Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200 - VMS ; From: pfaut > I have an AlphaStation 200 4/233 that I just installed from the latest > hobbyist kit. It works fine but you'll want as large a disk as you > can find to install it on. It will ...

  1. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    From: pfaut

    > I have an AlphaStation 200 4/233 that I just installed from the latest
    > hobbyist kit. It works fine but you'll want as large a disk as you
    > can find to install it on. It will probably take the bulk of a RZ28
    > once you get some products installed on it. My system has an RZ29 for
    > the system disk.

    If a 4GB disk (RZ29) is "as large a disk as you can find", then
    you're not looking in the right places. I replaced all my 9GB drives
    with 18GB (or larger) drives years ago, although there may still be a
    9GB drive in a seldom-used AlpSta 200 4/233.

    I'd guess that the real fun in enhancing one of these would be trying
    to find 768MB of fast-page-mode (60ns or 70ns, (true) parity) memory for
    it.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    On Mar 27, 1:03 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > If a 4GB disk (RZ29) is "as large a disk as you can find", then
    > you're not looking in the right places. I replaced all my 9GB drives
    > with 18GB (or larger) drives years ago, although there may still be a
    > 9GB drive in a seldom-used AlpSta 200 4/233.

    The system supports narrow SCSI with a 50 pin cable. The largest
    drives I've seen with this interface are about 9GB. If you want to
    put larger drives on it, I think you have to add a better SCSI
    interface.

  3. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    pfaut wrote in news:0183a1da-db9d-4dc7-8313-0b06e5b08c97
    @p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

    > On Mar 27, 1:03 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    >> If a 4GB disk (RZ29) is "as large a disk as you can find", then
    >> you're not looking in the right places. I replaced all my 9GB drives
    >> with 18GB (or larger) drives years ago, although there may still be a
    >> 9GB drive in a seldom-used AlpSta 200 4/233.

    > The system supports narrow SCSI with a 50 pin cable. The largest
    > drives I've seen with this interface are about 9GB. If you want to
    > put larger drives on it, I think you have to add a better SCSI
    > interface.

    I've put 18GB 80-pin SCA drives on a VAXstation 4000-90 with no trouble.
    I've not tried my 146GB drive I have yet, but I'd be surprised if it
    didn't "just work". An AlphaStation is quite a bit newer than my trusty
    Cougar, so I should think this is a non-issue.

    Antonio

+ Reply to Thread