multi-process writing to TLB - VMS

This is a discussion on multi-process writing to TLB - VMS ; May two distinct processes attempt to replace/add/update different modules in the same text library at the same time? In other words, may two processes running on the same node at the same time issue the following commands and expect the ...

  1. multi-process writing to TLB

    May two distinct processes attempt to replace/add/update different
    modules in the same text library at the same time?

    In other words, may two processes running on the same node at the same
    time issue the following commands and expect the text library to be
    well formed at the completion?

    $proc1] lib/text/replace text.tlb module1
    $proc2] lib/text/replace text.tlb module2

    Thanks,

    josh

  2. Re: multi-process writing to TLB

    On Apr 21, 8:16 am, Joshua Lehrer wrote:
    > May two distinct processes attempt to replace/add/update different
    > modules in the same text library at the same time?
    >
    > In other words, may two processes running on the same node at the same
    > time issue the following commands and expect the text library to be
    > well formed at the completion?
    >
    > $proc1] lib/text/replace text.tlb module1
    > $proc2] lib/text/replace text.tlb module2

    Based on very old memories (not terribly reliable!) of product
    installations, etc., I believe the answer is "no". If you're doing
    this in a command procedure, you'll want to code a small
    wait-loop around the update in case one or another of the
    processes gets an error...

    -Ken

+ Reply to Thread