Re: leftover junk on my system disk. - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: leftover junk on my system disk. - VMS ; From: Neil Rieck > $dir [PCSI$UNDO_001...]/grand/siz > > Grand total of 37 directories, 737 files, 84175 blocks. > [...] > What is worse is that the junk directory was also found on three other > platforms. I deleted the junk ...

  1. Re: leftover junk on my system disk.

    From: Neil Rieck

    > $dir [PCSI$UNDO_001...]/grand/siz
    >
    > Grand total of 37 directories, 737 files, 84175 blocks.
    > [...]
    > What is worse is that the junk directory was also found on three other
    > platforms. I deleted the junk and rebooted without any problems.
    > Hopefully this information will be of use to someone else.

    I believe that you can compress the PCSI$UNDO_xxx directory contents
    (using, say, "zip -V"), but don't remove the actual directory, as that
    will confuse PCSI. That way you could save some space while retaining
    the UNDO capability. (Be sure to re-expand the stuff before trying
    that, though.) Of course, once the UNDO stuff becomes obsolete, it's
    largely (and I do mean _LARGE_ly) a waste of disk space.

    It's been a long time, and my memory is not good, but I thought that
    I did some VMS upgrade or other which deleted all that stuff
    automaically. But I could be delusional (again).

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: leftover junk on my system disk.

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > From: Neil Rieck
    >
    >> $dir [PCSI$UNDO_001...]/grand/siz

    [...]
    > It's been a long time, and my memory is not good, but I thought that
    > I did some VMS upgrade or other which deleted all that stuff
    > automaically. But I could be delusional (again).

    No, you are not delusional. Major VMS upgrades destroy those
    directories and contents (if you think about it, it makes perfect
    sense). Certain layered-product upgrades will warn you, but will not
    install if you wish to preserve the UNDO sets. Given the choice, I have
    the layered-product upgrades delete the UNDO sets. The UNDO sets just
    allow for a convenient way to "back out" a patch.

    Someone from VMS engineering will no doubt chime in here, and offer a
    quick overview of UNDO "features". :-)

  3. Re: leftover junk on my system disk.

    Look at $HELP PRODUCT DELETE RECOVERY_DATA

    Jur.

    Steven M. Schweda wrote, On 27-3-2008 0:28:
    > From: Neil Rieck
    >
    >> $dir [PCSI$UNDO_001...]/grand/siz
    >>
    >> Grand total of 37 directories, 737 files, 84175 blocks.
    >> [...]
    >> What is worse is that the junk directory was also found on three other
    >> platforms. I deleted the junk and rebooted without any problems.
    >> Hopefully this information will be of use to someone else.

    > I believe that you can compress the PCSI$UNDO_xxx directory contents
    > (using, say, "zip -V"), but don't remove the actual directory, as that
    > will confuse PCSI. That way you could save some space while retaining
    > the UNDO capability. (Be sure to re-expand the stuff before trying
    > that, though.) Of course, once the UNDO stuff becomes obsolete, it's
    > largely (and I do mean _LARGE_ly) a waste of disk space.
    >
    > It's been a long time, and my memory is not good, but I thought that
    > I did some VMS upgrade or other which deleted all that stuff
    > automaically. But I could be delusional (again).

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

+ Reply to Thread