Re: Mozilla (et al.) v. TCPIP FTP server - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Mozilla (et al.) v. TCPIP FTP server - VMS ; From: koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) > In article , Carl Karcher writes: > > > > The real 'fix' is for hp to add a 'unix compatibility mode' to it's > > ftp server. Enabled by a logical name perhaps. No ...

  1. Re: Mozilla (et al.) v. TCPIP FTP server

    From: koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler)

    > In article <89ec2aa2-ed5f-4cbd-88e6-4e71283e934f@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, Carl Karcher writes:
    > >
    > > The real 'fix' is for hp to add a 'unix compatibility mode' to it's
    > > ftp server. Enabled by a logical name perhaps. No GUI FTP client can
    > > read the listings so it's going to have problems manipulating the
    > > files. You can't expect every GUI FTP client to have special code to
    > > deal with ODS5, but you could expect HP to provide a 'unix' compatible
    > > ftp server so all those GUI FTP clients out there work again.

    > Nope. I expect all those clients out there to start following the
    > RFC, or maybe an update to the RFC (not likely), instead of all the
    > vendors having to make up for those who don't follow the RFC.

    And any such "fix" is unlikely to help anyone who isn't using the
    next version of TCPIP.

    > There's nothing going on with file names on an ODS-5 disk which isn't
    > handled by the RFC.

    Oh, really? So, the RFC expects the FTP client to do caret removal
    on the names supplied by the FTP server? This seems to me unlikely.
    Have you ever used a TCPIP FTP server with extended file names on an
    ODS5 disk? (Apparently not. It's lamer than you might think possible.)

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Mozilla (et al.) v. TCPIP FTP server

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <08041807563198_2020CE0A@antinode.org>, sms@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) writes:
    >> Oh, really? So, the RFC expects the FTP client to do caret removal
    >> on the names supplied by the FTP server? This seems to me unlikely.
    >> Have you ever used a TCPIP FTP server with extended file names on an
    >> ODS5 disk? (Apparently not. It's lamer than you might think possible.)

    > Why should the carets be removed? They are part of the file name.
    >
    > Oh, you want a^.b.c on VMS to become a.b.c on some other platform?
    > That's your problem, just like when we wanted A.FTN from RSX to
    > become A.FOR on VMS.

    Is there some benefit to putting carets in a file name? Other than
    creating compatibility problems?????

  3. Re: Mozilla (et al.) v. TCPIP FTP server

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > Is there some benefit to putting carets in a file name? Other than
    > creating compatibility problems?????

    The issue here is that VMS doesn't *really* support funky names in ODS5.
    It has a kludge to support non standard characters by preceding them
    with a caret.

    so, on a mac, the file my.chocolate.bar when transfered as such to VMS
    will create mył.chocolate.bar in a VMS directory.

    I think NFS (if I can get it to work again without rebooting) translates
    it back to my.chocolate.bar when feeding the mac, but not FTP.

  4. Re: Mozilla (et al.) v. TCPIP FTP server

    In article <08041807563198_2020CE0A@antinode.org>, sms@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) writes:
    > Oh, really? So, the RFC expects the FTP client to do caret removal
    > on the names supplied by the FTP server? This seems to me unlikely.
    > Have you ever used a TCPIP FTP server with extended file names on an
    > ODS5 disk? (Apparently not. It's lamer than you might think possible.)

    Why should the carets be removed? They are part of the file name.

    Oh, you want a^.b.c on VMS to become a.b.c on some other platform?
    That's your problem, just like when we wanted A.FTN from RSX to
    become A.FOR on VMS.

  5. Re: Mozilla (et al.) v. TCPIP FTP server

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >> Is there some benefit to putting carets in a file name? Other than
    >> creating compatibility problems?????

    > The issue here is that VMS doesn't *really* support funky names in ODS5.
    > It has a kludge to support non standard characters by preceding them
    > with a caret.
    >
    > so, on a mac, the file my.chocolate.bar when transfered as such to VMS
    > will create mył.chocolate.bar in a VMS directory.
    >
    > I think NFS (if I can get it to work again without rebooting) translates
    > it back to my.chocolate.bar when feeding the mac, but not FTP.

    Whatever turns you on. MY_CHOCOLATE.BAR works without playing silly
    games with carats *or* ODS-5. Am I hopelessly old fashioned? DON'T
    ANSWER THAT!!

  6. Re: Mozilla (et al.) v. TCPIP FTP server

    In article , "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    >> In article <08041807563198_2020CE0A@antinode.org>, sms@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) writes:
    >>> Oh, really? So, the RFC expects the FTP client to do caret removal
    >>> on the names supplied by the FTP server? This seems to me unlikely.
    >>> Have you ever used a TCPIP FTP server with extended file names on an
    >>> ODS5 disk? (Apparently not. It's lamer than you might think possible.)

    >> Why should the carets be removed? They are part of the file name.
    >>
    >> Oh, you want a^.b.c on VMS to become a.b.c on some other platform?
    >> That's your problem, just like when we wanted A.FTN from RSX to
    >> become A.FOR on VMS.
    >>

    > Is there some benefit to putting carets in a file name? Other than
    > creating compatibility problems?????

    VMS will respond if you just want to open a.b.c, anyhow. If the FTP
    client won't let you ask for it, get another one. If the FTP server
    screws it up, get a better stack.

+ Reply to Thread