Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core... - VMS

This is a discussion on Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core... - VMS ; Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core. Although no firm date has been given, this announcement gives us a glimse of a possible "George Jetson" future. http://www.dailytech.com/Dodecacore+...ticle11531.htm A twin-die Istanbul processor could enable 12 cores in a single package. Each ...

  1. Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core...

    Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core.

    Although no firm date has been given, this announcement gives us a
    glimse of a possible "George Jetson" future.

    http://www.dailytech.com/Dodecacore+...ticle11531.htm

    A twin-die Istanbul processor could enable 12 cores in a single
    package. Each of these cores will communicate to each other via the
    now-enabled HT3.0 interconnect on the processor.

    The rabbit hole gets deeper. Since each of these processors will
    contain a dual-channel memory controller, a single-core can emulate
    quad-channel memory functions by accessing the other dual-channel
    memory controller on the same socket. This move is likely a
    preemptive strike against Intel's Nehalem tri-channel memory
    controller.

    Motherboard manufacturers claim Shanghai and its many-core derivatives
    will be backwards compatible with existing Socket 1207 motherboards.
    However, processor-to-processor communication will downgrade to lower
    HyperTransport frequencies on these older motherboards. The newest
    1207+ motherboards will officially support the HyperTransport 3.0
    frequencies.

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

  2. Re: Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core...

    Neil Rieck wrote:
    > Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core.

    I would think that this Tukwilla thing, supposed to come out "soon" will
    give IA64 its last claim to performance for a short period of time
    before being overtaken by the 8086 once and for all. IA64 will be
    blindsighted by upcoming 8086 projects and it is likely, in my opinion,
    that Intel will announce end of the line for IA64 betwen Tukwila and its
    successor (whats the name again ?)

    Big question is whether they will actually deliver the successor to
    Tukwila, or just deliver speed boosts on the existing chip.

  3. Re: Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core...

    On Apr 18, 1:11*am, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Neil Rieck wrote:
    > > Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core.

    > I would think that this Tukwilla thing, supposed to come out "soon" will
    > give IA64 its last claim to performance for a short period of time
    > before being overtaken by the 8086 once and for all. IA64 will be
    > blindsighted by upcoming 8086 projects and it is likely, in my opinion,
    > that Intel will announce end of the line for IA64 betwen Tukwila and its
    > successor (whats the name again ?)
    >
    > Big question is whether they will actually deliver the successor to
    > Tukwila, or just deliver speed boosts on the existing chip.

    I was pleasantly surprised to see the Tukila (quad-core Itanium)
    announcement at IPF and am pleased that Intel hasn’t (yet) abandoned
    the chip. People forget that more Itanium platforms are now in
    commercial use than the total number of Alpha platforms ever produced.
    If Intel doesn’t ever retire Itanium, then maybe son-of-Tukwila will
    eventually merge with the daughter-of-Nehalem. Of course this is just
    wishful thinking on my part.

    On a related note, I feel the need to point out the following:
    My employer’s company was fully entrenched in VAX platforms when Alpha
    was announced in the early 1990s and we thought we’d never get access
    to the new technology. But less than 7 years later (my employer is
    incredibly cheap), Alpha systems where rolling in the door. Alpha
    hardware and software cost much less than VAX. Alpha hardware used
    much less power and required almost no air conditioning. It was almost
    like you couldn’t afford to not go to Alpha. The only problem with
    this logic is that desktop systems also became incredibly inexpensive
    so it was still difficult to get the financial people to open their
    wallets.

    So I’m going to go out on a limb and state that I expect to see
    Itanium systems rolling in the door sometime in 2009 (my employer is
    still incredibly cheap). If these Itanium systems were as inexpensive
    as Penryn (Core2 Quad) we’d have them now.

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/lin...l_openvms.html
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/lin...vms_demos.html

  4. Re: Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core...

    On Apr 17, 9:34 pm, Neil Rieck wrote:
    > Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core.
    >
    > Although no firm date has been given, this announcement gives us a
    > glimse of a possible "George Jetson" future.

    What does this have to do with the Jetsons?

    > http://www.dailytech.com/Dodecacore+...is+Now+Officia...
    >

    > A twin-die Istanbul processor could enable 12 cores in a single
    > package. Each of these cores will communicate to each other via the
    > now-enabled HT3.0 interconnect on the processor.
    >
    > The rabbit hole gets deeper. Since each of these processors will
    > contain a dual-channel memory controller, a single-core can emulate
    > quad-channel memory functions by accessing the other dual-channel
    > memory controller on the same socket. This move is likely a
    > preemptive strike against Intel's Nehalem tri-channel memory
    > controller.
    >
    > Motherboard manufacturers claim Shanghai and its many-core derivatives
    > will be backwards compatible with existing Socket 1207 motherboards.
    > However, processor-to-processor communication will downgrade to lower
    > HyperTransport frequencies on these older motherboards. The newest
    > 1207+ motherboards will officially support the HyperTransport 3.0
    > frequencies.
    >

    > Neil Rieck
    > Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    > Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

  5. Re: Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core...

    On Apr 18, 9:38*am, AEF wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 9:34 pm, Neil Rieck wrote:
    >
    > > Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core.

    > > Although no firm date has been given, this announcement gives us a
    > > glimse of a possible "George Jetson" future.

    > What does this have to do with the Jetsons?
    >

    > >http://www.dailytech.com/Dodecacore+...is+Now+Officia...

    > > A twin-die Istanbul processor could enable 12 cores in a single
    > > package. Each of these cores will communicate to each other via the
    > > now-enabled HT3.0 interconnect on the processor.

    > > The rabbit hole gets deeper. *Since each of these processors will
    > > contain a dual-channel memory controller, a single-core can emulate
    > > quad-channel memory functions by accessing the other dual-channel
    > > memory controller on the same socket. *This move is likely a
    > > preemptive strike against Intel's Nehalem tri-channel memory
    > > controller.

    > > Motherboard manufacturers claim Shanghai and its many-core derivatives
    > > will be backwards compatible with existing Socket 1207 motherboards.
    > > However, processor-to-processor communication will downgrade to lower
    > > HyperTransport frequencies on these older motherboards. The newest
    > > 1207+ motherboards will officially support the HyperTransport 3.0
    > > frequencies.

    > > Neil Rieck
    > > Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    > > Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/- Hide quoted text -

    Sorry, it's a colloquial expression I use from time-to-time. When I
    was a kid, the Jetsons provided a cool look into one possible future.
    Flying cars were never seen again until Blade Runner when the future
    didn’t look so cool.

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

  6. Re: Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core...

    On Apr 18, 5:53 pm, Neil Rieck wrote:
    > On Apr 18, 9:38 am, AEF wrote:
    >

    > > On Apr 17, 9:34 pm, Neil Rieck wrote:

    > > > Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core.

    > > > Although no firm date has been given, this announcement gives us a
    > > > glimse of a possible "George Jetson" future.

    > > What does this have to do with the Jetsons?

    > > >http://www.dailytech.com/Dodecacore+...is+Now+Officia....

    > > > A twin-die Istanbul processor could enable 12 cores in a single
    > > > package. Each of these cores will communicate to each other via the
    > > > now-enabled HT3.0 interconnect on the processor.

    > > > The rabbit hole gets deeper. Since each of these processors will
    > > > contain a dual-channel memory controller, a single-core can emulate
    > > > quad-channel memory functions by accessing the other dual-channel
    > > > memory controller on the same socket. This move is likely a
    > > > preemptive strike against Intel's Nehalem tri-channel memory
    > > > controller.

    > > > Motherboard manufacturers claim Shanghai and its many-core derivatives
    > > > will be backwards compatible with existing Socket 1207 motherboards.
    > > > However, processor-to-processor communication will downgrade to lower
    > > > HyperTransport frequencies on these older motherboards. The newest
    > > > 1207+ motherboards will officially support the HyperTransport 3.0
    > > > frequencies.

    > > > Neil Rieck
    > > > Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    > > > Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/-Hide quoted text -

    > Sorry, it's a colloquial expression I use from time-to-time. When I
    > was a kid, the Jetsons provided a cool look into one possible future.
    > Flying cars were never seen again until Blade Runner when the future
    > didn’t look so cool.
    >
    > Neil Rieck
    > Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    > Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

    OK, so what makes this more than the usual incremental gain that never
    seems to make anything run faster anyway? I mean Jetsons is pretty
    extreme: not only flying cars, but buildings on multi-hundred-foot
    stilts, lots of robotic linkage machines, smart-ass robots, and I
    can't remember what else. Hey, I can't do it justice here, but
    wikipedia has a good, but short, write-up about it. And the show did
    have what for me was the first hint of the possibility of RSI:
    buttonitis! Though I laughed at it at the time, which I suppose was
    the intent, anyway.

    AEF -- UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

  7. Re: Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core...

    AEF wrote:

    > OK, so what makes this more than the usual incremental gain that never
    > seems to make anything run faster anyway? I mean Jetsons is pretty
    > extreme: not only flying cars, but buildings on multi-hundred-foot
    > stilts, lots of robotic linkage machines, smart-ass robots, and I
    > can't remember what else.

    Does anyone ever walk in the Jetsons, or are they always on rolling
    carpets ? Seems to me that it is a future without any exercise (except
    for their dog).

    > AEF -- UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

    How dare you :-)

  8. Re: Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core...

    On Apr 18, 9:22 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > AEF wrote:
    > > OK, so what makes this more than the usual incremental gain that never
    > > seems to make anything run faster anyway? I mean Jetsons is pretty
    > > extreme: not only flying cars, but buildings on multi-hundred-foot
    > > stilts, lots of robotic linkage machines, smart-ass robots, and I
    > > can't remember what else.

    > Does anyone ever walk in the Jetsons, or are they always on rolling
    > carpets ? Seems to me that it is a future without any exercise (except
    > for their dog).

    Well, according to Wikipedia, George Jetson's job consists of pushing
    a single computer button for his entire 3-hour workday! And he works
    only 3 days a week! I don't remember that part, but I do remember one
    episode was about buttonitis: wearing out your finger pushing buttons
    all day. Little did they know RSI was in the (real) near future! Well,
    I assume people did know about writer's cramp, I assume. And
    musician's cramp! I'd say at least that far back, no?

    > > AEF -- UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

    > How dare you :-)

    I DARE!

    AEF -- UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

  9. Re: Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core...

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:23:18 -0700 (PDT), AEF wrote:

    >Little did they know RSI was in the (real) near future! Well,
    >I assume people did know about writer's cramp, I assume. And
    >musician's cramp! I'd say at least that far back, no?

    Telegrapher's "glass arm" was a real problem back in the 19C...
    (Imagine tapping out 30+ words per minute non-stop for a 12-hour
    shift!)
    --
    Cheers,
    Stan Barr t-bone .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

    The future was never like this!

  10. Re: Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core...

    In article , AEF writes:

    > OK, so what makes this more than the usual incremental gain that never
    > seems to make anything run faster anyway? I mean Jetsons is pretty
    > extreme: not only flying cars, but buildings on multi-hundred-foot
    > stilts, lots of robotic linkage machines, smart-ass robots, and I
    > can't remember what else. Hey, I can't do it justice here, but
    > wikipedia has a good, but short, write-up about it. And the show did
    > have what for me was the first hint of the possibility of RSI:
    > buttonitis! Though I laughed at it at the time, which I suppose was
    > the intent, anyway.

    There were days when George would get home and complain that his
    button pushing finger was killing him. Some days I get home and my
    fingers hurt after a day on a keypad. On what's on that keypad?
    Buttons. So I think of George and things to come.

  11. Re: Chip head stuff: AMD's proposed 12 core...

    On Apr 21, 9:34 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article , AEF writes:
    >

    > > OK, so what makes this more than the usual incremental gain that never
    > > seems to make anything run faster anyway? I mean Jetsons is pretty
    > > extreme: not only flying cars, but buildings on multi-hundred-foot
    > > stilts, lots of robotic linkage machines, smart-ass robots, and I
    > > can't remember what else. Hey, I can't do it justice here, but
    > > wikipedia has a good, but short, write-up about it. And the show did
    > > have what for me was the first hint of the possibility of RSI:
    > > buttonitis! Though I laughed at it at the time, which I suppose was
    > > the intent, anyway.

    > There were days when George would get home and complain that his
    > button pushing finger was killing him. Some days I get home and my
    > fingers hurt after a day on a keypad. On what's on that keypad?
    > Buttons. So I think of George and things to come.

    I rewrote this at least a couple of times and I originally had the
    ending as, "But the show did have what for me ....". In one of those
    rewrites it seemed to me for some reason that I needed And instead of
    But. Sorry.

    AEF

+ Reply to Thread