AlphaStation 255 dead - VMS

This is a discussion on AlphaStation 255 dead - VMS ; Hello, today one of our AlphaStations 255 just crashed and refuses to boot anymore. It powers up, the disks spin up but the monitor remains dark. There is no beeping sound, just a green LED on the mainboard. We replaced ...

  1. AlphaStation 255 dead

    Hello,

    today one of our AlphaStations 255 just crashed and refuses to boot anymore.
    It powers up, the disks spin up but the monitor remains dark. There is no
    beeping sound, just a green LED on the mainboard. We replaced the graphics card
    with no luck, so what else could we try?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  2. Re: AlphaStation 255 dead

    Christoph Gartmann wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > today one of our AlphaStations 255 just crashed and refuses to boot anymore.
    > It powers up, the disks spin up but the monitor remains dark. There is no
    > beeping sound, just a green LED on the mainboard. We replaced the graphics card
    > with no luck, so what else could we try?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Christoph Gartmann

    Did you replace the monitor?

    Have you tried talking to it via a serial port?

  3. Re: AlphaStation 255 dead

    In article <47E92708.8060003@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >Christoph Gartmann wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> today one of our AlphaStations 255 just crashed and refuses to boot anymore.
    >> It powers up, the disks spin up but the monitor remains dark. There is no
    >> beeping sound, just a green LED on the mainboard. We replaced the graphics card
    >> with no luck, so what else could we try?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Christoph Gartmann
    >>

    >Did you replace the monitor?

    Yes, I did.

    >Have you tried talking to it via a serial port?

    Via both ports, nothing.

    Meanwhile I noticed that the battery is empty. Could this cause such a problem?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  4. Re: AlphaStation 255 dead

    Christoph Gartmann wrote:
    > In article <47E92708.8060003@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >
    >>Christoph Gartmann wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>today one of our AlphaStations 255 just crashed and refuses to boot anymore.
    >>>It powers up, the disks spin up but the monitor remains dark. There is no
    >>>beeping sound, just a green LED on the mainboard. We replaced the graphics card
    >>>with no luck, so what else could we try?
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>> Christoph Gartmann
    >>>

    >>Did you replace the monitor?

    > Yes, I did.
    >

    >>Have you tried talking to it via a serial port?

    > Via both ports, nothing.
    >
    > Meanwhile I noticed that the battery is empty. Could this cause such a problem?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Christoph Gartmann

    If your battery is dead, it will affect your TOY clock but I don't think
    it should keep you from booting. It would not, however, hurt to replace it.

  5. Re: AlphaStation 255 dead

    On Mar 25, 3:28 pm, gartm...@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph
    Gartmann) wrote:
    > In article <47E92708.8060...@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >
    > >Christoph Gartmann wrote:
    > >> Hello,

    > >> today one of our AlphaStations 255 just crashed and refuses to boot anymore.
    > >> It powers up, the disks spin up but the monitor remains dark. There is no
    > >> beeping sound, just a green LED on the mainboard. We replaced the graphics card
    > >> with no luck, so what else could we try?

    > >> Regards,
    > >> Christoph Gartmann

    > >Did you replace the monitor?

    > Yes, I did.
    >
    > >Have you tried talking to it via a serial port?

    > Via both ports, nothing.
    >
    > Meanwhile I noticed that the battery is empty. Could this cause such a problem?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Christoph Gartmann
    >
    > --
    > Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -452
    > Immunbiologie
    > Postfach 1169 Internet: gartmann@immunbio dot mpg dot de
    > D-79011 Freiburg, Germany
    > http://www.immunbio.mpg.de/home/menue.html

    Some Alpha models were extremely sensitive to a dead battery; UDB/
    Multia would often not even work at console level with a dead
    battery. Its certainly worth a try.

    If you have the service guide or if the user guide covers it you can
    check to see if there's a 'last chance' jumper on the motherboard. On
    some models (AS200 I think) you can get into the SROM and actually
    boot to console using a firmware floppy disk; its used if the SRM/Arc
    firmware get corrupted. I really don't remember what its called
    though.

  6. Re: AlphaStation 255 dead

    In article ,
    gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:

    > today one of our AlphaStations 255 just crashed and refuses to boot anymore.
    > It powers up, the disks spin up but the monitor remains dark. There is no
    > beeping sound, just a green LED on the mainboard. We replaced the graphics card
    > with no luck, so what else could we try?

    Before I saw it was you, I was going to suggest checking the capacitor
    between mouse and SCSI connections on the motherboard. :-)

  7. Re: AlphaStation 255 dead

    In article , helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:
    >In article ,
    >gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:
    >
    >> today one of our AlphaStations 255 just crashed and refuses to boot anymore.
    >> It powers up, the disks spin up but the monitor remains dark. There is no
    >> beeping sound, just a green LED on the mainboard. We replaced the graphics card
    >> with no luck, so what else could we try?

    >Before I saw it was you, I was going to suggest checking the capacitor
    >between mouse and SCSI connections on the motherboard. :-)

    This is not the problem as the phenomenon is completely different. Meanwhile we
    know that it is the motherboard itself :-(

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany