MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME - VMS

This is a discussion on MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME - VMS ; Why does $ mcr sys$system:sysman do show time %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node OKAPI 23-APR-2008 10:38:14 $ brings me to DCL prompt again, but $ mcr sys$system:sysman set env/cluster %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment: Clusterwide on local cluster Username SYSTEM will ...

  1. MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME

    $

    brings me to DCL prompt again, but

    $ mcr sys$system:sysman set env/cluster
    %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment:
    Clusterwide on local cluster
    Username SYSTEM will be used on nonlocal nodes

    SYSMAN>

    doesn't exit SYSMAN?

    How can I use MCR to SHOW TIME on all cluster nodes?
    This command doesn't give me that:

    $ pipe mcr sys$system:sysman set env/cluster|mcr sys$system:sysman do show time

    SYSMAN>
    %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node OKAPI
    23-APR-2008 10:44:41
    $

    many thanks
    anton

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building

  2. Re: MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME

    In article <20080423094826.GB85906@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:
    > Why does
    >
    >$ mcr sys$system:sysman do show time
    >%SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node OKAPI
    > 23-APR-2008 10:38:14
    >$
    >
    > brings me to DCL prompt again, but
    >
    >$ mcr sys$system:sysman set env/cluster
    >%SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment:
    > Clusterwide on local cluster
    > Username SYSTEM will be used on nonlocal nodes
    >
    >SYSMAN>
    >
    > doesn't exit SYSMAN?
    >

    >How can I use MCR to SHOW TIME on all cluster nodes?
    >This command doesn't give me that:
    >
    >$ pipe mcr sys$system:sysman set env/cluster|mcr sys$system:sysman do show time
    >
    >SYSMAN>
    >%SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node OKAPI
    > 23-APR-2008 10:44:41
    >$

    $ MCR SYSMAN
    SYSMAN> set env/cluster
    %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment:
    Clusterwide on local cluster
    Username SYSTEM will be used on nonlocal nodes

    SYSMAN> do show time
    %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node SSRL
    23-APR-2008 03:03:58
    %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node SSRP
    23-APR-2008 03:03:58
    %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node SSRL04
    23-APR-2008 03:04:09
    %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node SSRL1
    23-APR-2008 03:03:59
    SYSMAN>EXIT
    $
    $ create temp.txt
    set env/cluster
    do show time
    exit
    ^Z
    $ MC SYSMAN @TEMP.TXT

    (same results, slightly later times).

    Hope this helps!

    -- Alan

    >--
    >Anton Shterenlikht
    >Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    >Mech Eng Dept
    >Bristol University
    >University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    >Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    >Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

  3. Re: MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME

    How about the following
    $ PIPE WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "CONF SHOW TIME" | MCR SYSMAN SET ENV/CLUSTER

  4. Re: MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME

    On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:06:39AM +0000, Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing wrote:
    > $
    > $ create temp.txt
    > set env/cluster
    > do show time
    > exit
    > ^Z
    > $ MC SYSMAN @TEMP.TXT
    >
    > (same results, slightly later times).

    Alan, thank you, that works fine.

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    Mech Eng Dept
    Bristol University
    University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

  5. Re: MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME

    On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 03:25:23AM -0700, IanMiller wrote:
    > How about the following
    > $ PIPE WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "CONF SHOW TIME" | MCR SYSMAN SET ENV/CLUSTER

    Ian, that's better, thanks.

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    Mech Eng Dept
    Bristol University
    University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

  6. Re: MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME

    And how about:

    $ SHOW SYSTEM/CLUSTER/NOPROCESS

    :-)

    Bart Zorn

    On Apr 23, 1:29 pm, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
    > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 03:25:23AM -0700, IanMiller wrote:
    > > How about the following
    > > $ PIPE WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "CONF SHOW TIME" | MCR SYSMAN SET ENV/CLUSTER

    > Ian, that's better, thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Anton Shterenlikht
    > Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    > Mech Eng Dept
    > Bristol University
    > University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    > Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    > Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

  7. Re: MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME

    On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 06:15:03AM -0700, Bart.Zorn@gmail.com wrote:
    > And how about:
    >
    > $ SHOW SYSTEM/CLUSTER/NOPROCESS

    very good!

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    Mech Eng Dept
    Bristol University
    University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

  8. Re: MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME

    Bart.Zorn@gmail.com wrote:
    > And how about:
    >
    > $ SHOW SYSTEM/CLUSTER/NOPROCESS

    Actually that one is interesting. The time displayed is not the time on
    the remote machine but just the local time on the machine doing the
    display. Ever notice that the times are all almost identical but
    slightly increasing?

    I don't remember if something was going to be changed to get the remote
    system's time and display it.

    --
    John Reagan
    OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32/COBOL Project Leader

  9. Re: MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME

    On Apr 23, 3:06 am, wins...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston -
    SSRL Central Computing) wrote:
    [...]
    > $ create temp.txt
    > set env/cluster
    > do show time
    > exit
    > ^Z
    > $ MC SYSMAN @TEMP.TXT
    >
    > (same results, slightly later times).
    >
    > Hope this helps!

    A variation on this theme that could be more flexible is
    to use a SYSMANINI file. For example:

    $ Create Set_Env.Smn
    Set Environment/Cluster
    ^Z
    $
    $ Define/User Sysmanini Set_Env.Smn
    $ Mcr Sysman do show logical sys$sysdevice
    %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment:
    Clusterwide on local cluster
    Username SYSKHF will be used on nonlocal nodes

    %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node NODE1
    "SYS$SYSDEVICE" = "DSA0:" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
    %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node NODE2
    "SYS$SYSDEVICE" = "DSA0:" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
    %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node NODE3
    "SYS$SYSDEVICE" = "DSA0:" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
    %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node NODE4
    "SYS$SYSDEVICE" = "DSA0:" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
    $

    Note that I used Define/User since I didn't want to keep
    SYSMANINI as a persistent definition. But defined in
    the process table of a batch job, or if you do most of
    your sysman commands clusterwide, defined in your
    LOGIN.COM, gives a quick way to do ad hoc sysman
    commands:

    $ Define Sysmanini Sys$Login:Set_Env.Smn
    $ sysman == "$Sysman"

    -Ken

  10. Re: MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME

    Shterenlikht writes:

    > Why does
    >
    > $ mcr sys$system:sysman do show time
    > %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node OKAPI
    > 23-APR-2008 10:38:14
    > $
    >
    > brings me to DCL prompt again, but
    >
    > $ mcr sys$system:sysman set env/cluster
    > %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment:
    > Clusterwide on local cluster
    > Username SYSTEM will be used on nonlocal nodes
    >
    > SYSMAN>
    >
    > doesn't exit SYSMAN?

    Because it makes no sense to exit immediately after setting the
    environment?

    > How can I use MCR to SHOW TIME on all cluster nodes?

    SYSMAN> CONFIGURATION SHOW TIME

  11. Re: MCR clusterwide SHOW TIME

    Hmm... I did not know that.

    I did notice that the times are almost identical but slightly
    increasing, but that is what I would expect in a cluster with DTSS
    running properly.

    Regards,

    Bart

    On Apr 23, 4:39 pm, John Reagan wrote:
    > Bart.Z...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > And how about:

    > > $ SHOW SYSTEM/CLUSTER/NOPROCESS

    > Actually that one is interesting. The time displayed is not the time on
    > the remote machine but just the local time on the machine doing the
    > display. Ever notice that the times are all almost identical but
    > slightly increasing?
    >
    > I don't remember if something was going to be changed to get the remote
    > system's time and display it.
    >
    > --
    > John Reagan
    > OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32/COBOL Project Leader
    > Hewlett-Packard Company

+ Reply to Thread