Extending/suppressing SSH session timeout under TCP/IP Services? - VMS

This is a discussion on Extending/suppressing SSH session timeout under TCP/IP Services? - VMS ; Gang -- Our Itanium machines run TCP/IP Services; our Alphas run Multinet, and I'm a lot more used to Multinet. On current (and recently past) versions of VMS (8.3, 8.31H1) and TCP/IP Services (5.6x) our incoming SSH connections have some ...

  1. Extending/suppressing SSH session timeout under TCP/IP Services?

    Gang --

    Our Itanium machines run TCP/IP Services; our Alphas run Multinet, and I'm a
    lot more used to Multinet. On current (and recently past) versions of VMS
    (8.3, 8.31H1) and TCP/IP Services (5.6x) our incoming SSH connections have some
    kind of inactivity timeout - after five minutes they freeze up and/or drop the
    connection.

    For our uses, that's just incredibly annoying. We haven't found what knobs to
    twiddle to either extend or disable the timeout, and we certainly don't want
    to resort to cheesy tricks like running a program in a subprocess to update the
    time in one corner of the screen every minutes.

    So how can we disable the timeout, or lengthen the allowed inactive time?

    Thanks,

    -- Alan

  2. Re: Extending/suppressing SSH session timeout under TCP/IP Services?

    Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing wrote:
    > Gang --
    >
    > Our Itanium machines run TCP/IP Services; our Alphas run Multinet, and I'm a
    > lot more used to Multinet. On current (and recently past) versions of VMS
    > (8.3, 8.31H1) and TCP/IP Services (5.6x) our incoming SSH connections have some
    > kind of inactivity timeout - after five minutes they freeze up and/or drop the
    > connection.
    >
    > For our uses, that's just incredibly annoying. We haven't found what knobs to
    > twiddle to either extend or disable the timeout, and we certainly don't want
    > to resort to cheesy tricks like running a program in a subprocess to update the
    > time in one corner of the screen every minutes.
    >
    > So how can we disable the timeout, or lengthen the allowed inactive time?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -- Alan

    Alan,

    You might check the TCP keepalive values with

    TCPIP> sysconfig -q inet

    esp.

    tcp_keepidle Specifies the amount of idle time, in seconds, before sending
    a keepalive probe. The default interval is two hours.

    John

  3. Re: Extending/suppressing SSH session timeout under TCP/IP Services?

    Alan,

    there is a current discussion in the ITRC OpenVMS forum about 'SSH
    Users dropped', which may be related:

    http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/...readId=1220134

    Volker.

  4. Re: Extending/suppressing SSH session timeout under TCP/IP Services?

    In article <98038343-32e3-49c2-a2a6-6745763158c3@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Volker Halle writes:
    >Alan,
    >
    >there is a current discussion in the ITRC OpenVMS forum about 'SSH
    >Users dropped', which may be related:
    >
    >http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/...readId=1220134

    Thanks!

    Will check it out.

    -- Alan

  5. Re: Extending/suppressing SSH session timeout under TCP/IP Services?

    In article <47FC1961.108@csdco.com>, John Nebel
    writes:

    >Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing wrote:
    >> Gang --
    >>
    >> Our Itanium machines run TCP/IP Services; our Alphas run Multinet, and I'm a
    >> lot more used to Multinet. On current (and recently past) versions of VMS
    >> (8.3, 8.31H1) and TCP/IP Services (5.6x) our incoming SSH connections have some
    >> kind of inactivity timeout - after five minutes they freeze up and/or drop the
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> For our uses, that's just incredibly annoying. We haven't found what knobs to
    >> twiddle to either extend or disable the timeout, and we certainly don't want
    >> to resort to cheesy tricks like running a program in a subprocess to update the
    >> time in one corner of the screen every minutes.
    >>
    >> So how can we disable the timeout, or lengthen the allowed inactive time?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> -- Alan

    >Alan,
    >
    >You might check the TCP keepalive values with
    >
    >TCPIP> sysconfig -q inet
    >
    >esp.
    >
    >tcp_keepidle Specifies the amount of idle time, in seconds, before sending
    > a keepalive probe. The default interval is two hours.

    Will check it out!

    Thanks,

    -- Alan

  6. Re: Extending/suppressing SSH session timeout under TCP/IP Services?

    wrote in message news:00A77D1C.ACD55DA8@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU...
    > Gang --
    >
    > Our Itanium machines run TCP/IP Services; our Alphas run Multinet, and I'm
    > lot more used to Multinet. On current (and recently past) versions of VMS
    > (8.3, 8.31H1) and TCP/IP Services (5.6x) our incoming SSH connections have
    > some
    > kind of inactivity timeout - after five minutes they freeze up and/or drop
    > the
    > connection.
    >
    > For our uses, that's just incredibly annoying. We haven't found what
    > knobs to
    > twiddle to either extend or disable the timeout, and we certainly don't
    > want
    > to resort to cheesy tricks like running a program in a subprocess to
    > update the
    > time in one corner of the screen every minutes.
    >
    > So how can we disable the timeout, or lengthen the allowed inactive time?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -- Alan

    I don't know where the SSH server configuration file is stored with TCP/IP
    Services, but you might want to consider adding an IdleTimeOut parameter to
    it with what you feel is a long enough time that they are really idle. You
    might also consider a KeepAlive parameter.

+ Reply to Thread