OT: IBM looking at Macintosh - VMS

This is a discussion on OT: IBM looking at Macintosh - VMS ; In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes: > > AS/400 was one of a few different attempt by IBM to build a VAX > killer. While they had some success of there own, none of them > killed the VAX. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: OT: IBM looking at Macintosh

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    > AS/400 was one of a few different attempt by IBM to build a VAX
    > killer. While they had some success of there own, none of them
    > killed the VAX.

    Ahem, VAX is dead as far as I can see (as are DEC),
    whereas AS/400 (and IBM) are pretty much alive.

  2. Re: OT: IBM looking at Macintosh

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 06:39:39 -0700, Bob Koehler
    > wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <01b89554-e11f-47cd-9a32-a23966054820@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
    >> AEF writes:
    >>> Yet they supplanted many VMS systems with their AS/400's! Well, VAX/
    >>> VMS, at least. I personally witnessed one in action, and one of the AS/
    >>> 400 programmers said the AS/400 was known as the VAX killer. :-(

    >> AS/400 was one of a few different attempt by IBM to build a VAX
    >> killer. While they had some success of there own, none of them
    >> killed the VAX.
    >>

    > Actually it was a continuation of the line that began as the System 3 in
    > the early seventies, was intended (I think) to provide a continuation for
    > customers of a very profitable line, and may have incidentally prevented
    > some of those customers from migrating to VAX.

    I think that is an important point.

    AS/400 may have cost Digital more customers that just those actually
    switching from VAX to AS/400.

    Arne

  3. Re: OT: IBM looking at Macintosh

    In article <01b89554-e11f-47cd-9a32-a23966054820@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, AEF writes:

    > Yet they supplanted many VMS systems with their AS/400's! Well, VAX/
    > VMS, at least. I personally witnessed one in action, and one of the AS/
    > 400 programmers said the AS/400 was known as the VAX killer. :-(

    AS/400 was one of a few different attempt by IBM to build a VAX
    killer. While they had some success of there own, none of them
    killed the VAX.

  4. Re: OT: IBM looking at Macintosh

    On Apr 21, 12:50 am, JF Mezei wrote:

    > Warning: see a doctor immediatly if you stay in uppercase for more than
    > 4 hours at a time.

    AEF UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

  5. Re: OT: IBM looking at Macintosh

    In article ,
    AEF writes:

    >> Warning: see a doctor immediatly if you stay in uppercase for more than
    >> 4 hours at a time.

    > AEF UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

    Repeating yourself like that is a bad sign!!!

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  6. Re: OT: IBM looking at Macintosh

    On Apr 21, 6:57 pm, billg...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > AEF writes:

    > >> Warning: see a doctor immediatly if you stay in uppercase for more than
    > >> 4 hours at a time.

    > > AEF UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

    > Repeating yourself like that is a bad sign!!!
    >
    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > billg...@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    I can downshift when needed. :-)

    AEF UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT

  7. Re: OT: IBM looking at Macintosh

    > Warning: see a doctor immediatly if you stay in uppercase for more than
    > 4 hours at a time.

    JF,

    What's the matter? Are you having trouble SHIFTing into uppercase?

    Speaking of which, 4 hours is a problem, but 3 hours is okay?

    This reminds me of a Saturday Night Live parody: If you are stuck in
    uppercase for more than 24 hours, get on the phone (or something) and
    brag about it!

    Hey, I can downshift when needed. :-)

    AEF UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

  8. Re: OT: IBM looking at Macintosh

    AEF wrote:

    >> Warning: see a doctor immediatly if you stay in uppercase for more than
    >> 4 hours at a time.

    > What's the matter? Are you having trouble SHIFTing into uppercase?

    No. But I am aware that it is just not polite to remain SHIFTED in
    public. I can do all the UPPERCASING I want to in private, but when you
    need to exchange thoughts with others with whom you are not intimate, it
    just is not very polite to remain in UPPERCASE.

    > Speaking of which, 4 hours is a problem, but 3 hours is okay?

    I think that this whole 4 hours thing was a great marketing gimmick. It
    has become part of contemporary culture, and they probably made it so
    prominent in their ads to give the impression that those pills risk
    giving you a case of UPPERCASE lasting that long.

    > AEF UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

    did you know that ToO mUcH uPpErCaSe MaKeS yOuR eYes Go FunNy ?????

  9. Re: OT: IBM looking at Macintosh

    On Apr 22, 3:44 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > AEF wrote:
    > >> Warning: see a doctor immediatly if you stay in uppercase for more than
    > >> 4 hours at a time.

    > > What's the matter? Are you having trouble SHIFTing into uppercase?

    > No. But I am aware that it is just not polite to remain SHIFTED in
    > public. I can do all the UPPERCASING I want to in private, but when you
    > need to exchange thoughts with others with whom you are not intimate, it
    > just is not very polite to remain in UPPERCASE.
    >
    > > Speaking of which, 4 hours is a problem, but 3 hours is okay?

    > I think that this whole 4 hours thing was a great marketing gimmick. It
    > has become part of contemporary culture, and they probably made it so
    > prominent in their ads to give the impression that those pills risk
    > giving you a case of UPPERCASE lasting that long.
    >
    > > AEF UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

    > did you know that ToO mUcH uPpErCaSe MaKeS yOuR eYes Go FunNy ?????

    PLONK!

    AEF UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

  10. Re: OT: IBM looking at Macintosh

    On Apr 21, 6:57 pm, billg...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > AEF writes:

    > >> Warning: see a doctor immediatly if you stay in uppercase for more than
    > >> 4 hours at a time.

    > > AEF UPPERCASE AND PROUD OF IT!

    > Repeating yourself like that is a bad sign!!!
    >
    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > billg...@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    You mean someone is going to take this subthread seriously? God help
    them.

    AEF

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2