ANA/DISK/SHAD not working properly - VMS

This is a discussion on ANA/DISK/SHAD not working properly - VMS ; I am getting discrepancies in SYS$ERRLOG.DMP But the HELP on /IGNORE says its suppose to ignore this file by default. VMS 7.2.3...

  1. ANA/DISK/SHAD not working properly

    I am getting discrepancies in SYS$ERRLOG.DMP

    But the HELP on /IGNORE says its suppose to ignore this file by
    default.

    VMS 7.2.3

  2. Re: ANA/DISK/SHAD not working properly

    On Mar 28, 2:07*pm, bro...@cuebid.zko.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks) wrote:
    > tadamsmar writes:
    > > I am getting discrepancies in SYS$ERRLOG.DMP

    > > But the HELP on /IGNORE says its suppose to ignore this file by
    > > default.

    > > VMS 7.2.3

    > What is the EXACT command you are using?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Rob Brooks * *MSL -- Nashua * * * * * * * * * * brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

    I have tried:

    ANAL/DISK/SHAD

    ANAL/DISK/SHAD/IGNORE

    ANAL/DISKS/SHAD/FILE

    all find a descrepancy in SYS$ERRLOG.DMP

  3. Re: ANA/DISK/SHAD not working properly

    On Mar 28, 1:31*pm, tadamsmar wrote:
    > On Mar 28, 2:07*pm, bro...@cuebid.zko.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks) wrote:
    >
    > > tadamsmar writes:
    > > > I am getting discrepancies in SYS$ERRLOG.DMP

    > > > But the HELP on /IGNORE says its suppose to ignore this file by
    > > > default.

    > > > VMS 7.2.3

    > > What is the EXACT command you are using?

    > > --

    > > Rob Brooks * *MSL -- Nashua * * * * * * * * * * brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

    > I have tried:
    >
    > ANAL/DISK/SHAD
    >
    > ANAL/DISK/SHAD/IGNORE
    >
    > ANAL/DISKS/SHAD/FILE
    >
    > all find a descrepancy in SYS$ERRLOG.DMP

    With DSA0: on the command to be EXACT.

    ANAL/DISK/SHAD DSA0:

    etc.

  4. Re: ANA/DISK/SHAD not working properly

    On Mar 28, 2:07*pm, bro...@cuebid.zko.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks) wrote:
    > tadamsmar writes:
    > > I am getting discrepancies in SYS$ERRLOG.DMP

    > > But the HELP on /IGNORE says its suppose to ignore this file by
    > > default.

    > > VMS 7.2.3

    > What is the EXACT command you are using?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Rob Brooks * *MSL -- Nashua * * * * * * * * * * brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

    I am at shadowing patch 5. The most recent is patch 6 and its release
    notes don't mention this problem.

  5. Re: ANA/DISK/SHAD not working properly

    tadamsmar writes:
    > I am getting discrepancies in SYS$ERRLOG.DMP
    >
    > But the HELP on /IGNORE says its suppose to ignore this file by
    > default.
    >
    > VMS 7.2.3

    What is the EXACT command you are using?

    --

    Rob Brooks MSL -- Nashua brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

  6. Re: ANA/DISK/SHAD not working properly

    tadamsmar wrote:
    > On Mar 28, 2:07 pm, bro...@cuebid.zko.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks) wrote:
    >> tadamsmar writes:
    >>> I am getting discrepancies in SYS$ERRLOG.DMP
    >>> But the HELP on /IGNORE says its suppose to ignore this file by
    >>> default.
    >>> VMS 7.2.3

    >[snip]
    >
    > I am at shadowing patch 5. The most recent is patch 6 and its release
    > notes don't mention this problem.

    Presumably, you are on an Alpha running OpenVMS 7.3-2. There is no such
    thing as version 7.2.3.

    There *are* changes that affect ANALYZE/DISK/SHADOW in SHADOWING-V0600
    (5.2.11 ANALYZE/DISK/SHADOW Gives Incorrect Results). Granted, they
    don't specifically mention your issue, but considering what else is in
    that kit I'd be extremely anxious to install it. I'd hate to have to
    explain to my management why my production machine fell over with a
    SHADDETINCON, INVEXCEPTN, or UNXSIGNAL bugcheck, when a remedial kit had
    been out for nearly five months.

    And if that's not enough to worry you, consider point 5.2.8 in the
    release notes: SS$_ABORT Errors Handled Incorrectly. The release note
    basically admits that a fatal drive error is handled as a "recoverable"
    error where the failing drive should have been ejected from the
    shadowset immediately. Coupled with point 5.2.7 that states not all
    shadowing errors are reported in the error log, I'd want to install this
    patch *yesterday*.

    Jim.
    --
    www.eight-cubed.com