The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture - VMS

This is a discussion on The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture - VMS ; Logikal Solutions announces the completion of "The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture". It is expected to begin shipping on or about April 28, 2008. It will be available at the usual places for this series and ...

  1. The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    Logikal Solutions announces the completion of "The Minimum You Need
    to Know About Service Oriented Architecture". It is expected to begin
    shipping on or about April 28, 2008. It will be available at the
    usual places for this series and has a list price of $45.00 US.

    Service Oriented Architecture is all the rage these days. Dozens, if
    not hundreds of books are published on it, and more seem to show up
    every day. This book isn't awash with buzzwords and jargon. In
    truth, this book will probably be shunned by the SOA elite.

    Rather than focus on the front end, this book focuses on the back
    end. That Heritage data silo/application where all of the other books
    just draw a box with "connect somehow" written on it. Most of them
    try to sell some expensive middleware along the way.

    Management can and should read the first 5 chapters in this book.
    These chapters aren't technical and may very well open their eyes.
    The remaining chapters are for those programmers given the "connect
    somehow" task. While OpenVMS is the Heritage platform of choice in
    this book and Ubuntu is used for the front end development, developers
    from other platforms should get a lot of ideas by reading this book.

    Source code is provided on the CD.

    This is the last book of the series which will cover OpenVMS.

  2. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    On Apr 13, 12:14*pm, yyyc186 wrote:
    > shipping on or about April 28, 2008. *It will be available at the
    > usual places for this series and has a list price of $45.00 US.

    Links to the 'usual places' would be nice.

  3. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    On Apr 14, 9:34*am, GraphicDave wrote:
    > On Apr 13, 12:14*pm, yyyc186 wrote:
    >
    > > shipping on or about April 28, 2008. *It will be available at the
    > > usual places for this series and has a list price of $45.00 US.

    > Links to the 'usual places' would be nice.

    Island Computers will be updating their product catalog this week.

    Barnes and Noble is accepting orders as well.

    Amazon.com will never be allowed to carry it under any circumstances.

  4. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    Might this by available at the upcoming Bootcamp?

    Sean

    On Apr 14, 10:12*am, yyyc186 wrote:
    > On Apr 14, 9:34*am, GraphicDave wrote:
    >
    > > On Apr 13, 12:14*pm, yyyc186 wrote:

    > > > shipping on or about April 28, 2008. *It will be available at the
    > > > usual places for this series and has a list price of $45.00 US.

    > > Links to the 'usual places' would be nice.

    > Island Computers will be updating their product catalog this week.
    >
    > Barnes and Noble is accepting orders as well.
    >
    > Amazon.com will never be allowed to carry it under any circumstances.

  5. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    On Apr 14, 1:21 pm, s...@obanion.us wrote:
    > Might this by available at the upcoming Bootcamp?

    The short answer would be no.

  6. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    On Apr 14, 9:34*am, GraphicDave wrote:
    > On Apr 13, 12:14*pm, yyyc186 wrote:
    >
    > > shipping on or about April 28, 2008. *It will be available at the
    > > usual places for this series and has a list price of $45.00 US.

    > Links to the 'usual places' would be nice.

    Logic book
    https://icusc.com/NOV21_WEBSTORE.asp...d%20to%20Know*

    Java Book
    https://icusc.com/NOV21_WEBSTORE.asp?search_fd2=*Java*

    Application Book
    https://icusc.com/NOV21_WEBSTORE.asp...The%20Minimum*

    When David gets the database updated you can search for SOA or Service
    here:
    https://icusc.com/NOV21_WEBSTORE_search.asp?

    If you just can't wait for your friend David to get it listed, you can
    go here:

    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Min...7086665/?itm=1

  7. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    yyyc186 wrote:

    > On Apr 14, 9:34 am, GraphicDave wrote:
    > > On Apr 13, 12:14 pm, yyyc186 wrote:
    > >
    > > > shipping on or about April 28, 2008. It will be available at the
    > > > usual places for this series and has a list price of $45.00 US.

    > > Links to the 'usual places' would be nice.

    > Island Computers will be updating their product catalog this week.
    >
    > Barnes and Noble is accepting orders as well.
    >
    > Amazon.com will never be allowed to carry it under any circumstances.

    Seems a shame to "hide the lamp under a bushel" due to some "religious"
    thing. VMS needs all the exposure it can get, even from the "sinners".

    David J Dachtera
    (formerly dba) DJE Systems

  8. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    David J Dachtera wrote:

    > Seems a shame to "hide the lamp under a bushel" due to some "religious"
    > thing. VMS needs all the exposure it can get, even from the "sinners".

    You don't own VMS. HP doesn't even own VMS. It owns something called
    OpenVMS, and it is HP's job to give its own products all the exposure HO
    wants this product to get.

    It is pointless for the userbase to go against the owner's wishes to
    keep a product under the carpet. If HP wanted to market the product
    formerly known as VMS, it would do so without any problems.

    I can't paint your home while you're away because I think it would add a
    lot of value to your home. Bt if you ask me to paint it because you
    want to add value to yoru home, I can then help.

    HP is in no way asking the -product-formerly-known-as-VMS userbase to
    "paint the home". As far as they are concerned, we are a legacy customer
    base and the strategy is to slowly move those customers to core HP
    products over time. They are clearly not interested in marketing VMS.

    There comes a point where the family need to make a decision to let a
    loved one go once they realise that the doctors can't do anything else.

  9. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    >> Seems a shame to "hide the lamp under a bushel" due to some "religious"
    >> thing. VMS needs all the exposure it can get, even from the "sinners".

    > You don't own VMS. HP doesn't even own VMS. It owns something called
    > OpenVMS, and it is HP's job to give its own products all the exposure HO
    > wants this product to get.
    >
    > It is pointless for the userbase to go against the owner's wishes to
    > keep a product under the carpet. If HP wanted to market the product
    > formerly known as VMS, it would do so without any problems.

    I think they are talking about Amazon not HP !

    Arne

  10. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    On Apr 15, 6:33 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > HP is in no way asking the -product-formerly-known-as-VMS userbase to
    > "paint the home". As far as they are concerned, we are a legacy customer
    > base and the strategy is to slowly move those customers to core HP
    > products over time. They are clearly not interested in marketing VMS.

    While that may be their strategy, it isn't working at any client sites
    I visit. They are abandoning HP printers, hardware and software. The
    core business systems still running on the operating-system-formerly-
    known-as-VMS are having their service contracts moved to third party
    companies. Most are going to either Ubuntu or AIX when choosing a
    *nix platform. All of them realize moving from the operating-system-
    formerly-known-as-VMS to HP/UX is a severe downgrade. Kind of like
    moving from a Cadillac Escalade to a turbo Yugo. Yes it's cheaper,
    but your chance of surviving a crash moves toward zero as well.

  11. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    >
    > > Seems a shame to "hide the lamp under a bushel" due to some "religious"
    > > thing. VMS needs all the exposure it can get, even from the "sinners".

    > You don't own VMS. HP doesn't even own VMS. It owns something called
    > OpenVMS, and it is HP's job to give its own products all the exposure HO
    > wants this product to get.

    Well, while you underscored my point in one way, you missed it in
    another.

    "yyyc186" has some, I can only call it, "religious" aversion to Amazon,
    even though it's -THE- biggest, most popular book buying site on the
    web. (Grudges are fine as far as they go if you're into that sort of
    thing, but they're not very profitable.)

    It's rather like boycotting television or "Hollywood" movies due to the
    corruption, drugs, sex, rock-and-roll, etc. which characterize such
    things.

    For example, I cannot condone rap or a lot of other genres; however, I
    would never consider instructing my marketing people to not buy ad
    time/space in those media markets if I had a product that needed maximum
    exposure.

    For another example, I don't particularly appreciate PayPal's commission
    structures or eBay's insertion fees and commissions. Given the
    alternatives, however, I don't rule them out.

    David J Dachtera
    (formerly dba) DJE Systems

  12. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    David J Dachtera wrote:

    >> Which is why I also don't do E-bay.

    > If we all lived by that philosophy, poor Sue would be out of a job (or
    > at least not working for VMS), because it would have died long ago).

    This is debatable.

    Years ago, the local bike club would stop at the local McDonalds after
    the group rides for milkshakes etc. It had a nice outdoor terrace, so it
    was easy to leave our bikes near to us and good to breathe some fresh air.

    Then, they replaced the outdoor terrace with a roadway leading to the
    "drive through".

    Bike club moved to another place for the end of ride. BUT...

    At one point, I needed some french fries for dinner, and I figured I
    would just bike to the local McDonalds to buy some. Figured it would be
    much more convenient to just use that "drive through" to order the
    fries, this way I wouldn't have to get off the bike, lock it, etc etc.

    But, they refused to sell me anything at the drive trhough. Something
    about my not having triggered the car counting mechanism, so their
    statistics would be out of whack. There was no car behind me, but they
    insisted I could not buy from the drive through and the only way I could
    get french fries was via the indoor counters. Told them they not onlyt
    lost a sale, but also a customer.

    A couple weeks later, I read in the newspaper that some guy in florida
    got in the same situation as me, but he insisted on being served, and
    the manager called the police and he was charged with trespassing.

    I have NEVER gone back to McDonalds since. It turns out that this was
    corporate policy to not serve cyclists at the drive through.

    If everyone stood by their principles and not do business with outfits
    that have screwed them (or vote for a party that screwed them), then the
    world would be a better place and businesses would learn to better
    handle their customers.

  13. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    On Apr 25, 10:08 pm, David J Dachtera
    wrote:
    > Needless to say, we refinanced with a local bank who does not sell their
    > notes and we do not even consider doing business with WaMu. Then again,
    > they have plenty of competition - they're nothing special in their
    > market, unlike Amazon which is the largest, most popular and most
    > recogizable and, therefore, the best place to market such a book.

    Once again, do not repeat was is only un-true marketing hype. Amazon
    is not the largest. In book sales, they are behind Barnes & Noble.
    When you combine, book+movie+music CD they are behind both Barnes &
    Noble and Walmart.

  14. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > [snip]
    > I have NEVER gone back to McDonalds since. It turns out that this was
    > corporate policy to not serve cyclists at the drive through.

    Where do other fast-food chains stand on that question?

    If McD's is the only one discriminating, then you have a valid point.

    If their policy is the accepted industry practice, it's rather a
    different argument.

    D.J.D.

  15. Re: The Minimum You Need to Know About Service Oriented Architecture

    In article <481A7CC4.9D8AC989@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera writes:
    > JF Mezei wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >> I have NEVER gone back to McDonalds since. It turns out that this was
    >> corporate policy to not serve cyclists at the drive through.

    > Where do other fast-food chains stand on that question?
    >
    > If McD's is the only one discriminating, then you have a valid point.
    >
    > If their policy is the accepted industry practice, it's rather a
    > different argument.

    I don't know about fast food drive-throughs or bikes, but I recall a
    bank who wouldn't server a customer that walked up to a drive-through
    window on the notion that it wasn't safe to stand in line with a
    bunch of cars.

    Customer's problem was that only the drive though was open when he
    was off work.

+ Reply to Thread