From: sms@antinode-org (Steven M. Schweda)

> A source kit for UnZip 6.0d (pre-release, "BETA") should be available
> at the usual places:
>
> ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/beta/unzip60d.zip
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/infozip/unzip60d.zip
> [...]
> Complaints are always welcome.

There's a nasty bug in that kit, which was fixed last year, but
apparently the fix got lost, and I didn't notice it soon enough. When
unpacking a "-V" archive on a VMS system, UnZip may produce corrupt
directories. ANALYZE /DISK_STRUCTURE will emit complaints like
BAD_DIRSIZE, BAD_DIRTYPE, and so on, and something like ANALYZE
/DISK_STRUCTURE /REPAIR will be needed to straighten things out again.

This problem is likely to occur when more files existed in a
directory than were included in the archive when Zip ("-V") created the
archive. Then, when UnZip expands the archive, it may erroneously
restore some directory attributes other than date-time (for example,
size!), and the result is a corrupt directory.

A new (probably better/safer) [.vms]vms.c file should be available
here:

ftp://antinode.org/info-zip/unzip60d/vms/vms.c
http://antinode.org/ftp/info-zip/unzip60d/vms/vms.c

I'm sorry for the trouble. With any luck (and a bit more carefullness),
it'll be right in 6.00e and up.

Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
Saint Paul MN 55105-2547