[snip...]

> That being said, many of the high-availability applications in
> electricity
> generation and distribution would be things like SCADA and real time
> control (I'm ignoring billing, CS, etc), and real-time applications
> like
> that aren't necessarily going to benefit from cluster availability
> features - e.g. depending on the setup, the time taken for a cluster
> transition may have been too long. For that kind of app, a reliable
> Unix
> (such as Tru64) on reliable hardware (such as AlphaServer) was often
> sufficient.
>
> regards
> John

RASS (reliability, availability, security and scalability) are what most
really mission critical environments are looking for. While I am sure
there are some exceptions, the "neat new technologies of the day" are
typically not in the picture - certainly not at the core.

And for obvious reasons, security is becoming an even bigger issue now
as well. So, while any platform can have work done to make it much more
secure than what the base product offers, the reality facing mission
critical (and others as well) is "how do you keep it secure from known
issues?"

This is where the reputation and proven record of a platform comes into
play. If a specific platform is known as a great distributed compute
platform, but not very secure because there are 5-20 security patches
being released each and every month by the platform provider, then that
is likely not a good platform for a centralized, high security environment.

Here are a few examples of resent SCADA news releases from SCADA
providers:

http://www.vista-control.com/itanium_success.htm (Windows to OpenVMS move)
"Los Alamos, February 15th. 2007 After implementing mission-critical systems
on Windows-based computers for many years, a customer experienced a virus in
one of these systems that shut down production for two days while the
infected systems were diagnosed, restored and tested. The impact was that
plant production was severely impacted at no small cost. Despite internal
opposition because of the established standard, Vsystem on HP Itanium servers
running OpenVMS was chosen for the next system to be replaced."

http://www.availabilitydigest.com/pu...s/0209/qei.pdf (Sept 2007)
extract - "The Master Station runs on HP OpenVMS blades or towers. It can be
configured as a standalone system or in a dual, triple, or quadruple modular
redundancy configuration, as described later."

Regards

Kerry Main
Senior Consultant
HP Services Canada