The MBM> prompt is what?? How do I exit?? - VMS

This is a discussion on The MBM> prompt is what?? How do I exit?? - VMS ; On Apr 21, 10:17 am, BEGINcornel...@decuserve.orgEND (George Cornelius) wrote: > I guess I know that the MBM> prompt is some hardware level management tool, > and I know that you about have to stand on your head to get into ...

  1. Re: The MBM> prompt is what?? How do I exit??

    Cornelius) wrote:
    > I guess I know that the MBM> prompt is some hardware level management tool,
    > and I know that you about have to stand on your head to get into it.
    >
    > The problem is, I have a serious need to get into the system console and
    > another system administrator left this blasted thing running. How do I
    > get out of it??

    [...]

    It's easier than you think. :-)

    First find out what partitions you have (hopefully the partitions
    are named the same as your nodes):

    MBM> show part

    Then, connect to the partition you want to access:

    MBM> connect -hp

    There is HELP at the MBM> prompt, btw, but the thing
    I missed the first time I wanted to connect to a "system
    console" was the need for the "-hp" switch.

    -Ken

  2. The MBM> prompt is what?? How do I exit??

    --
    George Cornelius cornelius A T eisner D O T decus D O T org

    From my console system:

    10:59:55 MBM>
    10:59:55 MBM> help
    10:59:57 NAME
    10:59:57 help
    10:59:57 FUNCTION
    10:59:57 Display information about CLI commands.
    10:59:57 SYNOPSIS
    10:59:57 help [, *]
    10:59:57 Command synopsis conventions:
    10:59:57 Implies a placeholder for user specified item.
    10:59:57 ... Implies an item or list of items.
    10:59:57 [] Implies optional keyword or item.
    10:59:57 {a,b,c} Implies any one of a, b, c.
    10:59:57 {a|b|c} Implies any combination of a, b, c.
    10:59:57
    10:59:57 The following help topics are available:
    10:59:57
    10:59:57 assign component assign memory bootline build fru
    10:59:57 clear clear display clear error clear log
    10:59:57 clear port clear srmenv config cables connect
    10:59:58 create partition d delete partition deposit
    10:59:58 disable test e el enable tes
    10:59:58 examine halt in halt out hangup
    10:59:58 help locate logout modify par
    10:59:58 power off power on reset save parti
    10:59:58 set set escape set membership set sys_se
    10:59:58 set time show show cables show duo
    10:59:58 show error show fru show grid show log
    10:59:58 show membership show memory show network show parti
    10:59:58 show power show system show sys_serial_num show time
    10:59:58 show version telnet test test led
    10:59:58 update uptime
    10:59:59 MBM>
    11:00:00 MBM>
    11:00:01 MBM>
    11:00:01 MBM> logout
    11:00:12 MBM>
    11:00:13 MBM>
    11:00:13 MBM>

  3. Re: The MBM> prompt is what?? How do I exit??

    In article <1otP1vNyPmKg@eisner.encompasserve.org>, BEGINcornelius@decuserve.orgEND (George Cornelius) writes:
    > I guess I know that the MBM> prompt is some hardware level management tool,
    > and I know that you about have to stand on your head to get into it.
    >
    > The problem is, I have a serious need to get into the system console and
    > another system administrator left this blasted thing running. How do I
    > get out of it??

    To answer my own question:

    I don't _want_ to get out of it. It apparently _is_ the console
    subsystem on my ES47.

    I typed connect and wound up on the VMS console.

    Of course, I lost two days' of console messages, but what the heck...

    Nobody should even need console messages these days, right?

    --
    George Cornelius cornelius A T eisner D O T decus D O T org

  4. Re: The MBM> prompt is what?? How do I exit??

    George Cornelius wrote:
    > In article <1otP1vNyPmKg@eisner.encompasserve.org>, BEGINcornelius@decuserve.orgEND (George Cornelius) writes:
    >> I guess I know that the MBM> prompt is some hardware level management tool,
    >> and I know that you about have to stand on your head to get into it.
    >>
    >> The problem is, I have a serious need to get into the system console and
    >> another system administrator left this blasted thing running. How do I
    >> get out of it??

    > To answer my own question:
    >
    > I don't _want_ to get out of it. It apparently _is_ the console
    > subsystem on my ES47.
    >
    > I typed connect and wound up on the VMS console.
    >
    > Of course, I lost two days' of console messages, but what the heck...
    >
    > Nobody should even need console messages these days, right?

    If nobody has fixed the tendency I noticed years ago, to issue a console
    message every sixty seconds to tell you that the printer is off line,
    you probably have not missed much!

  5. Re: The MBM> prompt is what?? How do I exit??

    "George Cornelius" wrote in message
    > In article <1otP1vNyPmKg@eisner.encompasserve.org>,
    > BEGINcornelius@decuserve.orgEND (George Cornelius) writes:
    >> I guess I know that the MBM> prompt is some hardware level management
    >> tool,
    >> and I know that you about have to stand on your head to get into it.
    >>
    >> The problem is, I have a serious need to get into the system console and
    >> another system administrator left this blasted thing running. How do I
    >> get out of it??

    > To answer my own question:
    >
    > I don't _want_ to get out of it. It apparently _is_ the console
    > subsystem on my ES47.
    >
    > I typed connect and wound up on the VMS console.
    >
    > Of course, I lost two days' of console messages, but what the heck...
    >
    > Nobody should even need console messages these days, right?
    >
    > --
    > George Cornelius cornelius A T eisner D O T decus D O T org

    Setting SRM_AUTO_CONNECT to ON should automatically connect you to the VMS
    console on boot once the diagnostics are finished.

    -Jeff

  6. Re: The MBM> prompt is what?? How do I exit??

    In article , "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    > George Cornelius wrote:

    >> Nobody should even need console messages these days, right?

    > If nobody has fixed the tendency I noticed years ago, to issue a console
    > message every sixty seconds to tell you that the printer is off line,
    > you probably have not missed much!

    We still get some of those - from the telnet symbiont - not to mention
    hundreds of telnet login/logout messages.

    But in this case, we missed an entire reboot sequence, when the system
    hung for some unknown reason in a shadow set mount and my coworker
    decided to abort the boot that was underway rather than keep fighting
    with it.

    It would have been worthwhile to have the messages, since a VMS license
    issue cropped up today and I needed to know why one particular license,
    OPENVMS-ALPHA-USER, did not load.

    And without a user level license you can only log in at the console.

    You get the picture.

    Oh well, at least I had SYSMAN.

    --
    George Cornelius cornelius A T eisner D O T decus D O T org

  7. Re: The MBM> prompt is what?? How do I exit??

    Jeff Goodwin wrote:

    > "George Cornelius" wrote in message
    > > In article <1otP1vNyPmKg@eisner.encompasserve.org>,
    > > BEGINcornelius@decuserve.orgEND (George Cornelius) writes:
    > >> I guess I know that the MBM> prompt is some hardware level management
    > >> tool,
    > >> and I know that you about have to stand on your head to get into it.
    > >>
    > >> The problem is, I have a serious need to get into the system console and
    > >> another system administrator left this blasted thing running. How do I
    > >> get out of it??

    > > To answer my own question:
    > >
    > > I don't _want_ to get out of it. It apparently _is_ the console
    > > subsystem on my ES47.
    > >
    > > I typed connect and wound up on the VMS console.
    > >
    > > Of course, I lost two days' of console messages, but what the heck...
    > >
    > > Nobody should even need console messages these days, right?
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Cornelius cornelius A T eisner D O T decus D O T org

    > Setting SRM_AUTO_CONNECT to ON should automatically connect you to the VMS
    > console on boot once the diagnostics are finished.

    Not sure I'd want to recommend that, though.

    On my primary site (GS1280s), Oracle spits out so many spurious
    messages, that I've found it useful to leave the MBM on the serial port,
    and then Telnet into the thing again and CONNECT to the SRM console from
    there.

    Before I did that, we were getting hundreds of device timeouts a day on
    the serial console port (OPA0 because 9600 baud just isn't fast enough
    to keep up with all the stuff that Oracle spits out via OPCOM, on top of
    all the other messages.

    David J Dachtera
    (formerly dba) DJE Systems

+ Reply to Thread