myself, but does anyone out there have a set of
    >>> the VAX APL Manuals?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your time,
    >>>
    >>> Mark.

    >> I certainly don't have hardcopy. Would they have ever been available
    >> on the CONDIST/CONDOC sets? If so any idea what timeframe? I do have
    >> some moderately old ones of those but stored offsite so I can't look
    >> at them now.
    >>
    >> Rich

    > As far as I remember, VAX APL is a product that has been retired
    > quite early, before Alpha, I would say around 1990 but I'm not sure.
    > I'm almost sure it has never been published on CD at all. After product
    > retirement, its sources have been donated to DECUS. May be the sources
    > of the manuals followed the same way ?

    Hey, guess what? I was cleaning out a box of old stuff and found a TK50
    marked as "VAX APL V4.0 Manuals in .PS format". The books are dated
    from 1991, the saveset and tape were created in 1995. The files came
    off the tape just fine (finding a TK70 drive was the fun part). I'll
    convert them into PDF with Acrobat. I'll try to get them stuck on the
    next freeware CD but in the meantime, if you want to send me some email
    I'll send them. I didn't find any SDML Document sources (or whatever
    they were written in), just the .PS files.

    --
    John Reagan
    OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32 Project Leader

  6. Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals

    In article , John Reagan writes:
    >Marc Van Dyck wrote:
    >> Rich Jordan submitted this idea :

    >>> I certainly don't have hardcopy. Would they have ever been available
    >>> on the CONDIST/CONDOC sets? If so any idea what timeframe? I do have
    >>> some moderately old ones of those but stored offsite so I can't look
    >>> at them now.
    >>>
    >>> Rich

    >> As far as I remember, VAX APL is a product that has been retired
    >> quite early, before Alpha, I would say around 1990 but I'm not sure.
    >> I'm almost sure it has never been published on CD at all. After product
    >> retirement, its sources have been donated to DECUS. May be the sources
    >> of the manuals followed the same way ?
    >>

    >Hey, guess what? I was cleaning out a box of old stuff and found a TK50
    >marked as "VAX APL V4.0 Manuals in .PS format". The books are dated
    >from 1991, the saveset and tape were created in 1995. The files came
    >off the tape just fine (finding a TK70 drive was the fun part). I'll
    >convert them into PDF with Acrobat. I'll try to get them stuck on the
    >next freeware CD but in the meantime, if you want to send me some email
    >I'll send them. I didn't find any SDML Document sources (or whatever
    >they were written in), just the .PS files.

    Can you put the .PS there too?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  7. Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article , John Reagan writes:
    >>off the tape just fine (finding a TK70 drive was the fun part). I'll
    >>convert them into PDF with Acrobat. I'll try to get them stuck on the
    >>next freeware CD but in the meantime, if you want to send me some email
    >>I'll send them. I didn't find any SDML Document sources (or whatever
    >>they were written in), just the .PS files.

    > Can you put the .PS there too?

    I can.

    --
    John Reagan
    OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32 Project Leader
    Hewlett-Packard Company

  8. Remembering APL-11 (WAS: Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals)

    If anyone should ever become interested enough in APL-11 I believe I
    have a hard copy of the last manual that was every published.

    I would be willing to make a copy and ship it (expenses to be paid by
    person requesting copy) if someone would like to have one.

    Just curious: Has anyone seen a copy of APL-11 media recently? Since
    APL-11 dates from so long ago, "recently" can be taken to mean within
    the last 10 or so years :-)

    I actually did some useful work with APL-11 way back in the early
    1980's. A mechanical engineering lab at Lockheed Sunnyvale was data
    matrices which needed various manipulations. I found a book in
    Lockheed's library (long since gone, I imagine) with many APL
    algorithms. The code they needed, primarily solutions and
    determinants, was there and could all be done in the somewhat limited
    -11 implementation of the language.

    The size of the source code was almost trivial, typical of APL. All
    the code I supplied them (written by others, tweaked by me) would have
    easily fit on one side of a 3 in. x 5 in. card, probably in 14 point
    type. Few were they who could actually read the code "cold" and
    understand it, though...

    The lab engineers were pretty impressed that APL could do so simply a
    job they expected to be much more challenging.

    The standard ASCII character set implementation of overstrikes in
    APL-11 made any code look pretty strange, but perhaps not any stranger
    than it would look with the full APL character set. I think we may
    have bought the APL character set for a DECwriter at one point.

    I even used to belong to the APL SIG.

  9. Re: Remembering APL-11 (WAS: Re: Any one out there have VAX APLManuals)

    > A mechanical engineering lab at Lockheed Sunnyvale was data
    > matrices which needed various manipulations. I found a book in

    Make that, was _getting_ data matrices.

    The data was being produced by a machine that scanned high speed
    camera footage for a white mark in the frame and spit out a stream of
    punched cards based on the timing. The white mark was on the propeller
    shaft of an Aquila RPV in static test, filmed as the engine started
    up, ran for a while, and shut back down. I vaguely remember they were
    doing some kind of modal analysis (whatever that means): the lab's
    name was "Modalab" anyway.

    This was all so long ago that the details have grown quite fuzzy. :-)

  10. Re: Remembering APL-11 (WAS: Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals)

    Galen wrote:

    > Just curious: Has anyone seen a copy of APL-11 media recently? Since
    > APL-11 dates from so long ago, "recently" can be taken to mean within
    > the last 10 or so years :-)

    $ search cd_contents.jan95 apl
    VAX, VAX ACMS, VAX APL, VAX BASIC, VAX BLISS-32, VAX C,
    VAX APL 4.0 020AA 5 [APL040]
    $

    It wasn't in 2004 and 2006 distribution.

    I have 2 APL manuals:

    APL An Interactive Approach
    Second Edition Revised Reprinting
    Leonard Gilman and Allen J. Rose Copyright 1974.

    APL: une approche pratique
    Maurice Dalois
    Gouvernemenmt du Québec, Ministère de l'Éducation, Service Informatque
    copyright 1980.

    The second book (in french) was far better than the first one as a
    learning tool. Better organised, better descriptions.

    APL was one of the IT courses offered by many CEGEPs in québec (CEGEP is
    2 years between high school and university). Most would dialup to
    Univesité de Montréal to get the APL stuff. Our school had 1 decwriter
    II and one VT-like terminal. This probably explains why the government
    sponsored the development of a french language book on APL.

    One of the big APL "timesharing" providers was Sharp based in Toronto
    Canada and was used heavily by insurance companies.

  11. Re: Remembering APL-11 (WAS: Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals)

    Galen wrote:

    > Just curious: Has anyone seen a copy of APL-11 media recently? Since
    > APL-11 dates from so long ago, "recently" can be taken to mean within
    > the last 10 or so years :-)

    In the same box I found the TK50 with the VAX APL manuals, I also found
    a set of RX01 floppies labelled:

    "AS-5454B-BC, APL-11 V2.0 RT"

    with a manufacturing date of 14-May-1980.

    I don't know if the "RT" means "RT-11" or "run-time" or something else.

    Needless to say, I don't have a system to read these on. Any suggestions?

    --
    John Reagan
    OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32 Project Leader
    Hewlett-Packard Company

  12. Re: Remembering APL-11 (WAS: Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals)

    In article , John Reagan writes:

    > In the same box I found the TK50 with the VAX APL manuals, I also found
    > a set of RX01 floppies labelled:
    >
    > "AS-5454B-BC, APL-11 V2.0 RT"
    >
    > with a manufacturing date of 14-May-1980.
    >
    > I don't know if the "RT" means "RT-11" or "run-time" or something else.
    >
    > Needless to say, I don't have a system to read these on. Any suggestions?

    Have you considered contacting the people at bitsavers to see if they
    are interested in including it among their archive ?

    Link:

    http://bitsavers.org/

    Simon.

    Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world

  13. Re: Remembering APL-11 (WAS: Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals)

    Simon Clubley wrote:

    > Have you considered contacting the people at bitsavers to see if they
    > are interested in including it among their archive ?
    >
    > Link:
    >
    > http://bitsavers.org/
    >
    > Simon.

    I've been in contact with Bitsavers folks in the past for older
    documentation but not for this.

    For bits, looking at http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp11 they seem
    to have dectape/rl01/rk05/various magtape/and some paper tape. I don't
    see any RX01 archives (not to say they wouldn't take it).

    I've looked over at trailing-edge as well and didn't see an obvious home.

    --
    John Reagan
    OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32 Project Leader
    Hewlett-Packard Company

  14. Re: Remembering APL-11 (WAS: Re: Any one out there have VAX APLManuals)

    I have a set of RX02's hooked up to a MicroVAX II that still work.
    I'll be happy to try reading the RX01's if you want to send them
    along.

    Bruce C.

    John Reagan wrote:
    > Simon Clubley wrote:
    >
    > > Have you considered contacting the people at bitsavers to see if they
    > > are interested in including it among their archive ?
    > >
    > > Link:
    > >
    > > http://bitsavers.org/
    > >
    > > Simon.
    > >

    > I've been in contact with Bitsavers folks in the past for older
    > documentation but not for this.
    >
    > For bits, looking at http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp11 they seem
    > to have dectape/rl01/rk05/various magtape/and some paper tape. I don't
    > see any RX01 archives (not to say they wouldn't take it).
    >
    > I've looked over at trailing-edge as well and didn't see an obvious home.
    >

    > --
    > John Reagan
    > OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32 Project Leader
    > Hewlett-Packard Company

  15. Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals

    I'm pretty sure that I still have a VAX APL manual, circa 1986, in a box in
    storage. If I do, I'll scan it to .pdf for you.

    Can't guarantee when I'll be able to check into this - perhaps next week.

    "John Reagan" wrote in message
    > Marc Van Dyck wrote:
    >> Rich Jordan submitted this idea :

    >>> I certainly don't have hardcopy. Would they have ever been available
    >>> on the CONDIST/CONDOC sets? If so any idea what timeframe? I do have
    >>> some moderately old ones of those but stored offsite so I can't look
    >>> at them now.
    >>>
    >>> Rich

    >> As far as I remember, VAX APL is a product that has been retired
    >> quite early, before Alpha, I would say around 1990 but I'm not sure.
    >> I'm almost sure it has never been published on CD at all. After product
    >> retirement, its sources have been donated to DECUS. May be the sources
    >> of the manuals followed the same way ?
    >>

    > Hey, guess what? I was cleaning out a box of old stuff and found a TK50
    > marked as "VAX APL V4.0 Manuals in .PS format". The books are dated from
    > 1991, the saveset and tape were created in 1995. The files came off the
    > tape just fine (finding a TK70 drive was the fun part). I'll convert them
    > into PDF with Acrobat. I'll try to get them stuck on the next freeware CD
    > but in the meantime, if you want to send me some email I'll send them. I
    > didn't find any SDML Document sources (or whatever they were written in),
    > just the .PS files.
    >
    > --
    > John Reagan
    > OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32 Project Leader
    > Hewlett-Packard Company

  16. Re: Remembering APL-11 (WAS: Re: Any one out there have VAX APL Manuals)

    In article ,
    John Reagan writes:
    > Galen wrote:
    >
    >> Just curious: Has anyone seen a copy of APL-11 media recently? Since
    >> APL-11 dates from so long ago, "recently" can be taken to mean within
    >> the last 10 or so years :-)
    >>

    > In the same box I found the TK50 with the VAX APL manuals, I also found
    > a set of RX01 floppies labelled:
    >
    > "AS-5454B-BC, APL-11 V2.0 RT"
    >
    > with a manufacturing date of 14-May-1980.
    >
    > I don't know if the "RT" means "RT-11" or "run-time" or something else.
    >
    > Needless to say, I don't have a system to read these on. Any suggestions?

    I can't do anything until I get back home in August but if no one has
    done anything with them by then I can definitely read them. Be interesting
    to see what's on them.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include