Re: OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke - VMS ; Late interview and audio from IEEE http://spectrum.ieee.org/mar08/6075 VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote on 03/18/2008 08:18:51 PM: > Subject says it all. > > > -- > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM > > "Well my son, life is like ...

  1. Re: OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    Late interview and audio from IEEE

    http://spectrum.ieee.org/mar08/6075

    VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote on 03/18/2008 08:18:51 PM:

    > Subject says it all.
    >

    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker

    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  2. Re: OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    [...]

    More on Mr. Clarke:

    This is from a recent International Dark-Sky Association (IDA -
    http://www.darksky.org/ ) e-news email I received on Apr 3, 2008:

    IDA Mourns the Passing of Sir Arthur C. Clarke

    As a long-time supporter of dark skies and IDA, Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    became IDA's second lifetime member in March 1992. He will long be
    remembered for his tremendous contributions.

    Arthur C. Clarke: Luminaires Pay Tribute

    by Clara Moskowitz, Space.com, March 19, 2008
    .... As news of Arthur C. Clarke's death spread through communities of
    scientists, writers and science fiction fans, many people shared their
    memories of how the visionary writer, inventor and futurist inspired
    and influenced them.

    The following is an excerpt of a letter to IDA from Sir Arthur C.
    Clarke, published in the IDA Newsletter, December 2001, Issue #48

    Light pollution is essentially a phenomenon that emerged during the
    20th century, thanks to the spread of urbanization and
    electrification. In just a few decades, it has become a major problem
    that prevents millions of people from accessing clear night skies. Is
    it not a tragedy that our children and grandchildren cannot enjoy the
    night sky the way our forefathers have looked at it with awe and
    interest for thousands of years? I have been a keen amateur
    astronomer for most of my life, and little did I imagine that someday
    I would be part of a crusade to preserve the wilderness of the sky
    that I took for granted in my youth. Yet it is not too late to save
    our skies: we can achieve this through heightened awareness, correct
    planning, and appropriate use of lighting technology. Your active
    participation and campaigning with the IDA can help ensure that the
    nights are restored to what they ought to be in as many locations as
    possible.

    All good wishes,

    Sir Arthur C. Clarke

    AEF