TL892 (two TZ89s) one "In-Flex" - VMS

This is a discussion on TL892 (two TZ89s) one "In-Flex" - VMS ; Hi. What does the "In-Flex" message mean on the TL892 tape library ? The tape library uses SCSI-HVD and has two TZ89s. Drive 0: Idle Drive 1: In-Flex Loader: Idle 0*****-*****9...

  1. TL892 (two TZ89s) one "In-Flex"

    Hi.

    What does the "In-Flex" message mean on the TL892 tape library ?

    The tape library uses SCSI-HVD and has two TZ89s.

    Drive 0: Idle
    Drive 1: In-Flex
    Loader: Idle

    0*****-*****9

  2. Re: TL892 (two TZ89s) one "In-Flex"

    It means Call Field Service.and get the drive replaced.

    WWWebb

    On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Muddflapp Mohican wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > What does the "In-Flex" message mean on the TL892 tape library ?
    >
    > The tape library uses SCSI-HVD and has two TZ89s.
    >
    > Drive 0: Idle
    > Drive 1: In-Flex
    > Loader: Idle
    >
    > 0*****-*****9

  3. Re: TL892 (two TZ89s) one "In-Flex"

    William Webb wrote:
    > It means Call Field Service.and get the drive replaced.
    >
    > WWWebb
    >
    > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Muddflapp Mohican wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> What does the "In-Flex" message mean on the TL892 tape library ?
    >>
    >> The tape library uses SCSI-HVD and has two TZ89s.
    >>
    >> Drive 0: Idle
    >> Drive 1: In-Flex
    >> Loader: Idle
    >>
    >> 0*****-*****9

    I'd recommend replacing the guy who wrote the drive's firmware!
    "In-Flex" is meaningless noise to 99.99999% of VMS people. I worked
    with a number of different DLT drives and even a tape library (briefly)
    and never encountered this string.

  4. Re: TL892 (two TZ89s) one "In-Flex"

    On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Richard B. Gilbert
    wrote:

    > William Webb wrote:
    >
    > > It means Call Field Service.and get the drive replaced.
    > >
    > > WWWebb
    > >
    > > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Muddflapp Mohican

    > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi.
    > > >
    > > > What does the "In-Flex" message mean on the TL892 tape library ?
    > > >
    > > > The tape library uses SCSI-HVD and has two TZ89s.
    > > >
    > > > Drive 0: Idle
    > > > Drive 1: In-Flex
    > > > Loader: Idle
    > > >
    > > > 0*****-*****9
    > > >

    > I'd recommend replacing the guy who wrote the drive's firmware! "In-Flex"
    > is meaningless noise to 99.99999% of VMS people. I worked with a number of
    > different DLT drives and even a tape library (briefly) and never encountered
    > this string.

    I've seen it, I think, twice.

    We used to beat the heck out of 3 TL892s at Postal; ran 'em about 18
    hours a day.

    Think I saw that particular error once there and once at GlaxoSmithKline.

    But then, like you, I've looked at a *lot* of tape drives.

    Started with the ones that used those round things with the big hole
    in the middle...

    I think the date of manufacture was chiseled into the chassis in Roman numerals.

    Best regards,

    WWWebb

+ Reply to Thread