Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200 - VMS ; From: pfaut > On Mar 27, 1:03 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote: > > If a 4GB disk (RZ29) is "as large a disk as you can find", then > > you're not looking in the right places. I ...

  1. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    From: pfaut

    > On Mar 27, 1:03 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > > If a 4GB disk (RZ29) is "as large a disk as you can find", then
    > > you're not looking in the right places. I replaced all my 9GB drives
    > > with 18GB (or larger) drives years ago, although there may still be a
    > > 9GB drive in a seldom-used AlpSta 200 4/233.

    > The system supports narrow SCSI with a 50 pin cable. The largest
    > drives I've seen with this interface are about 9GB. If you want to
    > put larger drives on it, I think you have to add a better SCSI
    > interface.

    I think that many commonly available drives having SCA interfaces
    (mated with suitable SCA-to-50-pin adapters) have worked quite well for
    me. I have a Genuine DEC (Fujitsu) RZ1CF-CF (4GB) in one system, and a
    Genuine IBM (Seagate) ST39103LC ("IBM-PSG-ST39103LC") in another. I'd
    bet a buck that I can get a 36GB drive to work in there, too, if I don't
    have to worry about keeping it cool.

    And, if you have a free PCI slot, I believe that a generic Qlogic
    looks-like-a-genuine-KZPBA-CA/CX will work just fine in one of these
    things, and they have 68-pin connectors, too.

    You need to broaden your outlook on junk. (All my disk drive are
    eBay junk.) You're missing too many exciting opportunities (some of
    which may even be functional).

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    On Mar 27, 3:32 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > You need to broaden your outlook on junk. (All my disk drive are
    > eBay junk.) You're missing too many exciting opportunities (some of
    > which may even be functional).

    You're probably correct. I started out in field service but lost
    track of the hardware a long time ago. SCSI has been through so many
    changes I don't know for sure what I can plug into this thing.

  3. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    On Mar 27, 2:32 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > From: pfaut
    >
    > > On Mar 27, 1:03 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > > > If a 4GB disk (RZ29) is "as large a disk as you can find", then
    > > > you're not looking in the right places. I replaced all my 9GB drives
    > > > with 18GB (or larger) drives years ago, although there may still be a
    > > > 9GB drive in a seldom-used AlpSta 200 4/233.

    > > The system supports narrow SCSI with a 50 pin cable. The largest
    > > drives I've seen with this interface are about 9GB. If you want to
    > > put larger drives on it, I think you have to add a better SCSI
    > > interface.

    > I think that many commonly available drives having SCA interfaces
    > (mated with suitable SCA-to-50-pin adapters) have worked quite well for
    > me. I have a Genuine DEC (Fujitsu) RZ1CF-CF (4GB) in one system, and a
    > Genuine IBM (Seagate) ST39103LC ("IBM-PSG-ST39103LC") in another. I'd
    > bet a buck that I can get a 36GB drive to work in there, too, if I don't
    > have to worry about keeping it cool.
    >
    > And, if you have a free PCI slot, I believe that a generic Qlogic
    > looks-like-a-genuine-KZPBA-CA/CX will work just fine in one of these
    > things, and they have 68-pin connectors, too.
    >
    > You need to broaden your outlook on junk. (All my disk drive are
    > eBay junk.) You're missing too many exciting opportunities (some of
    > which may even be functional).

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    Confirmed on the KZPBA-CA/CX. The single ended (not differential)
    controller works just fine in my AS200. I've been running an IBM
    Ultra-wide 9GB drive in it for a long time. However I could not run
    two drives in my box; the lower drive cable presses the memory DIMMs
    and it really does get a little too warm in there.

    Rich

+ Reply to Thread