OpenVMS Integrity + Blades Testimonials - Financial and Telecom Markets - VMS

This is a discussion on OpenVMS Integrity + Blades Testimonials - Financial and Telecom Markets - VMS ; All, The readers of this list might be interested in the following links: http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A1-7816ENW.pdf (Feb 2008) http://tinyurl.com/2kpvhw (see video testimonial as well) "World's largest financial exchange organization delivers superior service with HP OpenVMS clusters on HP Integrity server blades Deutsche ...

  1. OpenVMS Integrity + Blades Testimonials - Financial and Telecom Markets

    All,

    The readers of this list might be interested in the following links:

    http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A1-7816ENW.pdf (Feb 2008)
    http://tinyurl.com/2kpvhw (see video testimonial as well)
    "World's largest financial exchange organization delivers superior service with
    HP OpenVMS clusters on HP Integrity server blades Deutsche Börse Group processes
    tens of millions of transactions daily with less than 10-millisecond response
    times [see rest of brochure]

    http://tinyurl.com/2leclp (see video testimonial as well)
    "Messaging service provider stays ahead of a booming text-messaging market.Service
    provider grows to deliver more than half of the world's mobile messages-with minimal
    changes to its infrastructure.

    "We built our SMS service on top of HP BladeSystem and the HP OpenVMS operating
    system because of the high availability and clustering capabilities of the solution.
    We've been able to scale our system to become an industry leader while providing
    continuous service to our customers."
    -- Steven van Zeanen, Vice President of Marketing, Acision

    http://tinyurl.com/3bth2y
    World's fastest-growing equity options exchange trades up to HP Integrity-OpenVMS
    Architecture.

    "The HP OpenVMS operating system on Integrity servers is extremely stable with
    excellent capacity and availability. We have found its reliability, security, and
    clustering features to be valuable and to uniquely meet our performance demands."
    Richard Ens, Head of System, Storage, and Network Engineering,
    International Securities Exchange

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  2. Re: OpenVMS Integrity + Blades Testimonials - Financial and Telecom Markets

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 18:50:48 +0000, "Main, Kerry" wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >The readers of this list might be interested in the following links:
    >
    >http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A1-7816ENW.pdf (Feb 2008)
    >http://tinyurl.com/2kpvhw (see video testimonial as well)
    >"World's largest financial exchange organization delivers superior service with
    >HP OpenVMS clusters on HP Integrity server blades Deutsche Börse Group processes
    >tens of millions of transactions daily with less than 10-millisecond response
    >times [see rest of brochure]
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/2leclp (see video testimonial as well)
    >"Messaging service provider stays ahead of a booming text-messaging market. Service
    >provider grows to deliver more than half of the world's mobile messages-with minimal
    >changes to its infrastructure.
    >
    >"We built our SMS service on top of HP BladeSystem and the HP OpenVMS operating
    >system because of the high availability and clustering capabilities of the solution.
    >We've been able to scale our system to become an industry leader while providing
    >continuous service to our customers."
    >-- Steven van Zeanen, Vice President of Marketing, Acision
    >

    >http://tinyurl.com/3bth2y
    >World's fastest-growing equity options exchange trades up to HP Integrity-OpenVMS
    >Architecture.
    >
    >"The HP OpenVMS operating system on Integrity servers is extremely stable with
    >excellent capacity and availability. We have found its reliability, security, and
    >clustering features to be valuable and to uniquely meet our performance demands."
    >Richard Ens, Head of System, Storage, and Network Engineering,
    >International Securities Exchange
    >

    >Regards
    >
    >Kerry Main
    >Senior Consultant
    >HP Services Canada
    >Voice: 613-254-8911
    >Fax: 613-591-4477
    >kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    >(remove the DOT's and AT)
    >
    >OpenVMS - the secure, multi-site OS that just works.

    Hi Kerry,

    I really enjoy reading OpenVMS news, but...

    http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A1-7816ENW.pdf (Feb 2008)
    http://tinyurl.com/2kpvhw (see video testimonial as well)
    "World's largest financial exchange organization delivers superior service with
    HP OpenVMS clusters on HP Integrity server blades Deutsche Börse Group processes
    tens of millions of transactions daily with less than 10-millisecond response
    times [see rest of brochure]

    From page 1

    Approach: ... for small- to mid-sized computing needs ...

    My response:

    Just to simply sit on my hands and smile? :-)

    Thanks!!! :-) :-)

    Duane

    My opinion on the importance of OpenVMS news and being able to find it.

  3. RE: OpenVMS Integrity + Blades Testimonials - Financial and Telecom Markets

    Well, the intent was to emphasize "clusters" of inexpensive blades where
    each individual blade on their own is targeted for small to medium
    businesses. After reading, I guess it could have been worded better.

    Having stated this, I don't think to many small to med businesses have
    the following levels of transactions (extract from same 1st pg in PDF):

    Objective:
    Process 40 to 50 million financial transactions daily with zero downtime
    and 10-millisecond response times.

    :-)

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  4. Re: OpenVMS Integrity + Blades Testimonials - Financial and TelecomMarkets

    Main, Kerry wrote:

    > Well, the intent was to emphasize "clusters" of inexpensive blades where
    > each individual blade on their own is targeted for small to medium
    > businesses. After reading, I guess it could have been worded better.

    So now, Blades have become what HP considers to be the low end of IA64?

    In my universe, Blades have always been pitched to large organisations
    who need extra space in their data centre and wish to stuff many servers
    into a single box. And Blades have been seen as a higher margin products
    since they provide additional "value" in terms of having more servers
    per rack units of space.

    Funny, I never saw those beasts as being targettes at small to medium
    business.

    Perhaps in the VMS universe, "small medium" business now refer to the
    lower end of Fortune 500, with "large business" being in the top 25 of
    the Fortune 500 ?

  5. Re: OpenVMS Integrity + Blades Testimonials - Financial and Telecom Markets Markets Markets

    On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 11:48 AM, JF Mezei
    wrote (in part):
    > In my universe, Blades have always been pitched to large organisations
    > who need extra space in their data centre and wish to stuff many servers
    > into a single box. And Blades have been seen as a higher margin products
    > since they provide additional "value" in terms of having more servers
    > per rack units of space.
    >
    > Funny, I never saw those beasts as being targettes at small to medium
    > business.
    >
    > Perhaps in the VMS universe, "small medium" business now refer to the
    > lower end of Fortune 500, with "large business" being in the top 25 of
    > the Fortune 500 ?

    No, just like large disk farms have been replaced by either larger
    disks or disk arrays which use much less space, blades can be used by
    any size organization to reduce the amount of space needed by the same
    number of regular servers. And the space needed for possible expansion
    is greatly reduced or eliminated.

    Consider a small shop with a 3 node cluster of ES40/45 style Alpha
    servers. Those three machine can all fit in one rack and at least
    another rack is needed for storage. If another ES style alpha server
    is needed for expansion, another rack is needed, but there may not be
    room to fit it so they do without. Now consider replacing the 3
    original machines with a c7000 blade enclosure and 3 blades -- leaving
    5 empty slots. That fits in the space of one ES40/45 Alpha Server and
    you have room left over in the rack, maybe enough for all of the
    storage needs. Now when expansion is needed, just buy another blade
    and insert into the same enclosure. No need to find space for another
    rack. Even small shops can see the savings in that scenario.

    Ken

  6. RE: OpenVMS Integrity + Blades Testimonials - Financial and Telecom Markets

    An to build on what Ken stated - with OpenVMS, each blade server can
    be in the same active-active cluster. As a blade is added, it simply
    boots off a common SAN system disk different root. Of course, this
    assumes one does the normal cluster stuff and offload common files to
    shared disk on cluster SAN.

    There are also a number of GUI mgmt agents for blades that are
    applicable for OpenVMS as well (one of advantages of sharing same
    HW as other platforms).

    Reference: (beware - url's may wrap)
    http://www.openvms.compaq.com/openvm...ement_new.html
    http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/s...70c/index.html
    http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/b...omponents.html

    Blades are not the answer to all environments, but they sure are
    attractive to many Cust environments doing server consolidation
    and/or ISP's or other similar environments that need to be able to
    quickly add capacity very quickly.

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

    Regards

  7. Re: OpenVMS Integrity + Blades Testimonials - Financial and TelecomMarkets

    The smaller blade enclosure was specifically aimed at the SME market.
    Remember there is extra storage and tape drives that fit into these
    blade enclosures. It not just a box with servers in it.

    The VMS licence for the blade is the cheapest level of licence. IIRC
    £700 per core for FOE

  8. RE: OpenVMS Integrity + Blades Testimonials - Financial and Telecom Markets

    Just want to emphasize that the larger blades are not just for small-med
    businesses when you consider their spec's:

    - dual core (4 cpu)
    - 96GB memory
    - dual FC connectivity
    - 2 x dual GB network (4 ports total)

    http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/s...70c/index.html

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

    Regards

  9. Re: OpenVMS Integrity + Blades Testimonials - Financial and Telecom Markets

    On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 14:33:50 +0000, "Main, Kerry" wrote:

> [...]

    I know, I know...
    But with no credibility, no support and no budget,
    I HAVE to be opportunistic :-) :-)

    While on the topic of news...

    Question? Where should I go to get current OpenVMS news?

    My short list contains:
    OpenVMS.org - OpenVMS Community Portal
    HoffmanLabs - OpenVMS services, support, info and opinion
    COV
    IT resource center forums - OpenVMS

    What OpenVMS news am I missing?

    I get a good feeling about OpenVMS when I read...

    *** A Classic shooter game DOOM is available for OpenVMS ***
    (gaming on OpenVMS!)

    or

    *** Maklee Engineering Welcomes Guy Peleg ***
    (Specializing in advanced OpenVMS solutions)

    or

    *** TECNASA Moves COBOL Apps to Integrity ***
    (COBOL (VAX) Apps to Integrity with an Assist from Migration Specialties)

    or

    *** Bootcamp 2008 Sessions ***
    (on using OpenVMS with mixtures of servers and clients and protocols)

    ( ... almost time to retire my Oujia board and Magic 8 Ball. ;-))

    Duane

    (I don't want to slight the important work that open source contributors make
    (as well as others), but I didn't know which one(s) to pick for my list :-()

+ Reply to Thread