Human Resource (HR) headache coming up - VMS

This is a discussion on Human Resource (HR) headache coming up - VMS ; Source: http://www.gorecroot.com HR in India had just about forgotten post y2k and dot com vaporization. 7 years is definitely a long time in Software and BPO parlance. We had all but forgotten that not long ago belts had to be ...

  1. Human Resource (HR) headache coming up

    Source: http://www.gorecroot.com

    HR in India had just about forgotten post y2k and dot com
    vaporization. 7 years is definitely a long time in Software and BPO

    parlance. We had all but forgotten that not long ago belts had to be
    tightened. Hardcore professionals, professional recruiters, and

    long term players enjoyed the digestion process.

    Coming up now are the following challenges:
    1. An industry force that believes that salaries grow 20 - 30% every
    year (perhaps twice a year would be good as well)
    2. At least for India based companies, the government is talking about
    having the Techies pay some corporate tax
    3. HR that is grapling with attrition issues - not really the rate,
    but the way it is done

    HR in other verticals are commenting and do I see a smirk: You reap
    what you sow. Perhaps it is time to go back, close the loop and

    pull some good basics from Industrial Relations days.

    Human Resource Management was (when it started a few decades back in
    India) just the better dressed + business drink version of

    good old Industrial Relations. Am just quoting someone who has been in
    business for 3+ decades now. Did we lose sight of objective

    somewhere in the middle? Somewhere when people were looked in 5
    performance bands,

    Comments anyone?

    Any talking industry wide clean up acts yet? Isn't it about time?

  2. Re: Human Resource (HR) headache coming up

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 00:11:49 -0700, gorecroot
    wrote:

    > Source: http://www.gorecroot.com
    >

    > HR in India had just about forgotten post y2k and dot com
    > vaporization. 7 years is definitely a long time in Software and BPO
    >
    > parlance. We had all but forgotten that not long ago belts had to be
    > tightened. Hardcore professionals, professional recruiters, and
    >
    > long term players enjoyed the digestion process.
    >
    > Coming up now are the following challenges:
    > 1. An industry force that believes that salaries grow 20 - 30% every
    > year (perhaps twice a year would be good as well)
    > 2. At least for India based companies, the government is talking about
    > having the Techies pay some corporate tax
    > 3. HR that is grapling with attrition issues - not really the rate,
    > but the way it is done
    >
    > HR in other verticals are commenting and do I see a smirk: You reap
    > what you sow. Perhaps it is time to go back, close the loop and
    >
    > pull some good basics from Industrial Relations days.
    >
    > Human Resource Management was (when it started a few decades back in
    > India) just the better dressed + business drink version of
    >
    > good old Industrial Relations. Am just quoting someone who has been in
    > business for 3+ decades now. Did we lose sight of objective
    >
    > somewhere in the middle? Somewhere when people were looked in 5
    > performance bands,
    >
    > Comments anyone?

    Yes, that adjective form of India is Indian.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

+ Reply to Thread