can a rms string index be non-case sensitive - VMS

This is a discussion on can a rms string index be non-case sensitive - VMS ; Is there a combo of RMS record options that will cause an index of string type to be non case sensitive?...

  1. can a rms string index be non-case sensitive

    Is there a combo of RMS record options that will cause an index of
    string type to be non case sensitive?

  2. Re: can a rms string index be non-case sensitive

    On Apr 24, 11:48*pm, kczwei wrote:
    > Is there a combo of RMS record options that will cause an index of
    > string type to be non case sensitive?

    YES, but you would have to set up a collating sequence key.
    I don't think I've seen anyone actually do that in the past 15 year.
    In the XABKEY (or FDL) you would use DTP = COL or DTP = DCOL

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FIN...lating_keys_ex
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FIN...toc_chapter_16
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FIN..._util_routines

    The NCS manual has explicit manuals hot to fold uppercase and
    lowercase as well as diacriticals
    Search for: MY_CONVERSION = MCS_NODIACRITICALS * MCS_LOWER;
    in: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73fina...S_NCS_UTIL.pdf

    Normally RMS is entirely blind to the characters
    it treats each as a simple 8-bit unsigned char.

    What problem are you really trying to solve.
    NCS is a somewhat big hammer.
    Maybe it is easier to solve at the application level, storing a (copy
    of) a key field in uppercase or lowercase.

    hth,
    Hein.

  3. Re: can a rms string index be non-case sensitive

    In article
    <9b616839-cb48-4d09-be63-8363940b6937@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
    Hein RMS van den Heuvel wrote:

    > On Apr 24, 11:48*pm, kczwei wrote:
    > > Is there a combo of RMS record options that will cause an index of
    > > string type to be non case sensitive?

    > YES, but you would have to set up a collating sequence key.
    > I don't think I've seen anyone actually do that in the past 15 year.
    > In the XABKEY (or FDL) you would use DTP = COL or DTP = DCOL
    >
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FIN...s_collating_ke
    > ys_ex
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FIN....html#toc_chap
    > ter_16
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FIN..._util_routines
    >
    > The NCS manual has explicit manuals hot to fold uppercase and
    > lowercase as well as diacriticals
    > Search for: MY_CONVERSION = MCS_NODIACRITICALS * MCS_LOWER;
    > in: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73fina...S_NCS_UTIL.pdf
    >
    > Normally RMS is entirely blind to the characters
    > it treats each as a simple 8-bit unsigned char.
    >
    > What problem are you really trying to solve.
    > NCS is a somewhat big hammer.
    > Maybe it is easier to solve at the application level, storing a (copy
    > of) a key field in uppercase or lowercase.

    The option of storing an all uppercase or all lowercase copy of the key
    is what I did many years ago, even when disk space was quite expensive.
    Simple to maintain as well.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks: