EVA and Alpha Server 4100 - VMS

This is a discussion on EVA and Alpha Server 4100 - VMS ; I am looking into getting an EVA based disk system to attach to my VMS cluster. The hitch is that my Alphas are AS4100 and I am NOT in a position to upgrade or change my Alphas and the 4100's ...

  1. EVA and Alpha Server 4100

    I am looking into getting an EVA based disk system to attach to my VMS
    cluster. The hitch is that my Alphas are AS4100 and I am NOT in a
    position to upgrade or change my Alphas and the 4100's have not been
    qualified with any of the remotely current EVA equipment. I was
    wondering if anyone out there had any VMS based AS4100 or similar
    models connected in any way to any EVA systems. If so, what
    combinations?

    I hope to end up with 2 AS4100 with VMS 7.3-2 connected to an EVA 4100
    or 4400. I also have an AS1000 that I would connect if I can, but if
    I need to I can use MSCP for that.

    TIA

    Thomas Wirt
    Director of IS
    Kittle's Home Furnishings
    Indianapolis, IN, USA

  2. Re: EVA and Alpha Server 4100

    twnews@kittles.com wrote:
    > I am looking into getting an EVA based disk system to attach to my VMS
    > cluster. The hitch is that my Alphas are AS4100 and I am NOT in a
    > position to upgrade or change my Alphas and the 4100's have not been
    > qualified with any of the remotely current EVA equipment. I was
    > wondering if anyone out there had any VMS based AS4100 or similar
    > models connected in any way to any EVA systems. If so, what
    > combinations?
    >
    > I hope to end up with 2 AS4100 with VMS 7.3-2 connected to an EVA 4100
    > or 4400. I also have an AS1000 that I would connect if I can, but if
    > I need to I can use MSCP for that.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Thomas Wirt
    > Director of IS
    > Kittle's Home Furnishings
    > Indianapolis, IN, USA

    You can install a Fibre Channel Adapter (KGPSA-CA)in your AS4100 and
    connect it through a SAN switch to your EVA4x00. With VMS 7.3-2 it is
    supported.

    If you don't need to boot from the EVA, you can also install a KGPSA
    Adapter in your AS1000 also. Then you can share the EVA with all your
    VMS machines.

    If you need more information how to do it, you can post a question or
    contact me privately.

    Best Regards,

    Kari Uusimäki
    OpenVMS CSE

  3. Re: EVA and Alpha Server 4100

    On Apr 25, 2:38 pm, twn...@kittles.com wrote:
    > I am looking into getting an EVA based disk system to attach to my VMS
    > cluster. The hitch is that my Alphas are AS4100 and I am NOT in a
    > position to upgrade or change my Alphas and the 4100's have not been
    > qualified with any of the remotely current EVA equipment. I was
    > wondering if anyone out there had any VMS based AS4100 or similar
    > models connected in any way to any EVA systems. If so, what
    > combinations?

    I have run V7.3-2 AS4100 systems off of an EVA - I booted off the EVAs
    as well. This is a fully supported configuration. Although my entire
    cluster has no 4100s any more, it's still running V7.3-2. My cluster
    uptime is coming up to 9 years.

    The things you have watch out for is to make sure you have the latest
    patches for 7.3-2 - install a recent UPDATE kit (I think 15 is current
    but I'm too lazy to look that up right now) and you'll be set. Make
    sure your firmware on the Alphas is reasonably current. It is a bit
    of a pain to get the firmware on the HBAs updated but they don't
    change often. Your only choice of supported HBAs is the KGPSA and
    they're essentially rebranded Emulex LP8000s so I think the most
    recent firmware is something like 3.93. I've used EVA5000s for my
    storage (active/passive) but also have EVA8000-based storage (active/
    active) for another VMS 7.3-2 system (a DS10 that also SAN boots).

    Download the wwidmgr guide - you'll need this to configure the AS4100
    if you're booting from the SAN.

    For booting off the EVAs, you're limited to 4 paths - enough for an
    EVA5000 but not for an EVA8000. If you can't get to your storage
    after 4 paths though, you have some serious problems :-)

    Also, you can MSCP-server your SAN volumes. If you lose your HBAs in
    the host, make sure you've got a way of detecting that you're
    accessing your storage over MSCP and not over the SAN. It works so
    well that you might not even notice...

    Lastly, on the EVA side, configure the darn host "OS Unit ID:" in the
    presentation tab. It's easy to forget since most system don't need it
    and you'll pull your hair out trying to figure out why VMS doesn't see
    your shiny new lun. VMS does need it and the OS Unit ID becomes the
    number for your DGA device.

    Holler if you've got questions - it's generally straightforward though
    and it works well.

    Remember that fibre channel is not used for lock traffic though - you
    still need the nics.

    --
    Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
    mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org

    If I've helped you, please make a donation to my favorite charity at
    http://firstgiving.com/edwilts

  4. Re: EVA and Alpha Server 4100

    Kari Uusimäki wrote:

    > twnews@kittles.com wrote:
    > > I am looking into getting an EVA based disk system to attach to my VMS
    > > cluster. The hitch is that my Alphas are AS4100 and I am NOT in a
    > > position to upgrade or change my Alphas and the 4100's have not been
    > > qualified with any of the remotely current EVA equipment. I was
    > > wondering if anyone out there had any VMS based AS4100 or similar
    > > models connected in any way to any EVA systems. If so, what
    > > combinations?
    > >
    > > I hope to end up with 2 AS4100 with VMS 7.3-2 connected to an EVA 4100
    > > or 4400. I also have an AS1000 that I would connect if I can, but if
    > > I need to I can use MSCP for that.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Thomas Wirt
    > > Director of IS
    > > Kittle's Home Furnishings
    > > Indianapolis, IN, USA

    > You can install a Fibre Channel Adapter (KGPSA-CA)in your AS4100 and
    > connect it through a SAN switch to your EVA4x00. With VMS 7.3-2 it is
    > supported.

    Hhmmm... Interesting. I didn't know AS4100 supported ANY FC HBAs at all!

    Good to know...

    D.J.D.

  5. Re: EVA and Alpha Server 4100

    On Apr 25, 3:38 pm, twn...@kittles.com wrote:
    > I am looking into getting an EVA based disk system to attach to my VMS
    > cluster. The hitch is that my Alphas are AS4100 and I am NOT in a
    > position to upgrade or change my Alphas and the 4100's have not been
    > qualified with any of the remotely current EVA equipment. I was
    > wondering if anyone out there had any VMS based AS4100 or similar
    > models connected in any way to any EVA systems. If so, what
    > combinations?
    >
    > I hope to end up with 2 AS4100 with VMS 7.3-2 connected to an EVA 4100
    > or 4400. I also have an AS1000 that I would connect if I can, but if
    > I need to I can use MSCP for that.

    Thanks Kari and Ed. It is a great help to know that someone has
    already done this config or something really close. I appreciate the

    Thomas Wirt
    Director of IS
    Kittle's Home Furnishings
    Indianapolis, IN, USA