i64 automatic reboot - VMS

This is a discussion on i64 automatic reboot - VMS ; On Alpha I use SRM variable AUTOACTION = HALT, yet I can force automatic reboot via SYSMAN> shutdown node/automatic_reboot. However, I cannot do this on I64 (rx2620). Even if I issue SYSMAN> shutdown node/automatic_reboot I'm still stopped at the boot ...

  1. i64 automatic reboot

    On Alpha I use SRM variable AUTOACTION = HALT, yet
    I can force automatic reboot via
    SYSMAN> shutdown node/automatic_reboot.

    However, I cannot do this on I64 (rx2620). Even if I issue
    SYSMAN> shutdown node/automatic_reboot
    I'm still stopped at the boot menu and have to go
    via MP each time to reboot my I64.

    I had a look at VMS FAQ (sec 14.3.5.1 What are I64 IPB
    boot flag values?) and rx2620 user and install manuals in
    sections Booting VMS but cannot see any way of setting the
    boot flags for automatic reboot.

    Ideally I want something similar to "autoaction=halt"
    that can be overstepped by e.g. the above sysman
    command. So I'd like to have halt as a default, but
    to be able to force automatic reboot when required.

    many thanks
    anton

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building

  2. Re: i64 automatic reboot

    On Apr 25, 8:49*am, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
    > On Alpha I use SRM variable AUTOACTION = HALT, yet
    > I can force automatic reboot via
    > * * * * SYSMAN> shutdown node/automatic_reboot.
    >
    > However, I cannot do this on I64 (rx2620). Even if I issue
    > * * * * SYSMAN> shutdown node/automatic_reboot
    > I'm still stopped at the boot menu and have to go
    > via MP each time to reboot my I64.
    >
    > I had a look at VMS FAQ (sec 14.3.5.1 What are I64 IPB
    > boot flag values?) and rx2620 user and install manuals in
    > sections Booting VMS but cannot see any way of setting the
    > boot flags for automatic reboot.
    >
    > Ideally I want something similar to "autoaction=halt"
    > that can be overstepped by e.g. the above sysman
    > command. So I'd like to have halt as a default, but
    > to be able to force automatic reboot when required.
    >
    > many thanks
    > anton
    >
    > --
    > Anton Shterenlikht
    > Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    > Mech Eng Dept
    > Bristol University
    > University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    > Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    > Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

    Anton,

    there is some information regarding this in;

    http://docs.hp.com/en/BA322-90077/apas05.html

    Dave

  3. Re: i64 automatic reboot

    On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 06:55:17AM -0700, BaxterD@tessco.com wrote:
    > On Apr 25, 8:49*am, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
    > > On Alpha I use SRM variable AUTOACTION = HALT, yet
    > > I can force automatic reboot via
    > > * * * * SYSMAN> shutdown node/automatic_reboot.
    > >
    > > However, I cannot do this on I64 (rx2620). Even if I issue
    > > * * * * SYSMAN> shutdown node/automatic_reboot
    > > I'm still stopped at the boot menu and have to go
    > > via MP each time to reboot my I64.
    > >
    > > I had a look at VMS FAQ (sec 14.3.5.1 What are I64 IPB
    > > boot flag values?) and rx2620 user and install manuals in
    > > sections Booting VMS but cannot see any way of setting the
    > > boot flags for automatic reboot.
    > >
    > > Ideally I want something similar to "autoaction=halt"
    > > that can be overstepped by e.g. the above sysman
    > > command. So I'd like to have halt as a default, but
    > > to be able to force automatic reboot when required.

    > Anton,
    >
    > there is some information regarding this in;
    >
    > http://docs.hp.com/en/BA322-90077/apas05.html

    Dave thanks

    I actually have this manual in print, forgot to check there.
    According to the manual, it should auto boot after 10 sec.
    I guess I never actually gave it 10 sec, will check next time.

    thank you
    anton

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht