Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200 - VMS

This is a discussion on Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200 - VMS ; Hi! I have an AlphaStation 200 and I am wondering if the new Hobbyist Alpha VMS CD will work with my Alpha? Or, as an alternative, does anyone in the Seattle area have media that I could borrow to do ...

  1. Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    Hi! I have an AlphaStation 200 and I am wondering if the new Hobbyist
    Alpha VMS CD will work with my Alpha? Or, as an alternative, does
    anyone in the Seattle area have media that I could borrow to do the
    install if it requires an older version? Thanks!

    James T. Sprinkle (The Grue)
    http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

  2. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    The-Grue@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi! I have an AlphaStation 200 and I am wondering if the new Hobbyist
    > Alpha VMS CD will work with my Alpha? Or, as an alternative, does
    > anyone in the Seattle area have media that I could borrow to do the
    > install if it requires an older version? Thanks!
    >
    > James T. Sprinkle (The Grue)
    > http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

    Check the Software Product Description. It should tell you what
    hardware is supported. Hardware that is not supported MAY work anyway!

  3. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    In article <47EBC406.2020002@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >The-Grue@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi! I have an AlphaStation 200 and I am wondering if the new Hobbyist
    >> Alpha VMS CD will work with my Alpha? Or, as an alternative, does
    >> anyone in the Seattle area have media that I could borrow to do the
    >> install if it requires an older version? Thanks!
    >>
    >> James T. Sprinkle (The Grue)
    >> http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

    >Check the Software Product Description. It should tell you what
    >hardware is supported. Hardware that is not supported MAY work anyway!

    The AlphaStation 200 is supported with VMS 8.3 see

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms831hquickspecs.pdf

    page 43

    VMS has a long tradition of continuing to support the latest OS versions on
    older hardware.

    Only a handfull of Alpha systems have had support dropped with more recent OS
    versions

    Dec 2000 Models 300/500
    Tadpole AlphaBook 1

    only supported upto and including VMS 7.3-1

    DEC 4000 Models 600/700
    DEC 10000 Model 600
    Alphaserver 400
    Alphaserver 2000

    only supported upto and including VMS 8.2

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

  4. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    On Mar 27, 11:52 am, The-G...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi! I have an AlphaStation 200 and I am wondering if the new Hobbyist
    > Alpha VMS CD will work with my Alpha? Or, as an alternative, does
    > anyone in the Seattle area have media that I could borrow to do the
    > install if it requires an older version? Thanks!
    >
    > James T. Sprinkle (The Grue)http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

    I have an AlphaStation 200 4/233 that I just installed from the latest
    hobbyist kit. It works fine but you'll want as large a disk as you
    can find to install it on. It will probably take the bulk of a RZ28
    once you get some products installed on it. My system has an RZ29 for
    the system disk.

  5. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    On Mar 27, 9:22*am, davi...@alpha1.mdx.ac.uk wrote:
    > In article <47EBC406.2020...@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >
    > >The-G...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >> Hi! *I have an AlphaStation 200 and I am wondering if the new Hobbyist
    > >> Alpha VMS CD will work with my Alpha? *Or, as an alternative, does
    > >> anyone in the Seattle area have media that I could borrow to do the
    > >> install if it requires an older version? *Thanks!

    > >> James T. Sprinkle (The Grue)
    > >>http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

    > >Check the Software Product Description. *It should tell you what
    > >hardware is supported. *Hardware that is not supported MAY work anyway!

    > The AlphaStation 200 is supported with VMS 8.3 see
    >
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms831hquickspecs.pdf
    >
    > page 43
    >
    > VMS has a long tradition of continuing to support the latest OS versions on
    > older hardware.
    >
    > Only a handfull of Alpha systems have had support dropped with more recentOS
    > versions
    >
    > Dec 2000 Models 300/500
    > Tadpole AlphaBook 1
    >
    > only supported upto and including VMS 7.3-1
    >
    > DEC 4000 Models 600/700
    > DEC 10000 Model 600
    > Alphaserver 400
    > Alphaserver 2000
    >
    > only supported upto and including VMS 8.2
    >
    > David Webb
    > Security team leader
    > CCSS
    > Middlesex University

    Thanks for the link. It didn't work, but I found the document here:
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/831h1quickspecs.pdf. Time to go
    order some media!

    James T. Sprinkle (The Grue)
    http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

  6. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    david20@alpha1.mdx.ac.uk wrote:
    > In article <47EBC406.2020002@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >
    >>The-Grue@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi! I have an AlphaStation 200 and I am wondering if the new Hobbyist
    >>>Alpha VMS CD will work with my Alpha? Or, as an alternative, does
    >>>anyone in the Seattle area have media that I could borrow to do the
    >>>install if it requires an older version? Thanks!
    >>>
    >>>James T. Sprinkle (The Grue)
    >>>http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

    >>Check the Software Product Description. It should tell you what
    >>hardware is supported. Hardware that is not supported MAY work anyway!
    >>

    > The AlphaStation 200 is supported with VMS 8.3 see
    >
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms831hquickspecs.pdf
    >
    > page 43
    >
    > VMS has a long tradition of continuing to support the latest OS versions on
    > older hardware.
    >
    > Only a handfull of Alpha systems have had support dropped with more recent OS
    > versions
    >
    > Dec 2000 Models 300/500
    > Tadpole AlphaBook 1
    >
    > only supported upto and including VMS 7.3-1
    >

    > DEC 4000 Models 600/700
    > DEC 10000 Model 600
    > Alphaserver 400
    > Alphaserver 2000

    I have an

    $ sho cpu/full

    System: NOMAR, AlphaServer 2000 4/275

    SMP execlet = 3 : Enabled : Streamlined.
    Config tree = None
    Primary CPU = 0
    HWRPB CPUs = 4
    Page Size = 8192
    Revision Code =
    Serial Number = NI649xxxxxxx
    Default CPU Capabilities:
    System: QUORUM RUN
    Default Process Capabilities:
    System: QUORUM RUN

    CPU 0 State: RUN CPUDB: 82018000 Handle: * None *
    Process: * None *
    Capabilities:
    System: PRIMARY QUORUM RUN RAD0
    Slot Context: 853B2180
    CPU - State..........: RC, PA, PP, CV, PV, PMV, PL
    Type...........: EV45 (21064A), Pass 1.1
    Speed..........: 275 Mhz
    Variation......: VAX FP, IEEE FP, Primary Eligible
    Serial Number..:
    Revision.......:
    Halt Request...: 0
    Software Comp..: 2.1
    PALCODE - Revision Code..: 5.56-01
    Compatibility..: 7
    Max Shared CPUs: 4
    Memory Space..: Physical = 00000000.00000000 Length = 0
    Scratch Space..: Physical = 00000000.00000000 Length = 0
    Bindings: * None *
    Fastpath: * None *
    Features:
    Autostart - Enabled.
    Fastpath - Selection enabled as Preferred CPU.

    CPU 1 State: RUN CPUDB: 8205F980 Handle: * None *
    Process: John_RTA1 PID: 0000011B
    Capabilities:
    System: QUORUM RUN RAD0
    Slot Context: 853B2400
    CPU - State..........: RC, PA, PP, CV, PV, PMV, PL
    Type...........: EV45 (21064A), Pass 1.1
    Speed..........: 275 Mhz
    Variation......: VAX FP, IEEE FP
    Serial Number..:
    Revision.......:
    Halt Request...: 0
    Software Comp..: 2.1
    PALCODE - Revision Code..: 5.56-01
    Compatibility..: 7
    Max Shared CPUs: 4
    Memory Space..: Physical = 00000000.00000000 Length = 0
    Scratch Space..: Physical = 00000000.00000000 Length = 0
    Bindings: * None *
    Fastpath:
    EWA0
    BG0
    Features:
    Autostart - Enabled.
    Fastpath - Selection enabled as Preferred CPU.

    > only supported upto and including VMS 8.2

    Running on VMS V8.3. No problems. I had no idea it was not
    supported. (This is a demo system running under DSPP licenses,
    other the the VMS base license, so has no support contract.)

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  7. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    pfaut wrote:
    > On Mar 27, 11:52 am, The-G...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>Hi! I have an AlphaStation 200 and I am wondering if the new Hobbyist
    >>Alpha VMS CD will work with my Alpha? Or, as an alternative, does
    >>anyone in the Seattle area have media that I could borrow to do the
    >>install if it requires an older version? Thanks!
    >>
    >>James T. Sprinkle (The Grue)http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

    > I have an AlphaStation 200 4/233 that I just installed from the latest
    > hobbyist kit. It works fine but you'll want as large a disk as you
    > can find to install it on. It will probably take the bulk of a RZ28
    > once you get some products installed on it. My system has an RZ29 for
    > the system disk.

    I have an AlphaStation 200 4/100 at home (hobbyist) with a pair of RZ26
    (1 GB). It is painfully tight. I had to delete the dump file to have
    enough room to install VMS83A_UPDATE-V0600 yesterday. I plan to
    install an RZ29 as soon as I can get around to it.

    I installed VMS from the real V8.3 CDs borrowed from work, not from
    the hobbyist CDs, so I can't guarantee that would work.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  8. Re: Hobbyist VMS CD and AlphaStation 200

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:10:28 -0700, John Santos wrote:

    > Type...........: EV45 (21064A), Pass 1.1

    That is old! Count the number of instructions to do
    c = a + b; /* all 16 bit integers */

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com