Re: Time synchronization - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Time synchronization - VMS ; From: Marc Van Dyck > DTSS set-up, I'm used to it. That sounds familiar. > That leaves only one difficulty, which > is writing the DTSS time provider. Our network uses two utility boxes > that get various time sources ...

  1. Re: Time synchronization

    From: Marc Van Dyck

    > DTSS set-up, I'm used to it.

    That sounds familiar.

    > That leaves only one difficulty, which
    > is writing the DTSS time provider. Our network uses two utility boxes
    > that get various time sources (Internet, GPS, radio) and provide NTP
    > and
    > SNTP time service. How do I bridge DTSS and that ? I have written in
    > the past a Pascal program that acted as a DTSS time provider, using
    > radio time stamps. Do I need to go this route again ?

    Have you looked into SYS$COMMON:[SYSHLP.EXAMPLES.DTSS]? Long ago, I
    did some minor clean-up on the NTP examples:

    http://antinode.org/dec/sw/dtss_ntp.html

    I haven't looked lately, so the example code may look better now than it
    did when I made my changes.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Time synchronization

    Steven M. Schweda wrote on 26/04/2008 :
    > From: Marc Van Dyck
    >
    >> DTSS set-up, I'm used to it.

    > That sounds familiar.
    >
    >> That leaves only one difficulty, which
    >> is writing the DTSS time provider. Our network uses two utility boxes
    >> that get various time sources (Internet, GPS, radio) and provide NTP
    >> and
    >> SNTP time service. How do I bridge DTSS and that ? I have written in
    >> the past a Pascal program that acted as a DTSS time provider, using
    >> radio time stamps. Do I need to go this route again ?

    > Have you looked into SYS$COMMON:[SYSHLP.EXAMPLES.DTSS]? Long ago, I
    > did some minor clean-up on the NTP examples:
    >
    > http://antinode.org/dec/sw/dtss_ntp.html
    >
    > I haven't looked lately, so the example code may look better now than it
    > did when I made my changes.

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    This is where I took inspiration to write my DTSS time provider
    program.
    There are places where I just did copy/translate (as I write in Pascal
    while all examples are in C) without actually understanding everything.
    A more extended documentation on all this would be interesting, in fact
    it would made a very good subject for a paper in the technical journal,
    or a Bootcamp session...

    --
    Marc Van Dyck

+ Reply to Thread