Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available - VMS

This is a discussion on Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available - VMS ; My current position is in the process of drying up. I have good prospects of other employment within my company (Booz Allen Hamilton) but none that involve VMS. I've been working with VMS since 1983 and with DEC->Compaq->HP hardware and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 147

  1. Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    My current position is in the process of drying up. I have good
    prospects of other employment within my company (Booz Allen Hamilton)
    but none that involve VMS.

    I've been working with VMS since 1983 and with DEC->Compaq->HP
    hardware and software since my college days (1976-1980). I have done a
    bit of driver-level code in the past, but most recently have been
    doing VMS system support and small scale C programming.

    Given the right opportunity I'd consider relocating, perhaps
    especially to the San Francisco Bay Area, but staying in Northern
    Virginia would suit me and my family better.

    If you'd like a resume or more information you can reach me at
    gltmailbox-vms .at. yahoo dot com.

  2. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    Galen wrote:
    > My current position is in the process of drying up. I have good
    > prospects of other employment within my company (Booz Allen Hamilton)
    > but none that involve VMS.
    >
    > I've been working with VMS since 1983 and with DEC->Compaq->HP
    > hardware and software since my college days (1976-1980). I have done a
    > bit of driver-level code in the past, but most recently have been
    > doing VMS system support and small scale C programming.
    >
    > Given the right opportunity I'd consider relocating, perhaps
    > especially to the San Francisco Bay Area, but staying in Northern
    > Virginia would suit me and my family better.
    >
    > If you'd like a resume or more information you can reach me at
    > gltmailbox-vms .at. yahoo dot com.

    Welcome to the club and good luck. You'll need it. I've been looking
    since 2004! The few jobs available all seem to have additional
    requirements such as experience with MUMPS and Cache.

    If your employer is willing to retain/retrain you, count yourself damned
    lucky!!

  3. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Richard B. Gilbert
    wrote:

    > Galen wrote:
    >
    > > My current position is in the process of drying up. I have good
    > > prospects of other employment within my company (Booz Allen Hamilton)
    > > but none that involve VMS.
    > >
    > > I've been working with VMS since 1983 and with DEC->Compaq->HP
    > > hardware and software since my college days (1976-1980). I have done a
    > > bit of driver-level code in the past, but most recently have been
    > > doing VMS system support and small scale C programming.
    > >
    > > Given the right opportunity I'd consider relocating, perhaps
    > > especially to the San Francisco Bay Area, but staying in Northern
    > > Virginia would suit me and my family better.

    If you look on dice.com there are a few VMS System Management jobs out
    there. There are a few in the Philadelphia area (out towards
    Norristown) which don't need MUMPS and a few in the NYC metro area.

    > > If you'd like a resume or more information you can reach me at
    > > gltmailbox-vms .at. yahoo dot com.
    > >

    > Welcome to the club and good luck. You'll need it. I've been looking
    > since 2004! The few jobs available all seem to have additional requirements
    > such as experience with MUMPS and Cache.

    I got lucky last year when I got contacted about a consulting position
    in Baltimore (originally an 8 month contract, now it's been extended
    until at least the end of this year, which would be 20 months)

    If you're not a member of LinkedIn I would
    recommend signing up there.

    Good luck.

    Ken

  4. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    Galen wrote:
    > My current position is in the process of drying up. I have good
    > prospects of other employment within my company (Booz Allen Hamilton)
    > but none that involve VMS.

    If you have the opportunity to get your employer to pay for courses to
    retrain you in other OS or networking, TAKE IT.

    Back in 1992, some politician said "It's the economy, stupid".

    For IT, one can say "It's the applications, stupid".

    And while I wouldn't wish anyone be forced to migrate to Windows, Unix
    does offer a good compromise between a properly structured OS and
    application availability.

    Remember that many at HP have said that VMS would not be ported beyond
    Itanium. This is a pretty strong message about its future. Whether that
    IA64 thing is put out of its misery next year or 3 years down the road
    doesn't much of a difference when you are looking at your own long term
    career plans.

    With HP having told Cerner it was OK to abandon VMS, expect that many
    others will follow.

    VMS has lived fairly comfortably on life support for over a decade,
    surviving much longer than Gartner's predictions. But there comes a
    point where when you start to lose your few remaining major
    applications, it starts a chain reaction of organ failures. Short of
    sending the patient to the ICU for a major revival effort, it quickly
    gets to the point of no return.

    And since HP has reduced head count for VMS engineering, the "major
    revival effort" is clearly not going to be attempted. Draw your own
    conclusions.

  5. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    "Ken Robinson" wrote in
    news:7dd80f60804021305i6ddd82f2k3fec8c60b0ed9e13@m ail.gmail.com:

    > If you're not a member of LinkedIn I would
    > recommend signing up there.

    I'm there so I had a quick look. LinkedIn claims not to know about any
    UK VMS jobs, and presents a bunch (~250) from SimplyHired. A quick check on
    a few (that weren't obvious duplicates) either were jobs that were no
    longer available or jobs that had VMS in the list of requirements (usually
    behind other requirements like "Microsoft" and "Unix").

    Maybe things are better in the US for VMS jobs (although maybe not judging
    by the comments in the thread). Perhaps the jobs have all gone to the ~500
    people who show up on a search for "OpenVMS".

    Is there a better way to use LinkedIn that I'm not aware of? (I'm not
    looking for OpenVMS work, not even COBOL @ 650/day :-), I'm just curious).

    Antonio

  6. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    On Apr 2, 4:49 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Galen wrote:
    > > My current position is in the process of drying up. I have good
    > > prospects of other employment within my company (Booz Allen Hamilton)
    > > but none that involve VMS.

    > If you have the opportunity to get your employer to pay for courses to
    > retrain you in other OS or networking, TAKE IT.
    >
    > Back in 1992, some politician said "It's the economy, stupid".
    >
    > For IT, one can say "It's the applications, stupid".
    >
    > And while I wouldn't wish anyone be forced to migrate to Windows, Unix
    > does offer a good compromise between a properly structured OS and
    > application availability.

    I worked for a company that sprung for Unix training, got my systems
    and network certs, shell scripting, etc.

    But because of how many OTHER people out there had both certs &
    experience, I lost out. Having your VMS skills and saying they are
    transferable isn't the same as having Unix experience, unfortunately.

    Now my VMS skills are 6 years unused, and Unix skills rusty (with
    exception of home-based Linux and OS X).

    I'm thinking I should maybe go into real estate...

  7. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    winston19842005@yahoo.com wrote:

    > But because of how many OTHER people out there had both certs &
    > experience, I lost out. Having your VMS skills and saying they are
    > transferable isn't the same as having Unix experience, unfortunately.

    Which is why if you are lucky enough to have an employer willing to
    transfer/train you from VMS to Unix, you should take it because you will
    get much needed experience.

    Staying with VMS is more and more a dead end situation. Sad, but true.

  8. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    Thank you, everyone, for your encouragement and advice.

    Jobs within Booz Allen will clearly be my first choice. They're
    consistently ranked among the 100, 50, or even 25 best employers in
    the nation or region. I think they've even made the top 10 in the DC
    area for IT jobs.

    However, I've also spotted a couple of (non-VMS) jobs closer to home,
    including one within an easy bicycle ride of my home. I don't know how
    good the chances are, but I sent them a resume.

    I have seen some VMS work in the greater geographical area with a
    health care system or two in Maryland or Delaware, and in the
    financial sector in Pennsylvania. The job descriptions for these are
    pretty close fits except for the industry-specific tech. Though these
    would require a move, it is good to know that they're there.

  9. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    Galen wrote:

    > I have seen some VMS work in the greater geographical area with a
    > health care system or two in Maryland or Delaware,

    Health care VMS jobs will soon be gone now that HP told Cerner it was OK
    to abandon VMS.

  10. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 12:39 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Galen wrote:
    >
    > > I have seen some VMS work in the greater geographical area with a
    > > health care system or two in Maryland or Delaware,

    > Health care VMS jobs will soon be gone now that HP told Cerner it was OK
    > to abandon VMS.

    Stop generalizing...

    Not all healthcare jobs in VMS are using Cerner.

    Ken

  11. RE: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    JF tends to infer things and then re-state them as facts to further his
    own agenda.

    HP has always stated it requires a business justification to move to any
    new platform. They never stated it would not be ported beyond Itanium.

    Any vendor would be nuts not to have this view.

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-254-8911
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

    Regards

  12. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    > If you're not a member of LinkedIn I would
    > recommend signing up there.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Ken

    Another source which I just discovered, but cannot vouch for, is

    my.indeed.com

    using keywords vax vms vax/vms (all 3 simultaneously)

    At least it generates stuff.

  13. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > winston19842005@yahoo.com wrote:
    >

    >> But because of how many OTHER people out there had both certs &
    >> experience, I lost out. Having your VMS skills and saying they are
    >> transferable isn't the same as having Unix experience, unfortunately.
    >>

    > Which is why if you are lucky enough to have an employer willing to
    > transfer/train you from VMS to Unix, you should take it because you will
    > get much needed experience.
    >

    > Staying with VMS is more and more a dead end situation. Sad, but true.

    Of course it didn't make sense to DEC at the time, but I still contend
    that long
    ago, when AT&T was essentially giving away Unix, DEC could have
    changed the world by giving away VMS.

  14. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    Malcolm Dunnett wrote:

    > Do you have references for this (eg who said it, when they said it,
    > link to URL with this information) ?

    I my universe (which always seems to be ever so slighty different from
    everyone else's, I distinctinly saw many posts from a very famous
    former VMS engineer (whose name sounds like he is running out of breath)
    that there were no plans to port VMS beyond IA64.

    Also, Livermore was asked by media about plans to port HP-UX and others
    from IA64 and she re-itrerated that HP had no plans to port it to the
    industry standard platform.

    deja news/google (which exists in your plane of existance) did not
    immediatly return the results I was seeking. So I have to assume that
    those statements were never made in your universe.

    And since nobody would ever wish to be caught agreeing with me, I can't
    expect anyone to corroborate where I think I read.

    So you may return to thinking all is well with VMS and that the
    installed based is growing at a healthy pace with no problems.

  15. RE: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    In article , "Main, Kerry" writes:

> [...]

    The statements which have been made , though I'm not sure if any were official
    statements, have generally been that there are "no plans".
    This has pretty much always been in answer to questions about porting from
    Itanium to x86-64. This is a pretty safe answer signifying nothing about
    the longer term future of VMS.

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >Regards
    >
    >Kerry Main
    >Senior Consultant
    >HP Services Canada
    >Voice: 613-254-8911
    >Fax: 613-591-4477
    >kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    >(remove the DOT's and AT)
    >
    >OpenVMS - the secure, multi-site OS that just works.
    >

    >Regards

  16. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    On 4 Apr, 01:08, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    > > * *Do you have references for this (eg who said it, when they said it,
    > > link to URL with this information) ?

    > I my universe (which always seems to be ever so slighty different from
    > everyone else's, I distinctinly saw *many posts from a very famous
    > former VMS engineer (whose name sounds like he is running out of breath)
    > that there were no plans to port VMS beyond IA64.
    >
    > Also, Livermore was asked by media about plans to port HP-UX and others
    > from IA64 and she re-itrerated that HP had no plans to port it to the
    > industry standard platform.
    >
    > deja news/google (which exists in your plane of existance) did not
    > immediatly return the results I was seeking. So I have to assume that
    > those statements were never made in your universe.
    >
    > And since nobody would ever wish to be caught agreeing with me, I can't
    > expect anyone to corroborate where I think I read.
    >
    > So you may return to thinking all is well with VMS and that the
    > installed based is growing at a healthy pace with no problems.

    You're assuming that "no plans" means "we won't".
    The two are not synonymous.

    No plans means that, at the time the statement was made, there was no
    intention to carry out the action being referred to (in this case,
    porting OpenVMS to something other than IA64 which may not have even
    been invented or announced yet).
    We won't means that it will never happen.

    I have no plans to move from Stockport but that doesn't mean it's not
    going to happen. It just means that I haven't formulated that plan
    yet.

  17. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > I have no plans to move from Stockport but that doesn't mean it's not
    > going to happen. It just means that I haven't formulated that plan
    > yet.

    Or that you do not want anyone else to know your plans... :-) :-)

    Anyway, is there anyone at all who realy cares about what JF
    writes in this matter anymore ?

    Jan-Erik.

  18. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    Brendan,

    Thanks for the tip on my.indeed.com. I like the way the site is
    organized. It makes it simple to filter on combinations of location,
    company, etc., and seems to turn up as many VMS listings as any other
    job search site I've tried.

    Galen

  19. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    In article <2ab6e5fe-cfd8-486e-a0cd-eacff7f23f2d@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Galen writes:
    >Brendan,
    >
    >Thanks for the tip on my.indeed.com. I like the way the site is
    >organized. It makes it simple to filter on combinations of location,
    >company, etc., and seems to turn up as many VMS listings as any other
    >job search site I've tried.
    >
    >Galen

    I found that VMS is used more and more as an acronym that has
    nothing to do with the Best OS. When I search dice.com, et. al.,
    with VMS I'll get hits for Vet Med Support, Java VMs, Vendor
    Management Systems, etc. If there is more than one listing for
    VMS (the OS) it will usually be multiple headhunters listing the
    same one opening.

    Sigh.

  20. Re: Longtime VMS system manager/programmer available

    On Apr 10, 12:41 am, ma...@kuhrt.net wrote:
    > In article <2ab6e5fe-cfd8-486e-a0cd-eacff7f23...@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Galen writes:
    >
    > >Brendan,

    > >Thanks for the tip on my.indeed.com. I like the way the site is
    > >organized. It makes it simple to filter on combinations of location,
    > >company, etc., and seems to turn up as many VMS listings as any other
    > >job search site I've tried.

    > >Galen

    > I found that VMS is used more and more as an acronym that has
    > nothing to do with the Best OS. When I search dice.com, et. al.,
    > with VMS I'll get hits for Vet Med Support, Java VMs, Vendor
    > Management Systems, etc. If there is more than one listing for
    > VMS (the OS) it will usually be multiple headhunters listing the
    > same one opening.
    >
    > Sigh.

    I forget who but someone in this newsgroup pointed out that this is an
    advantage of calling it OpenVMS.

    With only 26 letters in the alphabet, combined with an uneven
    distribution of usage of the various letters, for three letter
    acronyms you're going to have some coincidences.

    E.g.:

    National Science Foundation
    National Sanitation Foundation
    National Sleep Foundation